The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | #26 | RW

-SN-

4 hours ago, Qwags said:

Tonight is Etem's last chance. You can quote me on it. That being said, I hope I'm wrong.

Well, he's certainly been more impressive tonight than in the games in which he's actually been in the lineup.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's one thing to be a veteran with a guaranteed spot and coasting through the pre-season, but quite another to KNOW you're on the bubble and yet still not bring it and put it all out on the ice.  Short of injury, there really is no excuse.

He plays like a chicken with its head cut off. Etem is the worst roster player this camp. He has no personality either...seems like a guy the boys won't miss very much

On August 29, 2016 at 10:22 PM, oldnews said:

Whatever that is.   He brought a very good player back to Anaheim.  

Dealing Etem for Hagelin - not exactly "giving up on him."

Tbf, Murray doing his job and milking Etem's 'potential' doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't give up on him. 

10 hours ago, guntrix said:

doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't give up on him. 

:rolleyes: and vice versa - trading him for a player like Hagelin doesn't necessarily mean they "gave up" on him.

did the Canucks "give up" on Jared McCann, or did they use him to acquire a more seasoned player that they needed?

your claim was pointless/baseless.

13 hours ago, iinatcc said:

What happened to Etem?

Wasn't he one of the more promising players The Ducks had at one point?

Yeah, he was a first-rounder if I remember correctly and was looking promising at one point due to his combo of size and speed.

I personally found myself automatically writing him into a roster spot, but this pre-season has made me realize that he probably doesn't deserve it. He hasn't played horribly, but a few others have outplayed him.

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

:rolleyes: and vice versa - trading him for a player like Hagelin doesn't necessarily mean they "gave up" on him.

did the Canucks "give up" on Jared McCann, or did they use him to acquire a more seasoned player that they needed?

your claim was pointless/baseless.

Your claim was pretty pointless/baseless to begin with so it's fair to say that no one knows. 

Considering his trajectory so far, Ducks management seeing Etem's shortfalls and deciding to move on a trade quick before his value dropped is a distinct possibility. 

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

At this point, would rather he swap with Zalewski, or even Labate.

Wouldn't mind seeing Labate rotate in for a few games here and there but a 4th line of Etem/Virtanen/LaBate - Gaunce - Dorsett is a pretty good, hard checking line with a bit of offensive skill, decent defensive awareness and hopefully Gaunce can get back to taking faceoffs well enough for the line to not become a liability.

11 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Etem looks like he will be waived to me

wouldn't be surprised if that happened at this time tmr. and i wouldn't be surprised if no NHL team took him on. i hope he works hard in utica and comes back with a vengeance. but a part of me isn't holding out too much hope for that to happen. still rooting for him to be a better player. still relatively young. but side is certainly not so much on his time to prove his worth. 

32 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Wouldn't mind seeing Labate rotate in for a few games here and there but a 4th line of Etem/Virtanen/LaBate - Gaunce - Dorsett is a pretty good, hard checking line with a bit of offensive skill, decent defensive awareness and hopefully Gaunce can get back to taking faceoffs well enough for the line to not become a liability.

Gaunce will get better over time. he has since he's been drafted by the Canucks. the kid seems to have the determination and the IQ to get to where he needs to be in the NHL. 

For a guy who says he needs to play with speed to be successful, it doesn't seem like he's very fast to start with. His skating stride is so low that it takes forever for him to get to full speed and once he does he doesn't have the balance or hockey sense to make a play. I love the way Gaunce plays and Granlund has played well with anyone he's been paired with. I agree that he's in danger.

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Gaunce will get better over time. he has since he's been drafted by the Canucks. the kid seems to have the determination and the IQ to get to where he needs to be in the NHL. 

Agreed he is a winner. Did you see the way he was taking instruction from Willie on the last play? The guy is like a sponge, he just keeps learning and getting better.

19 hours ago, junglesniper said:

For a guy who says he needs to play with speed to be successful, it doesn't seem like he's very fast to start with. His skating stride is so low that it takes forever for him to get to full speed and once he does he doesn't have the balance or hockey sense to make a play. I love the way Gaunce plays and Granlund has played well with anyone he's been paired with. I agree that he's in danger.

i have wondered about etem's skating as well. he seems to over balance a bit. he is obviously strong though. maybe a skating coach or something needed? he looked pretty decent i think last night. made  a good plays and was close to getting an assist or two. i think at this stage he gives you more than labate. 

Archived