The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

I hope its not the case but sometimes I have a gut feeling that gaunce wasnt / isnt happy about being drafted by the canucks.

Really hope iam wrong liked the pick

More like he had an "excellent." type of look like Mr.Burns has when he has his eyes on a target.

Honestly just a gut feeling, so most likely wrong and really hope I am wrong, I wasnt meaning to stir up a rumour or anything

I'm pretty sure most guys really don't care who they play for. They just want to make the NHL. Look at teams like Columbus, Florida, Phoenix or even Edmonton the last few years. What desirable traits do they posses? Yet guys still put on their jerseys and play the game.

Even if Gaunce didn't want to be here, he'll try his hardest to make the NHL because that's what he's spent his whole life to date trying to achieve. Why throw it away due to you getting pick by the wrong team?

I am one those who believes that Gaunce will get some playing time this year and I don't hate Schroeder being put on the second line. The line shifting if this comes to pass however, will not push Hansen or Higgins to the fourth line. People may be forgetting about Torts and his willingness to reward workers with icetime. Higgins and Hansen are our two hardest workers and are ideal Torts players (hits, willingness to block shots, strong defensive play). Look for these guys to possibly move UP the lineup, not down.

I am one those who believes that Gaunce will get some playing time this year and I don't hate Schroeder being put on the second line. The line shifting if this comes to pass however, will not push Hansen or Higgins to the fourth line. People may be forgetting about Torts and his willingness to reward workers with icetime. Higgins and Hansen are our two hardest workers and are ideal Torts players (hits, willingness to block shots, strong defensive play). Look for these guys to possibly move UP the lineup, not down.

I agree with your sentiments over Higgins and Hansen but Gaunce either get's lot's of playing time as the 3rd or 4th line center of he goes back to Junior. He can't be sent to the AHL Utica Comets because he is to young it violates Canadian Junior Hockey league rules.

This is the same for Shinkaruk and Horvat, they make the starting lineup or it's back to junior.

None of them will be kept up as a 13th forward it would not make any sense to do that anyway.

If your rookies aren't ready you burn a ELC for nothing which as you said decides your success then you have lesser good ELC years left.

ELC years are overrated by fans.

Doesn't matter, if they're good they are going to get paid. If you burn a year when they aren't ready, then the 2nd contract will be cheaper than if you start the 3 years when he's completely ready.

That's why it didn't matter that Corrado burned a year of ELC when there was a healthy Ballard sitting in the press box.

I agree with your sentiments over Higgins and Hansen but Gaunce either get's lot's of playing time as the 3rd or 4th line center of he goes back to Junior. He can't be sent to the AHL Utica Comets because he is to young it violates Canadian Junior Hockey league rules.

This is the same for Shinkaruk and Horvat, they make the starting lineup or it's back to junior.

None of them will be kept up as a 13th forward it would not make any sense to do that anyway.

What about pulling a Jensen, and sending them to the SEL for a season? Not sure that another season of junior would serve them well. Would they still be eligible for WJC if they went? Dunno, just an idea. Hoping that Utica becomes another player factory, like Manitoba was, for our club so I don't necessarily want them to skip out on that stage. Like I said, just thinking of other possibilities.

What about pulling a Jensen, and sending them to the SEL for a season? Not sure that another season of junior would serve them well. Would they still be eligible for WJC if they went? Dunno, just an idea. Hoping that Utica becomes another player factory, like Manitoba was, for our club so I don't necessarily want them to skip out on that stage. Like I said, just thinking of other possibilities.

Well Horvat and Shinkaruk could use another year of dominating the CHL, but anyways I'm not sure how comfortable they (Gaunce included) would be going overseas. I'm sure it was a lot easier for Jensen than it would be for them, seeing as how Jensen is from Denmark, which isn't terribly far from Sweden and he was probably a lot more comfortable than any of our NA-born prospects would be.

I agree with Gaunce 'pulling a Jensen' and playing overseas if he doesn't make the team. I don't think Gaunce, who is bigger than 90% (total S.W.A.G. on my part) of NHLer's would be well served playing another season amongst boys. Dominating the OHL is cool and all, but I fear he may become too reliant on using his size to gain an advantage which could cause a stagnation in developing the rest of his game.

Honestly though, I think he gets some NHL games this year since he already has all of the physical tools, he just needs to be thrown into the pool to see if he can swim.

Going back to junior wouldn't be the worst thing for Gaunce if he isn't ready.

He has yet to really dominate the OHL. A season of that could be what he needs to develop his offensive game more and give him a boost of confidence going into the 2014-2015 season.

Oh I know he won't be going to the AHL, that's why I never said he would. I think he has a lot of what it takes for a player his age to stick in the NHL. If he wants to stay there though he will have to earn it, luckily he is versatile enough to be given ample opportunity to earn his keep (unlike others).

Gaunce is slotted in as 4th line C for group 2. This was abit suprising as I thought he would be further up the depth chart.

Group 2`s other centers are 1.McKinnon 2.McDavid 3.Gauthier

I'd say 4th center with that group is pretty fair for the most part, him and Gauthier would be the 3/4 center toss ups

• Upvote 1

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato 6m

#Canucks prospect Hunter Shinkaruk made it 5-3 with an empty-netter. Gaunce and Shinkaruk each with a goal and assist in Canada's win.

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato 12m

Correction on earlier tweet: Gaunce playing with Mantha and Rychel. Shinkaruk playing with Reinhart and Gauthier.

Game was against Finland

sounds like Gaunce with the game winner and Shinkaruk with an empty net.

Yea, and the assist on Canada's first goal to make it 1-1.

That's what I noticed about Gaunce watching the Bulls last season. He quietly goes about his business shutting down other teams top players, and you never notice him much. But then he'll come out of nowhere and make a great play or score a nice goal when his team needs it.

I don't think he'll ever be a flashy player. He's one of those players that just works hard every game, and comes through when his team needs it. You can never have enough of those players.