The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

One thing that sounds different from MG as opposed to recent years is that it looks it's not "the best player wins the roster spot", it's that "we have to have young players in the lineup, we have no choice, and we have to deal with the mistakes and growing pains". Sounds like some prospects are getting slotted in unless they have brutal camps.

One thing that sounds different from MG as opposed to recent years is that it looks it's not "the best player wins the roster spot", it's that "we have to have young players in the lineup, we have no choice, and we have to deal with the mistakes and growing pains". Sounds like some prospects are getting slotted in unless they have brutal camps.

I'd be fine with Gaunce slotting in on a "kid" line with Kassian and Jensen.

I'm not convinced another year of junior would do his development more than marginal good as he already made massive strides in his overall game (particularly his offense) this year and was named best defensive forward in the OHL while also putting up points. Sometimes the best development comes from being thrown into the deep end and told to swim, a treatment I think Ganuce would do just fine with.

• Upvote 2

I'd be fine with Gaunce slotting in on a "kid" line with Kassian and Jensen.

I'm not convinced another year of junior would do his development more than marginal good as he already made massive strides in his overall game (particularly his offense) this year and was named best defensive forward in the OHL while also putting up points. Sometimes the best development comes from being thrown into the deep end and told to swim, a treatment I think Ganuce would do just fine with.

I'd love to see a Burrows-Gaunce-Hansen line actually, that'd be a fantastic mix of checking and scoring. I hope MG's emphasis on bringing in younger players means Gaunce will be given a few games at the start of the season to prove himself, at the very least. Of course, he has to earn it in camp first, it won't be handed to him simply because he probably has to compete with Schroeder who is more experienced.

It's either that or we make significant forced cuts to the roster to get under the cap for next year. He has some ways around that, but it certainly limits his ability to trade for players with any significant salary as he'll have to move some out.

We need to give Schroeds at least 2 full seasons to see what he can do.

or no, we don't hope to have him beat the odds and become a miracle like St Louis, and trade him for something we need, like A 3RD LINE CENTER while we still have a competitive team in its prime.

Schrodo will hope to be as good as Roy and we've played that experiment already. Moving on.

Gaunce though, he's probably a few years away and I wonder what he weighs now? If all goes well, we will have a true Joel Otto type of guy, something we've never had at center besides Linden.

I hope Gillis drafts some more big, character guy; Canadian guys with an edge to their game.

Schrodo will hope to be as good as Roy and we've played that experiment already. Moving on.

12 games in the reg season and 4 post, playing for coaches who were just canned, mostly on the third line with Dale Weise as his winger, is a failed experiment? And we should get rid of a first-round pick with speed and skill who fell to us because of this? You sir are the first CDCer I have ever :picard: ...Congrats.

One thing that sounds different from MG as opposed to recent years is that it looks it's not "the best player wins the roster spot", it's that "we have to have young players in the lineup, we have no choice, and we have to deal with the mistakes and growing pains".  Sounds like some prospects are getting slotted in unless they have brutal camps.

This really comes down to being a coaches decision so I guess one could assume that a new coach would have to be one willing to use and develop young players.

12 games in the reg season and 4 post, playing for coaches who were just canned, mostly on the third line with Dale Weise as his winger, is a failed experiment? And we should get rid of a first-round pick with speed and skill who fell to us because of this? You sir are the first CDCer I have ever :picard: ...Congrats.

nice. are these excuses and more well wishing?

reality is over here, come on. He is not going to help us get us a cup as a 3rd line center. Isnt that the goal? Or is it to watch another Roy-esque 3rd line center do his thing? Wake up.

Edited by Jim Lahey

Back to Brendan Gaunce just for a moment. In MG interview today on 1040 he seemed to indicate Gaunce has a fair chance of making the team next season and likely Jensen to. Makes a bit of a change. Assuming Corrado continues along with Tanev that's some nice pieces hopefully falling into place. Who knows maybe Schroeder too

• Upvote 1

or no, we don't hope to have him beat the odds and become a miracle like St Louis, and trade him for something we need, like A 3RD LINE CENTER while we still have a competitive team in its prime.

Gaunce though, he's probably a few years away and I wonder what he weighs now? If all goes well, we will have a true Joel Otto type of guy, something we've never had at center besides Linden.

I hope Gillis drafts some more big, character guy; Canadian guys with an edge to their game.

I don't have time to sift through 30+ pages but why isn't Gaunce 'ready'? I don't get this line of thinking. Any first round pick should be ready to play. What more is he going to learn by not playing against NHL competition? In today's salary cap world, impact players can't take 3-4 years to develop in the AHL anymore. You need inexpensive players who can contribute. One year in the minors is enough to learn what it takes. Any longer, and you are just a project that the team hopes pans out. What has playing in the minors got Schroeder? Back in the minors, possibly for good! Jensen has had a season in Europe. If he isn't on the big club next season, then you can pretty much write him off too. Guys like Kesler and the Sedins were allowed to grow at the NHL level. All first round picks for the Canucks need this treatment from now on. Stick them on the 3rd line and ride the ups and downs.

nice. are these excuses and more well wishing?

reality is over here, come on. He is not going to help us get us a cup as a 3rd line center. Isnt that the goal? Or is it to watch another Roy-esque 3rd line center do his thing? Wake up.

So you are basing the potential play of one of our first-round prospects, and his value to us, on a completely different person who played with the Canucks for ~1/5th of a season, on a generally agreed upon underperforming team, and who was miscast as a third line grinder? Have I got that right so far? Awesome. By all means, trade Schroeder (and all of our prospects and picks for that matter) for all of those speedy hulking centermen with soft hands, grit, and 60% faceoff percentages on ELCs that everyone says we could easily find on the market. If this is not possible, then perhaps we keep our prospect and develop him into a 2cd line center.

I'm with you on one point though. AV is gone, hopefully our days of watching 1st and 2cd liners playing 4th line roles and 3rd and 4th liners playing 2cd and 3rd line roles are over.

Edit: Not trying to derail the thread here folks. Apologies. My views on Gaunce are well documented in this thread--He gets a real shot this fall and I hope he sticks with the team. Stud.

Edited by Melons

Nice article by Jim Jamieson on Gaunce and his chances of making the team next year:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Jamieson+Gillis+says+prospect+Gaunce+will/8427701/story.html

When Canucks GM Mike Gillis stated at his May 9 season-ending media conference that his team needs to get younger, prospects such as Frank Corrado, Nicklas Jensen, both 20, and Jordan Schroeder, 22, came to mind.

You can add Brendan Gaunce to that short list, though the 19-year-old still has a year’s junior elegibility remaining and has yet to attend an NHL training camp.

Gillis tossed out Gaunce’s name on May 9 and had this to say on Thursday in a TEAM 1040 interview when asked about the player the Canucks drafted 26th overall in 2012: “He’s going to be given every opportunity to make our hockey team. He’s really moved along. He’s very responsible at the junior level.”

Gillis added: “But he’s a young player and when you start introducing young players into your lineup, people need to be patient. He and others are going to be given great opportunities and we’ll see what they do with them.”

Gaunce is an intriguing prospect because he already has an NHL body – 6-foot-2, 215-pounds -- thanks to three summers working with training guru Gary Roberts -- oozes maturity and already has an evolved two-way game as a centre and sometime winger.

Reached on Thursday, the Toronto-area native said he’s aware of the apparent enhanced opportunity, but isn’t getting carried

away with it.

“I think it’s some motivation for me to train a bit harder this year, but I don’t think that means anything towards this season and making the team,” said Gaunce. “Everyone comes into camp in the same spot. It’s obviously good for the younger guys that the team is looking to go younger but they still want success and the city wants success and they’re going to put together the best team they can with the players they have. If that involves a lot of young guys, great, but if it doesn’t then that’s what they need to do to be successful in the NHL.”

The biggest knock – and there’s almost always a knock – is Gaunce’s foot speed. But George Burnett, Gaunce’s coach with the OHL’s Belleville Bulls, points out that his home ice surface is Olympic size and hasn’t been a problem for his captain to get around.

The suggestion is he’ll be given a shot at filling the gaping hole the Canucks have at third-line centre. That’s a lot to ask of a 19-year-old and mobility issues become glaring at the NHL level.

Gaunce plans to work again this summer on getting faster, but he’s also looking forward to surprising some people at training camp in September.

“I need to improve my skating, my speed and my explosiveness,” he said. “I don’t think I have a problem with my skating and people that are close to me and are with the teams I’m with don’t have a problem, either. People always have to find cracks in everyone’s game and that’s the one that’s most glaring for me. I’m comfortable with it, but obviously I want to improve it to get to the pro level.”

Gaunce, who’s already back training with Roberts for his fourth year, said he’ll take any opportunity as it comes.

“To be a pro, you have to embrace the role they give you – whether it’s first-line centre or fourth-line centre or whether you’re a healthy scratch and you just have to push guys in practice,” he said.

“I think I’ve learned that from the guys at the gym that are in the AHL. Some of them think they should be in the NHL, but now that they’re getting older they’re embracing the role and just pushing forward. I think whatever comes to me in the future you just have to look at it as positive and just stay on it.”

His footspeed did not seem like much of an issue this season in the OHL, but it is a huge leap to the NHL level. Its great to hear that he's working with Gary Roberts though, plus being around other NHLers in the offseason can only help his progression. He's got a full three months of training and it doesn't sound like he's taken much time off so that can only be good.