The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

And playing in such traffic (the high scoring areas that Baer needs to get to or Green sits him out) gets him injured.  Maybe Baer is just not physically build strong enough to take the abuse he must to be a successful player.  I'm not denying he can play; I'm saying to play well gets him injured.  

Green sat him out once - and that was after a 2 assist game.  He had 4pts in the 4 games before that scratch.  It was a message to the team because they were playing so poorly.  Scratching on the fringes wouldn't have the same effect and he didn't want to touch a vet.  He drafted Baertschi to Portland so he was the easy choice to scratch.  It shocked the room.  Daniel that one game Baertschi was out had 5 hits - that's atypical from Daniel.  

He hasn't been injured around the net.  The Hyka hit was in the neutral zone so was the shoulder injury.  The Giordano puck to the face was getting out of the D-zone.  The McLeod hit was also moving up ice.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Todd Diamond (Granlund's agent) on Sportsnet 650:

"Granlund likes living in Vancouver and his teammates. We have not had contract discussions yet with Benning and the Canucks. We want him to contribute more and get more offensively, but he is a versatile player who can play up and down your lineup."

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Todd Diamond (Granlund's agent) on Sportsnet 650:

"Granlund likes living in Vancouver and his teammates. We have not had contract discussions yet with Benning and the Canucks. We want him to contribute more and get more offensively, but he is a versatile player who can play up and down your lineup."

He's basically Loui Eriksson but just not getting paid 6 M a year. He's proven he can play a sound defensive game and contribute at a 4th line level. I still think there is room for him on this team.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

He's basically Loui Eriksson but just not getting paid 6 M a year. He's proven he can play a sound defensive game and contribute at a 4th line level. I still think there is room for him on this team.

I'm not opposed to re-signing him, assuming there's room, as he is a useful and versatile depth player. But I'm not so sure there's much in the way of room.

A LOT of bodies to clear out to keep him. Plus if we also want to add Gaudette full time, maybe MacEwan, the top 6 UFA winger everyone is clamoring for....

Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Baer, Leivo, Pearson, Sutter, Virtanen, Gaudette, Roussel, Eriksson, Motte, Spooner, Schaller.

That's already 14 guys and doesn't include MacEwan (or other prospects), the potential top 6 UFA, a guy like Gaunce... or Goldobin (I'm assuming he's traded/walks).

Not a lot of room at the inn. Sure we likely waive or trade either/both of Spooner/Schaller. I suppose we could hope an Eriksson trade (or retire :lol: ) happens etc but that stuff will actually have to happen to have room for him. And there's also the matter of role. Does he wanted to come back as possibly 12th/13th F?

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not opposed to re-signing him, assuming there's room, as he is a useful and versatile depth player. But I'm not so sure there's much in the way of room.

A LOT of bodies to clear out to keep him. Plus if we also want to add Gaudette full time, maybe MacEwan, the top 6 UFA winger everyone is clamoring for....

Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Baer, Leivo, Pearson, Sutter, Virtanen, Gaudette, Roussel, Eriksson, Motte, Spooner, Schaller.

That's already 14 guys and doesn't include MacEwan (or other prospects), the potential top 6 UFA, a guy like Gaunce... or Goldobin (I'm assuming he's traded/walks).

Not a lot of room at the inn. Sure we likely waive or trade either/both of Spooner/Schaller. I suppose we could hope an Eriksson trade (or retire :lol: ) happens etc but that stuff will actually have to happen to have room for him. And there's also the matter of role. Does he wanted to come back as possibly 12th/13th F?

How you get rid of Erickson aside don't you think it comes down to Granlund or Erickson? Quite honestly picking between the two I take Granlund. As you pointed out the competitions for roster spots is getting tougher each year. IMHO Roussel, Beagle are keepers and Erickson, Granlund, Schaller, Baer can all be moved if the TOI is needed for development. Sorry about Baer but I don't see him surviving serious CUP play. How do you invest TOI on a guy who likely gets knocked out. Tough reality IMO. Of all those names I would keep Granland the longest. 

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

How you get rid of Erickson aside don't you think it comes down to Granlund or Erickson? Quite honestly picking between the two I take Granlund. As you pointed out the competitions for roster spots is getting tougher each year. IMHO Roussel, Beagle are keepers and Erickson, Granlund, Schaller, Baer can all be moved if the TOI is needed for development. Sorry about Baer but I don't see him surviving serious CUP play. How do you invest TOI on a guy who likely gets knocked out. Tough reality IMO. Of all those names I would keep Granland the longest. 

I'm hoping Eriksson's gone this summer whether by trade or the threat of riding buses in Utica. Still don't know if we have room (or a role) for Granlund without a LOT of other moves.

I don't disagree re: Baer. Problem is, if he's cleared to play, you can't just put him on IR. Is anyone going to trade for him given his injury history...?I suppose you could try to move him for a bag of pucks but at this point he's a borderline cap dump unfortunately (no fault of his - or management's). He's another piece of the puzzle that's going to be VERY interesting to see how Benning deals with it this summer (along with the defense).

Have to think at this point we're better off seeing if he can't maybe have a healthier season next year and at least raise his trade value. Does Benning go in to next fall counting on him though...? If I were him, I'd be looking long and hard at Dzingel personally. He's not the 1LW the club really needs but I'd wager we can find that piece later (possibly this draft or as a trade at some point etc) and would at least offer us another legit top 6 (2nd line) F to play with Bo so we can at least round out two decent scoring lines.

Dzingel/Baer, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer/Dzingel, Horvat, Pearson/Leivo

Leivo/Pearson, Gaudette, Virtanen

Roussel, Beagle, Sutter

Motte

Still no room for Granlund there and that's after moving Eriksson (somehow), Spooner, Schaller, moving/letting walk Goldobin and no room for any other prospects. By all means, at some point we likely move Sutter, perhaps Baer and one of Leivo/Pearson...but that's probably not this summer. Just don't see where he'd fit unfortunately.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

For sure there are a lot of forwards who are going to push him out of the roster. My opinion more just comes down to Green and how he uses him on the ice. He trusts him defensively. We always see Granny getting moved around the line up to try and provide a bit of defensive stability to a line...but he really has no offence. But i'm okay with him being a 20 point 4th line guy. I get why Green uses him so much. And he is way more cost effective than LE and does the same thing. But thinking about that for a second...if we can't trade LE and he's back next year then they may be forced to move on from Granlund to allow the younger players to play some games on the big team. Quite a conundrum!

On 3/23/2019 at 9:03 AM, aGENT said:

I'm hoping Eriksson's gone this summer whether by trade or the threat of riding buses in Utica. Still don't know if we have room (or a role) for Granlund without a LOT of other moves.

I don't disagree re: Baer. Problem is, if he's cleared to play, you can't just put him on IR. Is anyone going to trade for him given his injury history...?I suppose you could try to move him for a bag of pucks but at this point he's a borderline cap dump unfortunately (no fault of his - or management's). He's another piece of the puzzle that's going to be VERY interesting to see how Benning deals with it this summer (along with the defense).

Have to think at this point we're better off seeing if he can't maybe have a healthier season next year and at least raise his trade value. Does Benning go in to next fall counting on him though...? If I were him, I'd be looking long and hard at Dzingel personally. He's not the 1LW the club really needs but I'd wager we can find that piece later (possibly this draft or as a trade at some point etc) and would at least offer us another legit top 6 (2nd line) F to play with Bo so we can at least round out two decent scoring lines.

Dzingel/Baer, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer/Dzingel, Horvat, Pearson/Leivo

Leivo/Pearson, Gaudette, Virtanen

Roussel, Beagle, Sutter

Motte

Still no room for Granlund there and that's after moving Eriksson (somehow), Spooner, Schaller, moving/letting walk Goldobin and no room for any other prospects. By all means, at some point we likely move Sutter, perhaps Baer and one of Leivo/Pearson...but that's probably not this summer. Just don't see where he'd fit unfortunately.

Good job. Sorry but I want room for MacEwan next year. I do think a new era is upon us. The talent depth is reaching a point where Benning will have more options on the trade market or as you suggested a better UFA attractiveness for those who might want to play in Vancouver. It is easy to say but I want a serious CUP competitive team. That requires a culture of fairly brutal focus. It appears to me that Benning and Green have that. I don't particular care to see a middlin regular season team. In that light I have no place for Baer or Sutter. I like Sutter as a player but his time in van has ended. He should be moved for pieces or a pick.  

As others have said, we have a lot of 3rd/4th line players so something has gotta give.  We will see a few guys leaving us, and if Granlund is one of those guys I wouldn't be terribly upset. The guy has some talent but is inconsistent and doesn't play with any level of tenacity  Granlund for a 3rd would make me happy enough.

15 hours ago, kloubek said:

As others have said, we have a lot of 3rd/4th line players so something has gotta give.  We will see a few guys leaving us, and if Granlund is one of those guys I wouldn't be terribly upset. The guy has some talent but is inconsistent and doesn't play with any level of tenacity  Granlund for a 3rd would make me happy enough.

He has expiring (albeit RFA) rights. We'll be lucky to get like a 5th (if we get anything at all).

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He has expiring (albeit RFA) rights. We'll be lucky to get like a 5th (if we get anything at all).

Can we qualify him - if he agrees then see if anyone takes a run at him? Does he have ARB rights? I'd be fine walking or moving on from Granlund.

16 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Can we qualify him - if he agrees then see if anyone takes a run at him? Does he have ARB rights? I'd be fine walking or moving on from Granlund.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/markus-granlund

He is arbitration eligible according to CF. Yes, I suppose we could qualify him. Not sure we would though if we're planning on making space...

• 2 weeks later...

Markus Granlund, while maintaining his #2 position in all-time Canuck Markus scoring, moves into 115th in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal tonight.

114.  Ben Hutton D 275 11 59 70
115.  Markus Granlund C 213 41 28 69
116.  Pavol Demitra C 97 23 46 69
  • Cheers 1

• 2 months later...

Granlund is a bargain.

He fits any number of roles and does those well.  He can play center or wing.  He can PK well.  He can chip in with scoring.

Better to try to unload Eriksson and slot Granlund in the 4th line.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

21 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Granlund is a bargain.

He fits any number of roles and does those well.  He can play center or wing.  He can PK well.  He can chip in with scoring.

Better to try to unload Eriksson and slot Granlund in the 4th line.

I think that Granlund is one of the many middling players that may be qualified but also moved this off season. He is not alone in having his future in Vancouver in serious jeopardy.

Depending on who JB drafts and any movement either there or in free agency; there are a number of players from last year that will likely not be on the roster on opening day of the season.

15 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think that Granlund is one of the many middling players that may be qualified but also moved this off season. He is not alone in having his future in Vancouver in serious jeopardy.

Depending on who JB drafts and any movement either there or in free agency; there are a number of players from last year that will likely not be on the roster on opening day of the season

While I would love it if whoever we draft in the first round is NHL-ready, drafting 10th overall I sure wouldn't expect that.

13 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

While I would love it if whoever we draft in the first round is NHL-ready, drafting 10th overall I sure wouldn't expect that.

I am not really expecting that who JB drafts in the 1st round will be in the NHL this year either but the player he takes may influence how he looks at his existing roster and adjustments may be made as to who stays and who goes on the roster for next season.

Granlund is the least of our concerns - I think he gets an unfair wrap. He is a very bland player, but is versatile and decent for his salary.

We paid him $120K per goal last season. 

Eriksson cost us $545K per goal. Schaller $663K. Beagle $1M. Sutter $1.1M. I don't mind re-signing him and just fitting him in wherever there is a gap. He can play all four lines, all forward positions, penalty kill, power play. He doesn't do anything well but he is a short-term piece of duct tape where we need him. 

• Upvote 2