Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

Recommended Posts

Unfortunately both Granlund and Motte have shown they are better NHL players than Gaunce.  Gaunce is a good AHL player and has shown he is not good in the NHL.

 

Saying anything else is a made up narrative at this point.

 

However, I still hope JB dumps our middling players like granlund to get some late round picks. So letting gaunce play out the year on the Canucks would be fine with me if we just need someone to fill in for a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gaunce is very good defensively, reminds me of Malhotra or Beagle in the way he plays. Gaunce needs to move to centre and get good at faceoffs. Beagle was 26 his first full season. 

Gaunce has 5 goals over his last 40 games which would put him at about a 10 goal pace. Also a +3 on some very bad teams. I think he is a solid player but needs to find his niche. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Gaunce is very good defensively, reminds me of Malhotra or Beagle in the way he plays. Gaunce needs to move to centre and get good at faceoffs. Beagle was 26 his first full season. 

Gaunce has 5 goals over his last 40 games which would put him at about a 10 goal pace. Also a +3 on some very bad teams. I think he is a solid player but needs to find his niche. 

I’m also a believer in Gaunce’s talent. And I’d like to see him nurtured toward becoming a defensive centre, in the vein of the guys you mentioned. He’s always had really good positioning and the ability to read the play and anticipate the opposition. Part of what made him seem like he sometimes wasn’t engaged enough was the fact that he anticipated so well that he’d get into the right spots without having to cover much distance or move too quickly. His defensive reads and positioning were strong enough that he’d already pretty much be where he needed to be, and would not need to adjust or react much. I do think there was benefit to the experiment of playing him at wing, challenging him to take the body more, battle harder along the boards, and move him feet more. I think he’s added many those elements to his game and overall he plays with more noticeable pace and energy now. But I think at this point, the team that gets the most out of Gaunce will be the one that embraces and nurtured his strengths, allowing him to develop into a true NHL shutdown centreman. I really believe he could thrive in that role.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Gaunce could get 10 goals and be good on the PK.

Plus he'd come with a lot more battle than 21

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gaunce has been the Comets best player for some time now.  I'm torn because he deserved to be traded to a team that would give him a fresh start at an NHL opportunity but I'm selfishly glad he stays on the Comets roster down the stretch. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anybody tell me why Tim Schaller is more deserving of an NHL spot over Brendan Gaunce who is about 3.5 years younger? I think Gaunce has more upside and they both play almost identical roles. Both players aren't speedsters. I don't know why we signed Schaller.  I mean Schaller is OK and kills penalties but he isn't better than Gaunce and he's a lot more expensive.  Gaunce is playing good hockey in the AHL (33 pts in 42 games) and I think he deserves a chance to play more than just a couple of games.  I thought his play was improving at the end of last season.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 8:11 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

I'm thinking that this can be looked at two different ways; either the offers for him were not enough to entice JB to move him or they still see a future for him with the Canucks. The jury is still out on which scenario plays out.

 

Personally, I think they still see him as having a future with the Canucks but they want him to improve certain aspects of his overall game.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sockeye said:

Can anybody tell me why Tim Schaller is more deserving of an NHL spot over Brendan Gaunce who is about 3.5 years younger? I think Gaunce has more upside and they both play almost identical roles. Both players aren't speedsters. I don't know why we signed Schaller.  I mean Schaller is OK and kills penalties but he isn't better than Gaunce and he's a lot more expensive.  Gaunce is playing good hockey in the AHL (33 pts in 42 games) and I think he deserves a chance to play more than just a couple of games.  I thought his play was improving at the end of last season.  

On paper, Schaller was an upgrade on Gaunce in both scoring and grit. Hasn't worked out.

 

Either way, Schaller's spent a lot of his time as 13th/14th F, hardly a spot you want a young Guance in as he's better off actually playing vs sitting in a press box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm thinking that this can be looked at two different ways; either the offers for him were not enough to entice JB to move him or they still see a future for him with the Canucks. The jury is still out on which scenario plays out.

 

Personally, I think they still see him as having a future with the Canucks but they want him to improve certain aspects of his overall game.

Indeed. I think they view Gaunce as our forward version of Biega. The #13 forward and #7 d-man are an important part of a good team.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Indeed. I think they view Gaunce as our forward version of Biega. The #13 forward and #7 d-man are an important part of a good team.

I don't think they see him as very far from that. Little better skating, I think they like his character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sockeye said:

Can anybody tell me why Tim Schaller is more deserving of an NHL spot over Brendan Gaunce who is about 3.5 years younger? I think Gaunce has more upside and they both play almost identical roles. Both players aren't speedsters. I don't know why we signed Schaller.  I mean Schaller is OK and kills penalties but he isn't better than Gaunce and he's a lot more expensive.  Gaunce is playing good hockey in the AHL (33 pts in 42 games) and I think he deserves a chance to play more than just a couple of games.  I thought his play was improving at the end of last season.  

Schaller sure ain't cutting it that's for sure. I believe Gaunce would actually play tougher than what Schaller is. Another Bruin experiment gone bust. Easy fix though on the bottom line. Just start Gaunce there next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Schaller sure ain't cutting it that's for sure. I believe Gaunce would actually play tougher than what Schaller is. Another Bruin experiment gone bust. Easy fix though on the bottom line. Just start Gaunce there next year.

The fact that the Bulldog can come in after sitting for a dozen games and play the way he does never ceases to amaze me. Not sure what TOI Gaunce is getting in Utica but we know Schaller is not playing and when he does he gets minimal TOI. Are Schaller and Gaunce the type of players who have to have 15 - 18 minutes to be effective? They won't get that amount of ice in Vancouver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The fact that the Bulldog can come in after sitting for a dozen games and play the way he does never ceases to amaze me. Not sure what TOI Gaunce is getting in Utica but we know Schaller is not playing and when he does he gets minimal TOI. Are Schaller and Gaunce the type of players who have to have 15 - 18 minutes to be effective? They won't get that amount of ice in Vancouver. 

I’m glad you mentioned Bull Dog.  He’s created a niche for himself by proving his one superior trait is he can sit, like you say, then come in and play at 100% with not much ice time.  What does ?Gaunce do that stands out?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today’s reports that Canucks aren’t likely to qualify Gaunce saddens me.

I’ve always liked him and thought he should get more of a chance than he’s gotten.

That or gotten something/anything for him when teams reportedly called about him at the deadline.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gaunce looked miles better than Schaller. Kind of a shame if Gaunce doesn't return.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Gaunce looked miles better than Schaller. Kind of a shame if Gaunce doesn't return.

Neither of them belong on a good NHL team.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Neither of them belong on a good NHL team.

Gaunce does imo. Rumor has it other teams called about Gaunce at the deadline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Gaunce does imo. Rumor has it other teams called about Gaunce at the deadline. 

If that was true, why would JB not offer a min contract and trade him?  Who knows.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If that was true, why would JB not offer a min contract and trade him?  Who knows.

Cause that only happens in video games? Why would a player want to sign here when we are signing guys just to trade them right after? Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.