The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Guance is headlining the OHL network page today if you wanted to take a look. http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com

If you check out the highlights from the game Wednesday take a look at the pass Jordan S makes to Sergei Kuptsov who dishes to Guance for the game tying goal. That's a serious play right there! Subban is small but he is starting to look better and better.

Guance has been looking much better lately after the slow start. Malcolm Subban hasn't been nearly as good as expected just yet but I'm sure he will come around.

For the GTA Canucks fans Belleville is at Brampton tonight if you wanted to check out Guance.

Guance is headlining the OHL network page today if you wanted to take a look. http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com

If you check out the highlights from the game Wednesday take a look at the pass Jordan S makes to Sergei Kuptsov who dishes to Guance for the game tying goal. That's a serious play right there! Subban is small but he is starting to look better and better.

Guance has been looking much better lately after the slow start. Malcolm Subban hasn't been nearly as good as expected just yet but I'm sure he will come around.

For the GTA Canucks fans Belleville is at Brampton tonight if you wanted to check out Guance.

Man, that was a nice pass.

wow, belleville's doing great and gaunce with 8 pts (4 G 4A) in 9 games is very promising; and he's cut his +/- in half from -8 to -4 and on an upward trend every game. great stuff.

it's funny, the only times he got a minus were the 3 games he failed to register a point in, that -5 night was a killer.

Edited by avelanch

Gaunce was ranking a lot higher up in the draft early last season, but he obviously fell. The question is why. Foot speed?

he was 7th in the OHL preseason (doesn't include all of NA), 11th in NA at midterm, and 13th in NA at final rankings. everyone got caught up in the defenceman panic "ZOMG all the d-men are going! I need to pick up a D-man before they are all gone!!!!!!" it's how he fell to us. well, that and some questionable picks going before us.

In that case i'm glad we have the ability to attract college d-men who are just as good as a lot of these 1st rounders. (Well, aside from Justin Schultz that is.) That way we can draft the best player available instead of panic.

On a side note, Forsberg and Grigorenko falling all the way to Washington and Buffalo is also explained by that panic.

Looking further, Gaunce was ranked as the 5th NA forward, but was the 9th NA forward drafted. Some teams obviously went for some long shots. Calgary comes to mind.

I like Gaunce's willingness to scrap, even with proven fighters. This is something Hodgson would never do. 'Heart of a Canuck?'

In that case i'm glad we have the ability to attract college d-men who are just as good as a lot of these 1st rounders. (Well, aside from Justin Schultz that is.) That way we can draft the best player available instead of panic.

On a side note, Forsberg and Grigorenko falling all the way to Washington and Buffalo is also explained by that panic.

Looking further, Gaunce was ranked as the 5th NA forward, but was the 9th NA forward drafted. Some teams obviously went for some long shots. Calgary comes to mind.

I like Gaunce's willingness to scrap, even with proven fighters. This is something Hodgson would never do. 'Heart of a Canuck?'

Cody dropped the gloves his 3rd game back in the OHL after being drafted.

he didn't have to to drop the gloves though, and he certainly isn't built to do so. but in certain situations he would drop it, if necessary. you can't say it's something he would never do, as it's something he already did.

as for heart of a canuck, when was the last time the sedins dropped them?

Edited by avelanch
  • Upvote 2

Hehe. Cody's only 'fight' (more like a grab, fall and roll) might've been a bit selective, as Andrew Agozzino is 5'-7". Whereas Gaunce has actually thrown, even with bigger, more proven scrappers. Something that Cody has never done (and likely will never do.)

Cody did roll that little guy good though.

As for 'heart of a Canuck', maybe the Bulls' color scheme had me thinking old flying v and the steamer. Obviously I wasn't thinking Sedins when i was mentioning scrapping.

i just don't see why liking a current prospect necessitates bashing a former prospect. it runs rampant on these boards, I just don't understand it. Cody's a great player, Gaunce will be great, Kass is great. who they are affiliated with currently doesn't change that.

• Upvote 3