The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

I think Gaunce can become a useful player for us. Mid 6, but optimally a 3C... Stoll? Laich?

He could contribute now, but its not like an extra year in junior would 'ruin' him

If Canuck brass projects him to be a good 3C, jumping in at 4C won't exactly be the worst thing.

Play a similar role to the 3C shutdown centre, without carrying all the weight defensively. (alot to ask for a youngster)

Hard to say who makes the cut this fall. (esp with Booth out, new coaches etc...)

That could work as long as he sees some time on the third line....no point in keeping him with the Canucks at this point if he is going to be getting under 10 minutes playing time per game.

I do believe Ryan O'Reilly started out on the 4th line and he turned out OK.

I was looking at Capgeek. I noticed Gaunce and Mallet combined are under a $2 million cap it. Maybe the bottom line is no matter how good Horvat and Shinkaruk do, both of them are at $1.7 and $1.3 million in cap space. Maybe they won't make the club just because of salary cap implications?

cap space is available in case one of those two 18 year old's really show up and stick after the first few games. MG's gotta leave it open to allow them some room on the team. I doubt they will make it, but better to leave the door open for them. Really want to see Gaunce on Kesler's wing, especially after how he played with Graovac this past year. Belleville's line was Gaunce Graovac Brassard, which we have in Gaunce Kesler Kassian. We already know he can be successful offensively in that role, and still was named top defensive froward in the OHL. Gaunce Kesler shutdown, Kassian clearing bodies and controlling some board play, crashing the net, etc...

Could be a nice line if not this year then next?

• Upvote 1

I was looking at Capgeek. I noticed Gaunce and Mallet combined are under a $2 million cap it. Maybe the bottom line is no matter how good Horvat and Shinkaruk do, both of them are at $1.7 and $1.3 million in cap space. Maybe they won't make the club just because of salary cap implications?

Depends on how close CapGeek actually is to the mark. Gillis has noted they aren't correct so it may not be as much of a factor as you'd think. On the other hand, it could be though.

cap space is available in case one of those two 18 year old's really show up and stick after the first few games. MG's gotta leave it open to allow them some room on the team. I doubt they will make it, but better to leave the door open for them. Really want to see Gaunce on Kesler's wing, especially after how he played with Graovac this past year. Belleville's line was Gaunce Graovac Brassard, which we have in Gaunce Kesler Kassian. We already know he can be successful offensively in that role, and still was named top defensive froward in the OHL. Gaunce Kesler shutdown, Kassian clearing bodies and controlling some board play, crashing the net, etc...

Could be a nice line if not this year then next?

Idk about a gaunce kesler kass line, would rather have more of a playmaker in Schroeder playing on that line with Gaunce centering a third line of higgins gaunce hansen which I think if gaunce can play up to his potentional would be a fantastic shutdown third line. I've always seen Gaunce as our "Jordan Staal" when he was on pittsburg

If Gaunce makes the team, it's not going to be because he'll anchor fourth line duties. Almost seems like a waste to put him there. I think Richardson is going to anchor the fourth line. Gaunce makes the team, it'll be on the third line. Apparently, he won a lot of draws tonight against the Sharks' young players.

I hope Gaunce takes the critique on his skating to heart and works on it. From interviews I've seen with him, he seems to get annoyed when it gets called a weakness.

Maybe when he gets to main camp he'll see what kind of skating you need to keep up in the bigs. You can't stand around and get caught flat footed or you'll end up looking silly.

At this point he's not gonna make it just on faceoff ability. Lain already has that going for him plus he's a great skater and can play physical.

Edited by DeNiro

On a Stanley Cup contender, 3rd liner at best is still one hell of a hockey player. See: Hansen, Jannik

Also see: Malhotra, Manny (before the injury)

Lol everyone called me a troll a couple weeks ago. Now it seems like everyone agrees with me. Gaunce will never make the team playing like that

Because a meaningless prospects tournament that has no impact on whether you make the NHL or not means he won't make the team right? Brilliant logic...

Edited by Pears