Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

27 minutes ago, nzan said:

Look at the growth in his production in just his second year in the A. 

It would seem to suggest that there's some room for growth at the NHL level as well.

True, although his playoffs would indicate he has a lot further to go.

7 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

as opposed to the shady character, mental weaklings other GM's covet?

Brilliant!! Thank you for pointing out the genius of JB, Gillis would have never come up with a strategy that clever.

Hey, maybe we'll just collapse 5 guys right to the net off every face off this year, just block shots, like having 5 goaltenders? We are bound to score a couple when the puck deflects off our players faces and goes the length of the ice to catch the other goalie napping.

That would REALLY be putting our mental toughness to good use, only character guys block shots right? Sweet! Renew my Seasons tickets pronto! This will be so much fun to watch...

What's blocking shots have to do with mental toughness?  I see a mentally tough player as one who first accepts his role, and then plays that way - regardless of consequences.  The elite skilled guys mentioned previously take a lot of physical abuse.  They are targets, who have the puck a lot to be effective.  Mental toughness, for these players, would be to accept they are going to get pounded, attracted, and insulted, while never deterring them from controlling the puck.  

3 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

True, although his playoffs would indicate he has a lot further to go.

how's that?

the only available comparison I see (at least at the level of basic stats) is that his production actually went up between regular season and post season in the 14/15 year. looks great to me!

19 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

Benning said all season in regards to Gaunce and Shinkaruk he'd like to leave them in Utica for 2 or 3 years until they're over ripe and can step right into an impact role in Vancouver.

Shinkaruk is gone now but I won't be surprised if the same plan remains for Gaunce. He'll probably be injury call up #1 but if their choice is to have him in Utica or as a 13th skater in Vancouver, my bet is he goes to Utica.

Wouldn't surprise me either, even though Gaunce has more than earned a shot on the big club.  But it's a numbers game and he's got another year without waivers.  Even if they move Burrows and Higgins, they'll probably sign a UFA forward so it will work out the same.  Frankly, I like Gaunce at 4C way more than Granlund and think he would consolidate the heavy lineup that's forming from our D out, but Weisbrod likes Granlund a lot so that's the end of that. 

I can see him as a solid 3C in 3-4 years time.

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:07 AM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Wouldn't surprise me either, even though Gaunce has more than earned a shot on the big club.  But it's a numbers game and he's got another year without waivers.  Even if they move Burrows and Higgins, they'll probably sign a UFA forward so it will work out the same.  Frankly, I like Gaunce at 4C way more than Granlund and think he would consolidate the heavy lineup that's forming from our D out, but Weisbrod likes Granlund a lot so that's the end of that. 

To me, Granlund showed me exactly what I expected to see - which is to say, nothing much. 

I am with you - I'm far more interested to see what Gaunce might develop into than I am with Granlund in that role.  But since he was just acquired, you know Gaunce will have to work his butt off to pass Granlund on the depth chart.

• Upvote 1

We have a small sample of what he can do at the NHL level, though here's a sample of his AHL performance from this year. Shink often being the benefactor lol. 

On June 6, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Qwags said:

I can see him as a solid 3C in 3-4 years time.

Even if he is a solid 4c that can move around the lineup would be fantastic. I'm a huge fan of this kid, I love what Utica has done to him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Even if he is a solid 4c that can move around the lineup would be fantastic. I'm a huge fan of this kid, I love what Utica has done to him. 

I really like Gaunce too.  The team asked him to move to wing to play more in straight lines and he did.  Then he went back to centre on the big club, and was far more involved.  I see other teams really wanting him, so JB might include him to sweeten a Hansen type deal.  Maybe?  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I really like Gaunce too.  The team asked him to move to wing to play more in straight lines and he did.  Then he went back to centre on the big club, and was far more involved.  I see other teams really wanting him, so JB might include him to sweeten a Hansen type deal.  Maybe?  

I'd hate to see him go.

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

What's with the passion to trade the Vcr roster ....it's going to be a junior team shortly :lol:

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

What's with the passion to trade the Vcr roster ....it's going to be a junior team shortly :lol:

Hansen + Guance to get another first round pick?  It's a very deep draft, much like 2003.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hansen + Guance to get another first round pick?  It's a very deep draft, much like 2003.  

Personally I want to watch some entertaining hockey this coming season. And frankly I don't for a moment believe Gaunce and Hansen would net you a 1st round pick and even if it did ( which it ain't, no ones trading a first  for 2 journeymen players ) you can cout on a low first or maybe a second who are 3-5 years away from significance 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

And then in 2 years you'll say trade those prospects for more draft picks right?

The game of Hockey is played with actual physical humans you know, not picks.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

This is pure speculation. All drafts look promising when they roll around but none ever amount to the 2003 one. 

21 minutes ago, guntrix said:

This is pure speculation. All drafts look promising when they roll around but none ever amount to the 2003 one. 

If anything the 2015 draft looks special. 

• Upvote 1

Gaunce might surprise next year as he now really knows what he needs to stay in the big club.not only that but if benning has a deal he might be one going.