The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | #26 | RW

-SN-

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  That's cutting it close then, waiting until the draft.  I wonder if Etem's getting qualified depends on who we draft then?  If we get Tkatchuk, maybe there is no spot for Etem?

That would be sad. Etem looks poised for a breakout. He is so close to becoming an indispensible bottom six forward for almost any team. He is a puck hog, who is strong, fast and skilled. Only just figuring out what to do with the puck once he has it. But with that component in place (and hopefully, it sticks and continues to grow in him), his ceiling can be quite high. Silly not to see how well he develops in out 4th line considering how poor out 4th line options are.

11 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

That would be sad. Etem looks poised for a breakout. He is so close to becoming an indispensible bottom six forward for almost any team. He is a puck hog, who is strong, fast and skilled. Only just figuring out what to do with the puck once he has it. But with that component in place (and hopefully, it sticks and continues to grow in him), his ceiling can be quite high. Silly not to see how well he develops in out 4th line considering how poor out 4th line options are.

Do you mean "puck hound"?  Hansen is a puck hound.  Burrows is a puck hound.  Like Dogs chasing balls; they stop at nothing until they posses it.  A puck hog is like Yakupov - refuses to see he has teammates to pass to.

2 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

I think Etem could be the most improved player on the NUX this year if not stuck on the 4th.

If he plays on the third:

Baertschi-Horvat-Etem, that line could do some serious damage, and honestly outscore our second line.

Weren't those three together for the last 10 games of the season, and did really well?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Weren't those three together for the last 10 games of the season, and did really well?

Only the one game against Chicago.  WD already said he doesn't think it's good for Horvat to play with Baertschi.  He prefers him with defensive wingers.

He had Baertschi with Granlund whenever possible to finish the season and had Horvat with Etem and Dorsett (also a few games with Higgins).

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do you mean "puck hound"?  Hansen is a puck hound.  Burrows is a puck hound.  Like Dogs chasing balls; they stop at nothing until they posses it.  A puck hog is like Yakupov - refuses to see he has teammates to pass to.

No i see him as a puck-hog. Ie, he maintains posession strikingly well for a bottom six forward against top six opposition. Infact, once you get the puck to Etem, he holds on to it better than many top six forwards in the league. He just doesnt know what to do with the puck- he started to show the mental awareness when he was teamed up with Horvat and i hope we keep him, because Etem can be a consistent 40-60 point player if he can just figure out what to do with the puck once he has it. Guy has speed, stamina, good hands and is pretty strong.

48 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

No i see him as a puck-hog. Ie, he maintains posession strikingly well for a bottom six forward against top six opposition. Infact, once you get the puck to Etem, he holds on to it better than many top six forwards in the league. He just doesnt know what to do with the puck- he started to show the mental awareness when he was teamed up with Horvat and i hope we keep him, because Etem can be a consistent 40-60 point player if he can just figure out what to do with the puck once he has it. Guy has speed, stamina, good hands and is pretty strong.

Okay:)

i just see puck hog as a negative. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Okay:)

i just see puck hog as a negative. 

There is a very fine line between being a puck hog and a possession demon. Pretty much, assuming all attributes are the same, it boils down to knowing what to do with the puck. Etem lacks that, true. But he has shown tantalizing signs of progress in this regard and intellectual growth of their own game is rare, but not unheard of.

Unlike your quintessential puck hogs, like say Kessler or Evander Kane, Etem doesnt just 'bull his way to the net and get a shot off ASAP' x million, he mostly circles the zone, flys by behind the net, goes to the board and then back to the blueline, all the while with the puck. He is trying to do something with it, but is either just not sure enough of himself or doesn't react fast enough to make plays happen.
If the latter is true, well then he is going to end up as a low-level puck hog. 

But the last 20 games of the season showed, Etem is progressing with his playmaking and puck decisions. he is also pretty young, so there is a decent enough chance that his problem is the former and hopefully, can be rectified to some extent with coaching. 

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  That's cutting it close then, waiting until the draft.  I wonder if Etem's getting qualified depends on who we draft then?  If we get Tkatchuk, maybe there is no spot for Etem?

Got the date wrong - it's Monday the 27th.  Technically it's the latest of the 25th or the first Monday following the draft.

40 minutes ago, mll said:

Got the date wrong - it's Monday the 27th.  Technically it's the latest of the 25th or the first Monday following the draft.

That's better.  NOT.  Oh boy, my guess is JB is waiting to see what happens during the draft: who we trade, and who we draft.

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Of course he will be qualified. Why wouldn't he be?

You are right. There is no reason not to qualify Etem -- no gain at all. It looks like it may have some sort of misunderstanding in the media -- that Benning wanted to talk to his agent face to face before just filing the QO. I still don't really understand it, though, as I don't the harm in filing a QO.

Maybe someone just forgot something. :lol:

1 hour ago, combover said:

Dime a dozen bottom six that doesn't hit rarely scores.  Jensen would have been able to do anything etem has done as a Canuck had he been given a chance. We have better options in the farm than what etem showed as a Canuck. 

Get over it. Jensen had opportunities. He didn't capitalize. Etem's game improved as the season moved on. We all saw it.

6 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

Signed a one year deal just now.  great to hear.  can't wait to see what he can do for a full season.

Why not a two year deal, so we could expose him for the coming expansion draft?  Or could we expose him anyway?

Archived