The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

There's more to it than that. The Twins might get 75 points instead of 80 with Kassian. But it would accomplish several things;

- It would add a physical presence, one teams would have to adjust match ups for, on our top line.

- It would free Burrows, who is our 3rd best passer, to add scoring to depth lines; specifically Kesler's.

- Burrows is also an extremely feisty defensive forward; it would add bite which reduces goals against.

Totally agree..we may lose ~5 points of production from the top line but we gain so much elsewhere. More protection (and hopefully less wear and tear) on the twins, more balanced lines, better secondary scoring depth (which would likely at LEAST make up the ~5 points we lose on line 1).

I still would prefer to see if Schroeder can play on line two with Booth and Kes though and move Bur to the third with Gaunce and Hansen/Higgins. Bur would make that line almost a 2B and both of those lines would be pretty good defensively. I'm not saying it for sure 100% would stick but I'd like to see it given a shot.

2A - Booth, Schroeder, Kes (mostly offense with pretty good checking)

2B - Bur, Gaunce, Hansen (stellar checking with decent offense)

Edited by J.R.

if gaunce/horvat arent ready could always play burrows as your checking centre that line would be very hard to play against.

sedins-kass

booth-schroeds-kes

higgy-burr-hansen

very solid top9 with great versatility.

if gaunce/horvat arent ready could always play burrows as your checking centre that line would be very hard to play against.

sedins-kass

booth-schroeds-kes

higgy-burr-hansen

very solid top9 with great versatility.

If Gaunce/Horvat aren't ready we have enough other natural C's to not force Burrows out of position IMO. Surely between Schroeder, Guance, Horvat, Richardson, Santorelli, Lain etc we have enough ready bodies to fill two bottom 6 C positions.

If Gaunce/Horvat aren't ready we have enough other natural C's to not force Burrows out of position IMO. Surely between Schroeder, Guance, Horvat, Richardson, Santorelli, Lain etc we have enough ready bodies to fill two bottom 6 C positions.

I agree and I really think Gaunce will earn the 3rd center position with Richardson and Santorelli both on the fourth line.

There are so many things that impress me about this kid, that it's a challenging exercise knowing where to begin. I would start by saying, he characterizes a quiet leadership and has a very serious focus. He takes pride in a 200 foot game, elevates his play when it matters, takes draws, makes his linemates better, and he gives us a great young Canadian center in the pipeline that will play for us for a long time.

Also, while he doesn't have the skill or the accolades to compare him to franchise player Jonathan Toews, his demeanor and mannerisms certainly do have a stark resemblance in many ways. I for one, am excited to see this kid turn into a force for the Canucks!

Edited by CHodgson9

I am hoping Gaunce and Horvat can push each other enough to force the Canucks to keep them up for the 9 game stint.

I still think they will need a goal a game or 1.5 points a game to stick, there defensive game and overall game can't be to Schroeder's level so they are going to have to do something special (hits/takeaways,etc.) and produce.

what if gaunce's defensive game and faceoffs are on an NHL level if he gets to start the season in Van? would you all still want him sent back to juniors to hopefully develope more offense, or do you keep him around as a PKer and let him move around between 3rd/4th line C/LW?

what if gaunce's defensive game and faceoffs are on an NHL level if he gets to start the season in Van? would you all still want him sent back to juniors to hopefully develope more offense, or do you keep him around as a PKer and let him move around between 3rd/4th line C/LW?

IMO if everybody is healthy, we can put Gaunce as third line C to start the season for 10 games and scratch Schroeder. Then after he gets his 10 games in, we burn a year off of his ELC and send him back to Juniors to develop his offensive game. Then we dress Schroeder for our third line for the rest of the year unless he fails to be an adequate third line C. A reason why I want to burn a year off of Gaunce's ELC is so that way he'll have less time to prove himself and will have less leverage for more money on his payday.

It would be good for Gaunce & or Horvat to get a couple of games for a look see where their development is. I have to say I watched Jensen in his couple of games up and he didn't look good IMO. But it has to relax Jensen for his next try knowing what to expect and how to react...I would think.

He can still develop offense in the NHL too.

Some 2nd PP time, rolling 4 lines will give him more ice time, etc. Besides, overpowering 16 year olds and shooting against junior goalies won't prepare him for the NHL. There's no substitute for NHL experience.

Not likely but definitely a possibility....wishful thinking :)

What if Bo, Gaunce & Schroeds are all ready?

I think Schroeds has shown enough to be given a chance and with the right wingers, he would excel. Torts will, at the least, give him a chance and if he finds chemistry with any wingers like he did with Mason...Torts will at least ride the wave out. I think there's about a 80 - 85% chance he makes the line up. And Torts will look beyond his size and play him according to his abilities like he did with Zuccarello.

Bo and Gaunce are both exceptional talents with heart, they have the size and they'd be responsible in the face-off. There's no questions regarding their defensive games and I think they're capable of scoring some goals in the NHL....at least what we would expect from a 3rd liner. Torts is willing to give young guys a chance if they prove their capable...which makes me think that they have about a 70-75% chance of making it.

I wouldn't want either of these guys on the 4th, but I think their development wouldn't be hindered if they played on the 3rd. Like I said, highly unlikely all 3 make it. With AV, I would be surprised if any of them made it...but with Torts?

Sedins, Kass

Booth, Schroeds, Kes

Burr, Gaunce, Bo

Hansen, Richardson, Higgy

Tough to match up against this team and this would leave us with two solid checking lines that can score.

Guest Dasein

You're not a contender if you're carrying 3 rookies up front on your team.

Who knows - Gaunce or Horvat could always surprise, but I think we will see them next year.

Who knows - Gaunce or Horvat could always surprise, but I think we will see them next year.

Anaheim didn't do bad with Getzlaf and Perry. With the Cap you basically decide your success with how well your rookies on ELC do.

Anaheim didn't do bad with Getzlaf and Perry. With the Cap you basically decide your success with how well your rookies on ELC do.

If your rookies aren't ready you burn a ELC for nothing which as you said decides your success then you have lesser good ELC years left.

Edited by hockeyking

I agree... but the surest way of having depth and succeeding in the playoffs is when your rookies play too good, good enough that we can't send them back.

I really think that Torts will play Schroeds... and Bo and Gaunce might surprise us all. With Torts coaching and the Nucks not relying on Bo and Gaunce for goals, but solid checking and grit.... ? :bigblush:

TBH, this is why I'm excited about this year! I really wanted to see what the young kids can do if given the proper chance and with a new coach, I'm hoping that my anxiety levels will drop a little without the unorthodox line changes, roster moves, sitting on leads, favorites, little to know faith in rookies, etc....

IF Gaunce and Bo crack the line up...and Schroeds gains chemistry with a healthy Kes and Booth. Our lines and our depth run DEEP.... Top 2 lines will put up points, bottom 2 lines will be solid checking lines and have plenty of scoring chances. If our D can play like we know they can play.... plus, Lou playing to prove himself worthy of a trade next summer, we might be back to the SCF!

Ok...back to reality.... :picard: so many variables, but I think there'll be some unexpected surprises. Good or bad.... we're in for a wild ride! :)

It isn't a measure if Guance is ready to make a big impact at 3rd C. It is more of a measure if he's able to do reasonably well at 3rd C throughout the year, and if the experience he gains will help him make an impact by the playoffs.