The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

I don't buy that.

There's always room for speed and skill on every team, no matter what size a player is.

If guys like Schwartz and Gallagher can be among their teams best players, there's no reason why Schroeder can't succeed. He just needs to be given an opportunity.

I agree, the issue is where does he fit with this core.

IMO for what it's worth you see a different game from Gallagher then Schroeder. One is a perimeter player the other is a guy that enjoys the rough and tumble. Different type of players. Their size is the only common denominator.

IMO for what it's worth you see a different game from Gallagher then Schroeder. One is a perimeter player the other is a guy that enjoys the rough and tumble. Different type of players. Their size is the only common denominator.

Schwartz plays the same style as Schroeder and he has success.

Sure Gallagher has more grit, but Schroeder isn't a perimeter player. When given linemates that can open up some space for him, he has no problem going to the dirty areas.

Hey Ciff Ronning enjoyed great success but we're talking anomalies. There's a few successful small players.....there's a whole pile of successful big players. I'd think probably ( no stats I'm afraid ) 25-1 in favour of the big players and maybe that's conservative

Edited by Fred65

Hey Ciff Ronning enjoyed great success but we're talking anomalies. There's a few successful small players.....there's a whole pile of successful big players. I'd think probably ( no stats I'm afraid ) 25-1 in favour of the big players and maybe that's conservative

I would go out on a limb and say the odds of a small players having success have gone up in the last 5 years; more than they have in the previous 10 years.

The clutch and grab era made it almost impossible for smaller players. But with the new rules of holding, hooking, and interference, the rules are more favourable then they've ever been for small players. It's only in the playoffs that the refs seem to revert back to the clutch and grab era.

Just an ignorant fan.

It's just like the people that continually called Grabner a bust and then whined after we traded him and he played really well.

Fans in this market seem to think players are duds if they're not impact players by age 21. Too much impatience, and not enouggh understanding of player development.

Exactly. Grabner wasn't good enough defensively, Hodgson was too slow, and now Schroeder is too small. Even though he's the same size as he was in his draft year, when people lauded him as a steal. Fans have to understand that we're not picking in the top 5, our prospects are going to take time to improve. Schroeder is 22, the same age as Grabner was when he first played for us. Plus, after he was sent down to the AHL, he responded very well. 14 points in 12 games compared to 19 points in his 30 games before getting called up. And he was doing it with an injured shoulder too.

I wonder what we'll be saying about Gaunce if he doesn't instantly make the team?

I wonder what we'll be saying about Gaunce if he doesn't instantly make the team?

Well the criticism in his draft year was his foot speed/skating ability, but that's beside the point.

I'm with you bro, I fully believe Schroeder is/will be an NHLer. He was clearly the better option over Ebbett this year, but AV wanted his LHC. I think it's realistic to see Schroeder in the 40-50 pt range in his NHL career, and from what I've seen he's more than capable of playing that tough 3C role.

I'm also curious as to see how Schroeder plays when our system gets changed with a new coach and of course our new affiliate. It could well be the case that he's given the room to use his offensive gifts like he did in college. I'd like to see his numbers after finally getting 1C minutes, even at the AHL level. If it's the case that our defence first structure changes, I think we'll see a far more dynamic Schroeder.

---

Back to GAUNCE - skating ability is clearly something that can be fixed, and for a guy that's 6'2" his stride will make up for it. It's also a strange criticism to make, as his team, Belleville, plays on international sized ice. He's also widely considered one of the best 2 way forwards in the OHL, so how can you adequately play both sides of a larger ice surface and be considered a poor skater? Seems contrary to logic.

• Upvote 1

I don't buy that.

There's always room for speed and skill on every team, no matter what size a player is.

If guys like Schwartz and Gallagher can be among their teams best players, there's no reason why Schroeder can't succeed. He just needs to be given an opportunity.

Patrick Kane seems to be doing ok now that he's moving past his off ice issues.

Size - even with the direction the NHL is heading after a few years of speed and skill being more prominent - is not a make or break factor on it's own for if a player can make it in the NHL. It never has been and never will be.

If a player of any size can use their skill set effectively at the NHL level, they'll find a place. If they have size to boot, then that's just a bonus.

Gaunce already has size, but if his skating is a factor at the NHL level (seems fine in junior despite claims to the contrary) or he can't find success using it against NHL players then that could mean he doesn't make it here. His skill set will determine whether or not he makes it, not his NHL ready size as that's just a bonus.

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but there are some eerie similarities between the paths of Gaunce and Hodgson:

- Both from the Greater Toronto Area

- Both played for the Markham Waxes

- His brother Cameron actually played with Cody for the Waxers.

- Both captained their OHL teams and were/are praised for their character and leadership

- Both train with Gary Roberts (who thinks Mike Gillis is a moron) in the off-season

- Both obviously 1st-round draft picks by the Canucks

- If Gaunce gets sent back next year (like Hodgson did), both will likely have played for Team Canada at WJC.

As far as their playing styles, skill level, and size, that's different, but a lot of personal similarities between the two.

Edited by BureisBest

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but there are some eerie similarities between the paths of Gaunce and Hodgson:

- Both from the Greater Toronto Area

- Both played for the Markham Waxes

- His brother Cameron actually played with Cody for the Waxers.

- Both captained their OHL teams and were/are praised for their character and leadership

- Both train with Gary Roberts (who thinks Mike Gillis is a moron) in the off-season

- Both obviously 1st-round draft picks by the Canucks

- If Gaunce gets sent back next year (like Hodgson did), both will likely have played for Team Canada at WJC.

As far as their playing styles, skill level, and size, that's different, but a lot of personal similarities between the two.

Does he let Daddy call the shots.

Schroeder was a good pick at the time, that was the league direction skill and speed. Unfortunatley the NHL moved the goal posts, skill and speed are back burner players. It's a real shame but it's reality. Plus of course once you sign a propspect you are limited to how long you can sign him for on an ELC. Players might get better in a couple of years but every one has to limit their players to 50. It's a continous rotation.

2013 Art Ross Trophy winner....undersized and old.

Well the criticism in his draft year was his foot speed/skating ability, but that's beside the point.

Back to GAUNCE - skating ability is clearly something that can be fixed, and for a guy that's 6'2" his stride will make up for it. It's also a strange criticism to make, as his team, Belleville, plays on international sized ice. He's also widely considered one of the best 2 way forwards in the OHL, so how can you adequately play both sides of a larger ice surface and be considered a poor skater? Seems contrary to logic.

Looking at recent footage, his skating has improved drastically. Good jump and decent, one might say "game," speed. Either that or the scouts just plain got it wrong, like you alluded to. The other knock against him was his offense. This year he's playing at a point a game, more in the playoffs (17 GP, 8 G/14 A=22 P). Not bad for a defensive forward. I said it before, this guy is a stud and he'll make a lot of teams regret not taking him.

Mike Gillis said he has "Good parents" after drafting. Certainly a shot at Hodgson's family and a bit immature for a GM imo.

Or, it could just mean he does have really good parents, much like was said about Lain (because he does). A good family can make a difference in character for a player for sure.

• Upvote 2

2013 Art Ross Trophy winner....undersized and old.

Yup...just like power forwards, smaller players take time to find how to establish themselves in a much bigger league. In junior and the minors its a bit easier as talent alone can set them above. As they move higher, its harder because the speed, skill, etc is all another level.

Now they are playing against guys with elite skill at the roles they play so they need to find their niche.

That player you speak of Marty St Louis, was on pace for a 110pt season. Exceptional.

He took 3-4 seasons to establish himself and was traded by the Flames after a 56 game year where he had 18 pts. I remember the trade and the flames feeling he was 'too small'

18 pts/56 games - sounds close to what Schroder would have done. He was also older as he had played in US college hockey (he was 25 yrs old when he played with the Flames)....

We need to give Schroeds at least 2 full seasons to see what he can do. I think he has immense talent, the right work ethic and attitude. Give him some big talented wingers - Jensen and someone who can hit and he will be fine.

I remember another little guy in Vancouver who did pretty well...a guy named Cliff

• Upvote 3

Looking at recent footage, his skating has improved drastically. Good jump and decent, one might say "game," speed. Either that or the scouts just plain got it wrong, like you alluded to. The other knock against him was his offense. This year he's playing at a point a game, more in the playoffs (17 GP, 8 G/14 A=22 P). Not bad for a defensive forward. I said it before, this guy is a stud and he'll make a lot of teams regret not taking him.

The Canucks said after they got him, that his skating was not an issue, that it was overblown by some scouts. I've seen him live, he can play.

He will be at worst a great 3rd line center for this team, and has the potential to be a number 2. Think of him as a Rod Brind'amour light...he is going to be the captain of the Canucks one day, mark my words. He will remind many of a certain other captain who wore #16. They are very similar in their approach to the game, leadership, heart. Probably doesn't have the speed Linden had but I'd argue better hands.

Edited by BuretoMogilny

This is very encouraging. A player that improves his game during the playoffs! Woohoo!