The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

For a very good analysis of Gauce see Daniel Wagner (PITB) at https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis.

Here are some key quotes:

" It’s a tough break for Gaunce, who has done everything the Canucks have asked of him without complaint. In 2017-18, Gaunce was given some of the toughest deployment of any forward in the NHL.

At 5-on-5, Gaunce started just 25 of his shifts in the offensive zone, compared to 115 starts in the defensive zone. That was the lowest ratio of offensive to defensive zone starts of any NHL forward. The two closest have familiar names: Jay Beagle and Brandon Sutter.

That skewed usage casts his offensive struggles in a different light. He was never really put in a position to put up points. Instead, he played primarily in a shutdown defensive role, and the truth is that he was very good at it.

The only Canucks forwards that were on the ice for a lower rate of shots against in 2017-18 than Gaunce were Daniel and Henrik Sedin, whose zone starts were the polar opposite of Gaunce’s.

" All that is to say, Gaunce could have pretty easily filled the same role as Schaller, for a fraction of the cost. He’d probably have been an upgrade on Tyler Motte and arguably even Jay Beagle, at least at even strength."

Gaunce's problem was offence but, taking deployment into account, was not as bad as it looks. And in 2018-19 Gaunce did actually put up 3 pts in 3 games with the Canucks in 2018-19 and was +3 but never got a chance to extend that small sample.

One key point is that there was not much room for Gaunce last year once the Canucks signed Beagle, Schaller, and Roussel as bottom 6 forwards. Those three UFAs were always going to get the nod over Gaunce and, in a close competition with Granlund and Motte, the Canucks decided in favor of Granland and Motte, apparently on the grounds that they were viewed as better offensively. And Motte did have a good preseason. But Motte and Granlund both faded as the season progressed. In March and April Granlund had 3 pts in 23 games and Motte had 3 pts in 25 games. Gaunce had an excellent year in Utica.

Of course, none of these guys really moves the dial but, moving forward, it is far from obvious that Gaunce should be the odd man out, especially taking age and size into account.  It probably does not help Gaunce's cause that he is a holdover from the Gillis era. As relatively recent acquisitions, Beagle, Schaller, Granlund and Motte probably have stronger supporters in the current management and coaching group. 

The disappointing thing to me was how Gaunce finished his season in Utica.  When I wrote that quote at the TDL in late February Gaunce was the most noticeable player on the team in all three zones but his play fell off a cliff down the stretch for the Comets.  When the team went through a nearly two month period of not winning a game in regulation Gaunce became invisible.  I don't know if it was because he didn't get traded at the deadline and quit or if he just fell into a slump but he was not good at all the last 6 or 7 weeks of the seaason. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

Those three UFAs were always going to get the nod over Gaunce and, in a close competition with Granlund and Motte, the Canucks decided in favor of Granland and Motte, apparently on the grounds that they were viewed as better offensively.

Largely agree with your/Wagner's summary on Gaunce re his strengths/weaknesses but this ^^^ is just a complete misread.

Those UFA's (and Granlund/Motte) weren't given spots over Gaunce because they were UFA's or brought more offense (which isn't really any of their jobs or expectation for their respective roles - short of perhaps Roussell and occasionally Granlund anyway, and only in a complimentary manner).

Beagle was 'given' (earned) a spot because he's an elite 4C who wins face offs, plays match up and PK's like his life depends on it while bringing off the charts leadership/mentoring.

Roussel was 'given' (earned) a spot because he's a better hockey player than anyone on this list and an elite pest. An element otherwise SEVERELY lacking on our team since the departures of Kesler, Burrows and Dorsett.

Granlund was 'given' (earned) a spot because he's basically equally as good defensively and can temporarily pitch in at all three positions, anywhere in the bottom 9. Versatile. Also one of our best shootout players.

Motte was 'given' (earned) a spot because while being roughly on par with Gaunce defensively, he adds a relentless motor and is constantly pressuring the puck/opposition. AKA he plays basically how all coaches want their 4th liners to play. HARD.

Gaunce is really good defensively largely because he's cerebral/good at reading the play and positioning himself. But what else does he bring? Does he have a non stop motor like Motte?  Nope, in fact that's probably his biggest weakness.

Is he an elite, 3rd line pest that can occasionally fill in on the 2nd line? Nope.

Is he a versatile, bottom 9 W'er/C who the coach can play just about anywhere and can chip in offensively when occasionally put in the position? Nope.

Is he an elite, cup winning 4C with leadership oozing from every pore? Nope.

Gaunce simply doesn't have that 'other' element you need to be a consistent bottom 6 player in the best league in the world. That doesn't mean he's a 'bad' hockey player but if he wants to have an NHL career, he needs to add to his game. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Gaunce looked miles better than Schaller. Kind of a shame if Gaunce doesn't return.

Gaunce has stalled out and needs a change.  He had the brains, build but lacked the intensity.  

He played himself back into the minors and then started working again.  Gaudette passed him by and IMO that has led to him not being qualified.  

Thems the breaks.  Gaunce could fight his way back into the NHL, but he has to battle.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Gaunce reminds me a bit of Dowd when he was with Vancouver. Both 6’2” guys with decent size but not enough bite to their games. Good defensively yet nothing stands out. Dowd was 28 when he left as an UFA and his NHL career looked dead in the water. But he turned it around with the Caps and now he’s a very serviceable fourth liner. 

Plenty of teams short on cap space need a cheap forward who can play 10 minutes without costing them the game. Gaunce can play shut down with aplomb and chip in on the PK. A team like Tampa or Toronto, who’ll be forced to trade some of their supporting cast to keep their stars, could be the perfect landing spot. 

The Canucks, on the other hand, is swimming in cap space and would trade money for veteran leadership and physicality. Gaunce was unfortunately caught in no man’s land in the rebuild — too old to be considered promising, too young to be considered experienced.  There are enough question marks at the top of the lineup, the last thing the Canucks want to deal with is an unproven fourth liner. 

Hopefully he gets the second chance he needs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2019 at 12:49 PM, -AJ- said:

Best of luck in Boston, Gaunce! I was always a big fan of your game here in Vancouver.

I don't get to bring my Gaunce sig back I guess, and I still have the Gaunce jersey I won one year at the Young Stars... Good luck Gauncer!

Edited by elvis15

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Maybe the 4 points in his last 4 NHL games prior to this year wasn't a fluke? I never understood why he was given up on as soon as he was showing offensive improvement.

I think the coaching staff (Green) didn't like that Gaunce's interpretation of "out work" meant out think instead of skate really hard for the sake of it. He always seemed like a great guy though, I still remember him literally pushing Tryamkin up the Grouse Grind.

• Cheers 1

It's nice to see Gaunce do well. Good character guy and I thought he could have been given more of an opportunity when he was here. But let's also not forget that he turns 28 next month and has played a total of 125 NHL games in his career (21 points), 10 of which came in the last three years. He would not be in the Canucks top 12 this year.