The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derek Dorsett | #15 | RW

-SN-

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Of course, but maybe only a mid-level pick, very likely more at the TDL for an aspiring playoff team.  His salary is only slightly more than Hansen's.  Recall that both Linden and Benning had him targeted even before they had spoken with each other.

For sure.. he'd be a great rental for a playoff team.  

We could always take a contract back, too.  Ways around the salary issue.

• 4 months later...

Dorsett has a hill to climb. There's quite a few players providing competition for Dorsett (Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Rodin, and maybe Gagner and Granlund/Eriksson). He's also coming off a season ending injury requiring surgery. At his age and how physical he plays, I'm having my doubts he plays a regular role and he may end his career early. Just a feeling.   

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Dorsett has a hill to climb. There's quite a few players providing competition for Dorsett (Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Rodin, and maybe Gagner and Granlund/Eriksson). He's also coming off a season ending injury requiring surgery. At his age and how physical he plays, I'm having my doubts he plays a regular role and he may end his career early. Just a feeling.   

Not seeing him play for a whole year tends to fade what the guy brings. Of your list the only possible 4th liners he has to contend with is maybe Virtanen. The others are higher up the food chain. Even Virtanen would probably benefit more from AHL time. Gaunce and Chaput are 4th line candidates. My issue with Dorsett is more general in the sense that there are to many vets still on this roster. 

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Not seeing him play for a whole year tends to fade what the guy brings. Of your list the only possible 4th liners he has to contend with is maybe Virtanen. The others are higher up the food chain. Even Virtanen would probably benefit more from AHL time. Gaunce and Chaput are 4th line candidates. My issue with Dorsett is more general in the sense that there are to many vets still on this roster. 

Yeah, he brings a lot to the Canucks (leadership, grit, energy), but there are some younger guys wanting to make a push and I wonder about that. I think you may be right about Virtanen staying in Utica and Dorsett playing #4RW. But I can also see a scenario where Dorsett misses games and Virtanen is called up in his place. Rodin is a real curiosity for me. In his prime and still trying to make the NHL. I'm guessing this is his last chance.  

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, he brings a lot to the Canucks (leadership, grit, energy), but there are some younger guys wanting to make a push and I wonder about that. I think you may be right about Virtanen staying in Utica and Dorsett playing #4RW. But I can also see a scenario where Dorsett misses games and Virtanen is called up in his place. Rodin is a real curiosity for me. In his prime and still trying to make the NHL. I'm guessing this is his last chance.  

Rodin is almost a classic example of how a NHL talented player can have his career ruined. He comes to NA and has a good first season in Chicago and comes back for season two and gets injured. The situation in Chicago was a disaster IMHO. The Canucks pretty much write the guy off and he rebuilds his career in Sweden. Gets injured again as he hits new heights. 

• Upvote 1

Rodin being in the lineup should require him basically being a standout at camp.  

I am not keen on Dorsett's contract for what he brings offensively, but as a 4th liner he plays the role well.  Always stands up for his teammates (even if he loses most fights), is a decent hitter, has good speed still and can chip in here and there.  Let's face it - our team isn't the biggest or the toughest around so if you take DD out of the picture we have even less to work with.

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Rodin being in the lineup should require him basically being a standout at camp.  

I am not keen on Dorsett's contract for what he brings offensively, but as a 4th liner he plays the role well.  Always stands up for his teammates (even if he loses most fights), is a decent hitter, has good speed still and can chip in here and there.  Let's face it - our team isn't the biggest or the toughest around so if you take DD out of the picture we have even less to work with.

I don't think he was ever signed for his offensive production. Anyone who thinks that needs to stick their head out of the stats sheet and watch his game. lol

• Upvote 2

Ya I'm pretty fine with DDs contract guy earns it. Somebody has to teach the kids what it looks like to play hard. I wouldn't say they are  seeing much of that from our current leadership group The Sedins look like they need a ride from the zamboni to get off the ice after taking a shift was about as intense as public skate at Brittania. Loui is in lala land most of the time and Gud delivered more death threats than hits last season. Dorse is one of the few Canucks left who leaves it all on the ice each night.

I really hope he can come back Dorsett Sutter Virtanen is the line I would have out every time Mc Jesus sandals hit the ice. With Malhotra behind the bench its time the Canucks had an elite shutdown line again to do the heavy lifting while we sort out who of Dahlen, Pettersson, Baertschi, Goldobin, Granlund, Rodin, will be the next Mason Raymond and who will be the next Grabbner. (I think this is a pretty good analogy though I'm hoping for higher dividends)

Best way to evaluate would be to let them play. DD is a guy who can help create the type of environment the kids will need to show their stuff.

6 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

With Dorsett, you know what you're going to get night in and night out.  Virtanen could very well be that guy in a season or two, but for now, it's still just potential.  With that in mind, I'd rather have Dorsett in the lineup than Virtanen (though Virtanen still qualifies as a relatively new and shiny piece in the toy box that I'm still curious to see play in the NHL).

Wouldn't you say that even though there are the Sedins and Eriksson as senior citizens on the team that Dorsett brings a valuable element to the game that doesn't exist with the aforementioned Swedes?  Anyways, I'm a Dorsett fan, so I'm biased in his favor...I'll take three Derek Dorsett's on my fourth line anytime.  DD is, IMHO, the gutsiest player the Canucks have had since Rick Rypien. 

Don't get me wrong I am a Dorsett fan as well. My concern is the total number of vets on the roster. If this is a rebuilding team at some point TOI has to be available for prospects to develop. It might mean poorer results on the score sheet but to an extent that is the nature of the beast. IMHO Dorsett really helped Horvat in his rookie season. He plays the game at both ends well. We will see how he does this fall but I do see him as a possible TDL piece.

Since the Twins are likely done at the end of this season the issue over vet TOI likely resolves itself.  

• Upvote 2

On 8/9/2017 at 6:27 AM, Boudrias said:

Don't get me wrong I am a Dorsett fan as well. My concern is the total number of vets on the roster. If this is a rebuilding team at some point TOI has to be available for prospects to develop. It might mean poorer results on the score sheet but to an extent that is the nature of the beast. IMHO Dorsett really helped Horvat in his rookie season. He plays the game at both ends well. We will see how he does this fall but I do see him as a possible TDL piece.

Since the Twins are likely done at the end of this season the issue over vet TOI likely resolves itself.  

My guess is it will depend on how "tough" we are during the season and how the season unfolds in general for us. Dorsett originally came in to provide a little toughness for the team in general.

Unlike other vets that we have, he's one of the few who could potentially be there to protect our youth. I look back to when Stetcher was hit for example and Miller came to the rescue. While I think it's awesome that Miller did that, our goalie shouldn't have to stand up for our players. Dorsett was injured most of last season and it felt apparent, at least to me, that we were getting pushed around a little more than we should at times.

However, perhaps prospects such as Lebate and Pedan get more time with the team and we actually see more push back from our youth. Then our demand for players like Dorsett will become less and we can trade him at the deadline or just not resign him after his contract expires in a couple of years.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, The Lock said:

My guess is it will depend on how "tough" we are during the season and how the season unfolds in general for us. Dorsett originally came in to provide a little toughness for the team in general.

Unlike other vets that we have, he's one of the few who could potentially be there to protect our youth. I look back to when Stetcher was hit for example and Miller came to the rescue. While I think it's awesome that Miller did that, our goalie shouldn't have to stand up for our players. Dorsett was injured most of last season and it felt apparent, at least to me, that we were getting pushed around a little more than we should at times.

However, perhaps prospects such as Lebate and Pedan get more time with the team and we actually see more push back from our youth. Then our demand for players like Dorsett will become less and we can trade him at the deadline or just not resign him after his contract expires in a couple of years.

Totally agree with this. Although fighting is down, you still need a player or three to keep the other team honest. Dorsett supplied some of that two seasons ago, and yeah, last year we were pushed around a bit. I am concerned about Dorsett's future. Neck injuries, requiring the repair level his did, don't usually come all the way back. I would rather not see Dorsett laid out and crippled. We have some up-and-coming players, like Labate, Pedan and don't forget about McEwen; Laplante has a chance, but very slim, I don't think he has enough talent to play full time in the NHL. The aforementioned guys would likely be less expensive than the somewhat extravagant contract Dorsett has.

A few guys will be gunning for those bottom 6 spots, but I'm glad to have Dorsett and his motor as the pace car in camp. 

Not only does he fill a huge toughness / sandpaper role... He may actually be a great catalyst on a 4th line since he makes a ton of things happen - just with no finish.  With a more skilled 4th line this year maybe he chips in a bit more than in the past. 

Either way glad to hear he's (reportedly) healthy and ready to go.  Missed him last season.