The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derek Dorsett | #15 | RW

-SN-

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Totally agree

Dorsett has enough skill to actually contribute in developing the youth, as well as playing "the big brother" role in helping to create a safer work environment.

You don't actually have to "win" fights per se. Getting punched hurts, no way around it, and Dorsett certainly doesn't mind dishing or receiving to make a point. He's a good deterent and a solid role model for hard work, intesity and push back. He's definitely not a skateaway-with-head-down-guy.

The thought of Jimbo getting Kane next summer is enticing. And with Virtanen and Gadjovic coming up in the next few years, Dorsett could really make a mark and prove very useful in developing 

"skilled(ish) truculence"

Good post

10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Totally agree

Dorsett has enough skill to actually contribute in developing the youth, as well as playing "the big brother" role in helping to create a safer work environment.

You don't actually have to "win" fights per se. Getting punched hurts, no way around it, and Dorsett certainly doesn't mind dishing or receiving to make a point. He's a good deterent and a solid role model for hard work, intesity and push back. He's definitely not a skateaway-with-head-down-guy.

The thought of Jimbo getting Kane next summer is enticing. And with Virtanen and Gadjovic coming up in the next few years, Dorsett could really make a mark and prove very useful in developing 

Agree 100%

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, luckylager said:

Totally agree

Exactly. The overall approach to the game should involve more physical play. Not just fighting. Hitting. Staying strong on the puck. Not backing down or letting someone repeatedly slap you.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, luckylager said:

Well said, lucky. I think an overall pack mentality is woefully overdue for this team, and having guys like Dorsett and Gudbranson help that cause innumerably. I like the fact that White is looking at the PTO with all intentions of making the team, as this team needs far more feistiness and aggression to go with the young skilled and fast players.

I'm hoping Kane is as intent on signing with Vancouver, as I've heard.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. The overall approach to the game should involve more physical play. Not just fighting. Hitting. Staying strong on the puck. Not backing down or letting someone repeatedly slap you.

Well said, lucky. I think an overall pack mentality is woefully overdue for this team, and having guys like Dorsett and Gudbranson help that cause innumerably. I like the fact that White is looking at the PTO with all intentions of making the team, as this team needs far more feistiness and aggression to go with the young skilled and fast players.

I'm hoping Kane is as intent on signing with Vancouver, as I've heard.

Well said, Blunt

• Upvote 1

On 9/5/2017 at 3:42 PM, luckylager said:

Totally agree

Even if Dorsett doesn't win he takes that player off the ice for 5 minutes. For some players that's a deterrent on it's own. Some will take liberties when knowing nobody will come after them but are less likely if it means 5 in the box. Nothing will deter the knuckle draggers of the league. Although there's few of them left.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn’t mind seeing Dorset packaged with a mid level prospect in order to get us a pick in this draft.

He’s great on the pk and forecheck but once gaunce is healthy Dorset becomes a little bit redundant.

Canucks could carry Archinald as the 13th forward and put him in on games they might need a greater physical presence.

If Dorset was on a 1.5 mill deal, maybe it’s no biggie keeping him around as the 13th forward. But it’s gunna be hard watching 2+ million sitting in the press box. 

Edited by Canadian Clay

On 9/21/2017 at 5:23 PM, cripplereh said:

If jake makes the team I just do not see room for DD

buy out?? trade???

I think he will be on the team but again we do not know as of yet if any youngster will make the team which means someone has to go and at his price might be him out

Can Dorset be put on waivers ?  

53 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty sure he would clear.  Damaged goods on a way overpaid contract. No one would touch it  i would think. 

Don't be so sure - he has a decent NHL resume and is a character player who can skate well enough in the fast game.   I personally would like to see Virtanen get more of the chance than he does as I don't see him as a long-term fit for Canucks but he is a better player than many here think and IF he is recovered from his injury (gruesome as it was), he can be a very effective contributor.   

I just really like the fact that Dorsett doesn't ever quit.  My son chose 15 for his own number after watching an interview with Dorsett and his father about how he'd been told his whole life that he wasn't good enough, but he worked hard enough to make it.  I'm not all that concerned about the fighting.  It's the effort that serves as an inspiration.  Love that.  Hope he keeps it up.

• Upvote 3

Derek Dorsett's pride, pace, pesky play spark shutdown winger:

Derek Dorsett seemed stunned by the summation.

Reminded that his projected role with the Vancouver Canucks has been widely scrutinized — he may not be an every day player because of what the 30-year-old winger has endured with his health and the taxing game he must play — he paused for a moment Saturday.

And then came this following a satisfying 3-2 victory over the Edmonton Oilers at Rogers Arena in which Dorsett turned back the clock and turned up the effort.

“I think I’m an every day player,” he started. “I don’t listen to too much noise outside the arena. Tonight was a good proving point that I can still play coming off the injury. Travis (Green) has given me the opportunity to play against really good players and it’s been fun. I keep my head down and do what I’ve been doing my whole career.”

What Dorsett did Saturday cemented his role as a checker, antagonist and penalty killer. He combined with Brandon Sutter and Markus Granlund to shut down Connor McDavid, he plastered Oscar Klefbom to the wall that led to Sutter’s goal, he had six hits, three blocked shots and drew a penalty on a partial breakaway.

Dorsett also helped hold the Oilers to one power play goal while logging a whopping 17:20 of ice time, the most since his 19:29 with the Columbus Blue Jackets on Feb. 2, 2013 against the Detroit Red Wings.

“We wanted to play him hard,” Dorsett said of McDavid, who was run and tied up by the winger in the neutral zone and held to just two shots. “We finished on him so he didn’t get past us with speed.

“We played with a lot of energy and spunk. We want to be harder to play against. That’s not fighting. That’s being heavy on the puck and finishing checks.”

All that just makes Dorsett’s revival more amazing.

Cervical fusion surgery last December in Los Angeles shut down his season. It led to a long and arduous rehab and widespread wonderment of what the Canucks could still get out of a guy with two years left on his contract at $2.65 million US annually.

It wasn’t just that the C5 and C6 vertebrae were fused, bone spurs shaved and a building disc removed and replaced by a plastic spacer and bone marrow from Dorsett’s hip. He had hip and hernia problems dating back to the 2015 playoff series with the Calgary Flames.

Now he’s healthy, happier and faster and focused to be more than a roster option.

“There are times in your career where you have to find a way to keep yourself relevant,” added Dorsett. “I’ve tried my whole career to not pigeonhole myself and just be a scrapper and energy guy.

“I’m a fan of the game. I watched five or six games Saturday, watched the penalty kill and what wingers are doing throughout the league just to improve myself.

“The hardest thing to do is make the league and next hardest is to stay in the league. If I have to outwork somebody younger than me, and prove I can still play, that’s what I’m going to do every day.”

And that’s where it’s going to get interesting.

At some point, Jake Virtanen and Brock Boeser are both going to be in the lineup. The trickle-down effect would be to disrupt the line balance that was on display Saturday that kept Henrik and Daniel Sedin to 13:30 and 14:02 of ice time respectively.

The most natural fit for Boeser is with Bo Horvat and Sven Baertschi, but Loui Eriksson was on right wing against the Oilers. It’s a pleasant problem and one that will be easier to fix if the Canucks don’t maintain the pace and forechecking ferocity they showed in their season opener.

However, the one staple through the pre-season was that there was something special in the Sutter-Dorsett pairing.

The Flames tried to match Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau against McDavid and Leon Draisaitl and wound up defending and had little offensive pushback because they were bagged. Sutter has always been good in the circle and has been more effective in matches because it’s easier to pin star players in their own zone when Dorsett is wreaking forechecking havoc.

“I thought we’ve had some pretty good chemistry and we’re playing minutes against good players and you need bite and snarl,” said Sutter. “And he (Dorsett) has got it for us.”

As a rookie, Bo Horvat had a mentor in Derek Dorsett.

Horvat spent his rookie season with Dorsett as his seat mate on club charters. The kid picked the veteran’s brain during those long flights and what he gleaned was clearly evident Saturday. Practice hard and play harder has always been Dorsett’s mantra. He said this is the toughest camp of his nine-year career and it’s paying off with the jump everybody has.

“He’s the fuel that keeps the fire going,” said Horvat. He’s a huge key to our team. He’s a leader.“

Green has already acknowledged that in a tough division and conference and with a brutal travel schedule, Virtanen and Boeser may only play between 50-60 games. They need to get acclimated to the grind of the NHL season, something Dorsett knows all about.

“He’s a character guy,” Green said Dorsett. “We’ve been talking about a style we want to play and he’s fought back from a tough injury and is deserving of where he’s playing right now.”

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-derek-dorsetts-pride-pace-pesky-play-spark-shutdown-winger

• Upvote 3

Not surprised at all with Dorsett's game yesterday.  He played the exact same role for AV back in New York, and was used in PK situations, out int he last minute, and agitating the opponents effectively.

Really happy he was able to show that he has more in his repetoire than what most people would give him credit for.  He is integral for our team moving forward

Dorsett reminds me a lot of Biega in that both players feel like they shouldn't make the opening roster, but both work so hard that it's hard to keep them off. Good on Dorsett for working his way onto the team.

• 2 weeks later...