StealthNuck

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

I dispute the statement made above that suggested Gaunce lacked pace. That was certainly not the impression I got. Some of these goals mark him out as a bit special and at 49sec of the video he may not be "Hansen fast" but he doesn't look like he lacks pace.

His vision and awareness of what is around him is imo top drawer.

It strikes me if we do not make a good 2nd/3rd NHL player out of Gaunce someone has screwed up. The guy has nearly every attribute (except maybe using his size more but that must surely come)

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 3

On 2016-09-09 at 1:35 PM, alfstonker said:

I dispute the statement made above that suggested Gaunce lacked pace. That was certainly not the impression I got. Some of these goals mark him out as a bit special and at 49sec of the video he may not be "Hansen fast" but he doesn't look like he lacks pace.

His vision and awareness of what is around him is imo top drawer.

It strikes me if we do not make a good 2nd/3rd NHL player out of Gaunce someone has screwed up. The guy has nearly every attribute (except maybe using his size more but that must surely come)

Yeah, people need to realize that this guy addressed his skating issues a couple of years ago.  Always encouraging to see a young player target areas for improvement and get the job done.  It's the Sedin way. Unless Granlund has done the same, you're looking at this year's 4C, once the dust settles.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, people need to realize that this guy addressed his skating issues a couple of years ago.  Always encouraging to see a young player target areas for improvement and get the job done.  It's the Sedin way. Unless Granlund has done the same, you're looking at this year's 4C, once the dust settles.

Gaunce ABSOLUTELY makes the opening night roster.  Then, he works his way up our lineup and becomes that much needed top six forward we are looking for.  ::D

Alf really likes this player now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Gaunce ABSOLUTELY makes the opening night roster.  Then, he works his way up our lineup and becomes that much needed top six forward we are looking for.  ::D

Alf really likes this player now.

Alf is impressionable. Yes, I want Gaunce to get at least 40 games with the Canucks this season.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Alf is impressionable. Yes, I want Gaunce to get at least 40 games with the Canucks this season.

Alf is simple, but extraordinarily cute. 

Gaunce  has really worked hard at his game, so he can make the NHL.  He has skill too.  I see a big, very smart power forward.  Sure if he studied MMA and took steroids he would be better ( like some other players in that role might be doing) but I see Gaunce able to get by without cheating, because of his smarts.

• Upvote 1

I'm excited to see him work with Malhotra on draws and turn into a wrecking ball shutdown center. 

Think Sami Paulson circa 2006 conn Smythe nominee with more ability

• Upvote 1

Interesting closing statement from Gaunce in his Kenward interview.

The other 3 players were all asked what their goals and intentions were now and all three gave the standard answers while Gaunce said he would "be keeping that to himself"

I can't think of any scenario where he could not answer that question unless he has been taking MMA and he intends to beat the crap out of someone at the earliest possible opportunity. (that might be worth keeping to himself I suppose :) )

On 9/11/2016 at 8:31 AM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

They said Horvat was slow too...

Last I checked Burns could skate just fine.

• Upvote 1

On September 18, 2016 at 3:56 AM, alfstonker said:

The other 3 players were all asked what their goals and intentions were now and all three gave the standard answers while Gaunce said he would "be keeping that to himself"

I can't think of any scenario where he could not answer that question unless he has been taking MMA and he intends to beat the crap out of someone at the earliest possible opportunity. (that might be worth keeping to himself I suppose :) )

I am thinking its "Make Granlund my B***H and take his job"

• Upvote 4

This is the thing. Championship teams need players like Brendan Gaunce. A Bottom 6 dependable guy that can match up and defend against other top lines. Either at center or on the wing. You need depth. I see Gaunce, with his versatility playing a role on this team for a while. He can fit in, in multiple ways.

• Upvote 3

On 18/09/2016 at 5:56 AM, alfstonker said:

I don't mind a guy who sets goals so lofty that he knows people will roll their eyes and laugh.

Maybe he's thinking Eriksson is going to only be used with the Sedins on the powerplay and he's gonna steal that job from Hansen.

It's not a bad thought on a trial basis to be honest, 'pace' or not, he probably has about the right foot speed to hang with them, he's big enough to make some space and he's got that bit of cerebral-ness to him that works well with the Sedins.

If Gauncer plays a full season he should score about 11 goals and 18 Assists. That's pretty good for a bottom 6 forward in his first full year.

5 minutes ago, Derp... said:

If Gauncer plays a full season he should score about 11 goals and 18 Assists. That's pretty good for a bottom 6 forward in his first full year.

I think that's a little high for him. I'd be happy with 5 goals 10 assists. 

3 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Agreed.  I think Gaunce will surprise any doubters.  There's a reason why Brendan is still with the team and Shinks is not.  He put up similar points last season and has a more rounded (NHL) game. 

A very smart player who works extremely hard.  I can see him eventually settling as a very good 3rd liner who can fill in on the 2nd if needed.  Reminds me a lot of a young Higgins.

1 minute ago, Gooseberries said:

I think that's a little high for him. I'd be happy with 5 goals 10 assists. 

His shot rate in the NHL and point projections from the AHL say otherwise. It's not a perfect predictor, but it was accurate for Guys like Hoffman, Nyquist, B. Nelson and Lindberg for example. 

My fear is that Gaunce has a solid year and is plucked from us in the expansion draft.

If we took (must likely) keep safe 7 forwards

Daniel, Hank, Sutter, Horvat, Baertschi, Eriksson ....you have one spot...for Rodin, Gaunce, Granlund, Hansen and Etem.

Me thinks if Gaunce has a solid year, teams will always take a chance on a good two way big bodied forward over anything else.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

My fear is that Gaunce has a solid year and is plucked from us in the expansion draft.

If we took (must likely) keep safe 7 forwards

Daniel, Hank, Sutter, Horvat, Baertschi, Eriksson ....you have one spot...for Rodin, Gaunce, Granlund, Hansen and Etem.

Me thinks if Gaunce has a solid year, teams will always take a chance on a good two way big bodied forward over anything else.

A big concern for sure.   If Gaunce does have a good season, I think management will trade Hansen at the deadline along with one of the players you have mentioned.  As you pointed out:  'teams will always take a chance on a good two way big bodied forward over anything else'.  In the end, it looks like the team will lose a decent player and it will probably be one of Gaunce or Etem.