Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

Gaunce has been doing everything right. Guy deserves an opportunity, he was YOUNG when they gave him a chance and didn't get to develop yet. Now he's actually decent and they won't bring him up.

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Gaunce has been doing everything right. Guy deserves an opportunity, he was YOUNG when they gave him a chance and didn't get to develop yet. Now he's actually decent and they won't bring him up.

Good enough to play at this level in a depth role but lacks the team's new slogan:

2zz7qsy.png&key=db18d436638bfe6524651b4c

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Good enough to play at this level in a depth role but lacks the team's new slogan:

2zz7qsy.png&key=db18d436638bfe6524651b4c

I disagree and I'm willing to argue that you haven't watched Comet hockey if you still think that. This guy has a bunch of GWGs and has positioned himself as a leader of that team, a team that is pushing for the top of their division.

But hey, you like to focus on what he did 2 years ago so I'll leave you to it.

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Quantum said:

The truth with Gaunce is that he's probably not long for this organization after this year. There's a couple of things that he's gotta overcome at the end of this season that I don't think he will.

1) Gaunce was a Gillis pick. Not a Benning pick. So Benning doesn't have much of a "connection" to Gaunce, in terms of feeling a need to keep him. Much like Jensen, moving on from Gaunce won't be a hard decision for Benning. Evan McEneny is in a similar boat.

2) Schaller. If Schaller wasn't signed, Gaunce would have his spot right now. If the Canucks can't move Schaller by the deadline, chances are Gaunce will stay in the AHL for the rest of the year. Schaller doesn't appear to have any value right now, so I don't see him being dealt unfortunately.

3) Gaunce has played 116 NHL games yet only has 15 points to show for it. I think there's a legit argument to be made that Gaunce got rushed into the NHL in the 2016-2017 season. But I don't think that stat line makes upper management feel much better. Sure, Gaunce appears to have put it together at the AHL finally this year scoring at a nearly a PPG pace but he's also turning 25 in a month. He's getting on the old side for being a prospect.

That said... I won't be surprised if Gaunce either gets added as a piece to a deal on TDL or gets called up if a guy like Granlund/Schaller get moved.

I also expect the Canucks won't re-sign him this summer unless he gets called up and then goes on a career making run with the Canucks.

A lot of good points. My only objection is whether he was a Gillis pick or not. I doubt that amounts to much. More to your point is that he was a Gillis pick which means his progression has not been good. The Schaller signing was a direct challenge to Gaunce, no doubt. It has not worked out and has likely not been any better than keeping Gaunce in that spot. 

The bottom line is that his season in the AHL has been good. He is producing in all aspects of the game. Cannot say whether is physicality has amped up or not. Maybe a Utica fan could comment. Like all players the depth of the org will eventually pass you by. I have been a Gaunce fan but that is what he is facing. IMHO he has to have a very solid Calder Cup run to turn Canuck heads. We should not forget that Green coached Gaunce for 2 seasons. He will have a big say.

11 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I disagree and I'm willing to argue that you haven't watched Comet hockey if you still think that. This guy has a bunch of GWGs and has positioned himself as a leader of that team, a team that is pushing for the top of their division.

But hey, you like to focus on what he did 2 years ago so I'll leave you to it.

I didn't say anything about his skill level, ability to score at the AHL level or leadership.

Gaunce has never had a lot of 'bite' to his game. He's a solid, cerebral player who generally lets the play come to him and is about reades, positioning etc. But his play style doesn't particularly suit the play style the organization is teaching players and selling to fans.

Battle, attack, relentless puck pursuit etc.... That's not Gaunce.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I didn't say anything about his skill level, ability to score at the AHL level or leadership.

Gaunce has never had a lot of 'bite' to his game. He's a solid, cerebral player who generally lets the play come to him and is about reades, positioning etc. But his play style doesn't particularly suit the play style the organization is teaching players and selling to fans.

As I said, clearly you haven't been paying attention to the Comets. That is exactly what he is doing and that is exactly why they are killing it.

• Hydration 1

13 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

As I said, clearly you haven't been paying attention to the Comets. That is exactly what he is doing and that is exactly why they are killing it.

Nope, I haven't had a lot of chance to watch Comets this year. If that's the case, that's great to hear as he'd have adjusted his game to suit what he's going to need to play like to get a chance at a depth role on the big club.

He still going to be in tough for a 12/13th spot here though given sheer numbers.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I can agree with the “battle” aspect,.  Gaunce, I hope gets the chance to prove himself one more time.. at least to prove himself an asset to move to an NHL club, if not stick with ours.

This year may have worked out the best for him after a long injury last season..  at least he has gone to a farm team and a developing system.. and I beleive  he has been responding well in this time with Utica.

I would be happy to see BG get the chance to show, and prove himself well.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I can agree with the “battle” aspect,.  Gaunce, I hope gets the chance to prove himself one more time.. at least to prove himself an asset to move to an NHL club, if not stick with ours.

This year may have worked out the best for him after a long injury last season..  at least he has gone to a farm team and a developing system.. and I beleive  he has been responding well in this time with Utica.

I would be happy to see BG get the chance to show, and prove himself well.

There is no denying Gaunce has excellent character and leadership traits.  But does he really do one thing playing wise that stands out?  He’s (kind of) just an average player, on all levels, when in the NHL.  Super likeable person though, and I bet he’s popular with his teammates.  I just don’t see him as fitting into any role as an NHL player.

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

There is no denying Gaunce has excellent character and leadership traits.  But does he really do one thing playing wise that stands out?  He’s (kind of) just an average player, on all levels, when in the NHL.  Super likeable person though, and I bet he’s popular with his teammates.  I just don’t see him as fitting into any role as an NHL player.

Thats the thing though, you have Granlund and Schaller who offer the same thing and getting paid more. Wouldn't you want to go take the younger cheaper route? Gaunce can play in this league, i have no doubts about that, its just the writing was on the wall when Beagle and Roussell were signed. Granlund and Schaller I see are the only 2 guys he can overtake. Gaunce has VASTLY improved from when the time he first arrived here at camp.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Thats the thing though, you have Granlund and Schaller who offer the same thing and getting paid more. Wouldn't you want to go take the younger cheaper route? Gaunce can play in this league, i have no doubts about that, its just the writing was on the wall when Beagle and Roussell were signed. Granlund and Schaller I see are the only 2 guys he can overtake. Gaunce has VASTLY improved from when the time he first arrived here at camp.

I like Gaunce but if you’re eyeing Granlund’s spot he is on pace for about 28 points and 14 goals.  That’s perfectly good bottom 6 production IMO.

Gaunce would need to double his 15 points in 117 NHL games to match (production wise anyways).  

I’d be fine if they called him up but I can see why there’s no rush to do so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gaunce is an offensive black hole, he has shown absolutely nothing in terms of production at the nhl level, he doesn't produce even near enough for a fourth line roll. This is the reality and it doesn't matter how much cdc complains or praises his ahl play.

Edited by Theguy445
  • Hydration 1

23 minutes ago, Theguy445 said:

Gaunce is an offensive black hole, he has shown absolutely nothing in terms of production at the nhl level, he doesn't produce even near enough for a fourth line roll. This is the reality and it doesn't matter how much cdc complains or praises his ahl play.

Yet he came up and scored three points in three games was plus 3 and went back down.    

How does your argument hold water?  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Yet he came up and scored three points in three games was plus 3 and went back down.    

How does your argument hold water?  

Wow man you got me, a 3 game sample size where Gaunce got really lucky goals totally destroys my entire point of him not being productive and looking like an offensive black hole from over a 100 game sample. Nice point bud. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Theguy445 said:

Wow man you got me, a 3 game sample size where Gaunce got really lucky goals totally destroys my entire point of him not being productive and looking like an offensive black hole from over a 100 game sample. Nice point bud. 

So you send him down to learn something.  Be plays more physical, gets more pims.  Still plays plus.  Gets more points.  Does what he is asked and shows he can do it.  Green sends him back down despite that and you cry small sample size. 

What is he supposed to do to show he gets it?   

I say you have made up your mind and he could turn into EP and it would do no good.  

Edited by TGT68
  • Upvote 1

On 2/22/2019 at 3:07 PM, aGENT said:

Nope, I haven't had a lot of chance to watch Comets this year. If that's the case, that's great to hear as he'd have adjusted his game to suit what he's going to need to play like to get a chance at a depth role on the big club.

He still going to be in tough for a 12/13th spot here though given sheer numbers.

He has had the tools  but maybe lacked the drive or fire in his game.  If he could find the next gear, he could change his future.  

Maybe the wakeup call has been answered.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

He has had the tools  but maybe lacked the drive or fire in his game.  If he could find the next gear, he could change his future.  

Maybe the wakeup call has been answered.  

Gaunce would definitely be a solid bottom six NHLeris he added a nasty side to his game.  Without it, he’s just bland.  

3 hours ago, Theguy445 said:

Nonsense.  He played the past two years with a bad shoulder.  This year he is basically a point a game guy in the AHL and in the NHL - he has three NHL points in three games - limited minutes.  The only reason he was sent down is because Benning has money and ego tied up in Schaller.  All you have to do is watch him in the AHL to see that he has NHL talent, awareness, and grit.  When Utica needs a goal, they go to Gaunce, Boucher, or McEwan (when he was there).

11 hours ago, Theguy445 said:

Production isn't a concern, its what he brings. Hes always been defensively reliable and is a big body. Is 5-7 goals a realistic target for him in a full season? Yes I'd like to think so, but he specializes in SOMETHING. Thats my issue with Granlund. Granlund doesn't do anything special but hes below average in everything. He sucks in the PP and doesn't play PK. He's just a warm body with experience that can fill a spot to keep the wheels turning so to speak. Granlund has had his run here already and we've seen all we've need to see from him so I hope if Granny does get traded maybe Gaunce can have a 2nd chance here. 5-7 goals, would already be considered decent for a 4th liner making minimum wage in the bigs

10 hours ago, Theguy445 said:

Motte's career production is a sliver better than Gaunce, can you really say that you'd do what it takes to get rid of Motte despite not having the stats? Motte's not scoring a whole lot but you'd be hard pressed to replace him with anyone since he's playing every shift like his career depends on it..which it probably does. Sometimes its not all about the numbers, its what they bring to the team

• Upvote 1