Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Are you saying Baertschi is a career AHLer? 

Yes he isn't 6'2, doesn't know how to fight and he isn't an amazing two way player.  Same goes for Nylander, Ehlers and the entire Oilers team.  Career AHL'ers, all of them.

Edited by The 5th Line

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, these guys are brutal around here.  Granlund is just 23 yrs old (not even close to his prime) and there are only 12 forwards in his draft that have better stats so far. He only played 16 games for the Canucks, but showed he is a great playmaker who is a good passer and solid hockey sense at both ends of the ice.  From what I saw last season, the Canucks are short on his kind of skills.  Unless JB picks up another C, he will be the 4th C.

Enough already about Pedan as well.  He's just 22 yrs old.  Do people not realize how long it takes dmen to mature?  Some people seem to think these late rounders should develop as quickly as a top10 pick.  Fans need to have more patience with these guys.

Small and soft playmakers?  Yeah we definitely need more of them(sarcasm)

I don't expect much from him but I hope he surprises, I just hope Shinkaruk doesn't turn out to be a good scoring forward, I would rather not be laughed at by Flames fans.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Small and soft playmakers?  Yeah we definitely need more of them(sarcasm)

I don't expect much from him but I hope he surprises, I just hope Shinkaruk doesn't turn out to be a good scoring forward, I would rather not be laughed at by Flames fans.

Yes, I understand that most of the top Cs these days are huge.  There are still smaller guys like Krejci, Richards & Giroux who most teams would include in their lineups. 

I think he deserves a lot more than 16 games before fans toss him on the 'junk' pile.  Like it or not, he has better playmaking skills than most of the other Cs on the team and can hold his own in both ends of the rink.  At the moment, I don't see the 'big men' like Gaunce or Zalewski stealing his postition from him.

Funny how people want to give Shinks all the time in the world to develop into an NHL sniper, when he is just 18 months younger than (the similar sized) Granlund.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Funny how people want to give Shinks all the time in the world to develop into an NHL sniper, when he is just 18 months younger than (the similar sized) Granlund.

Ran out of likes but YES! 

I think people give Shinky the benefit of the doubt since goal scoring is sooo needed on this team, and the results he has the potential to produce are readily apparent. Granny is a playmaker, not a scorer, and his skill set is underappreciated/not obvious if he doesn't have competent wingers to pass to.

1 hour ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Ran out of likes but YES! 

I think people give Shinky the benefit of the doubt since goal scoring is sooo needed on this team, and the results he has the potential to produce are readily apparent. Granny is a playmaker, not a scorer, and his skill set is underappreciated/not obvious if he doesn't have competent wingers to pass to.

I think you are mistaking him with his brother - it seems a bit of a stretch to call Markus a playmaker.  Hartley liked him a fair bit and had him for the most part on the 2nd line for the last two seasons - he even had a long stretch with Gaudreau/Hudler.  This year he played mostly C2 with 30-goal scorer Hudler and Bennett.  Although about a month before the trade he did get moved to C3 and did get scratched a fair bit.

After listening to the Benning interview (re adding players in free agency), it just feels less likely for players to be handed a spot like it was last season.  So hopefully he comes really ready to camp.  His most likely competition is Gaunce and maybe even Zalewski.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mll said:

I think you are mistaking him with his brother - it seems a bit of a stretch to call Markus a playmaker.  Hartley liked him a fair bit and had him for the most part on the 2nd line for the last two seasons - he even had a long stretch with Gaudreau/Hudler.  This year he played mostly C2 with 30-goal scorer Hudler and Bennett.  Although about a month before the trade he did get moved to C3 and did get scratched a fair bit.

After listening to the Benning interview (re adding players in free agency), it just feels less likely for players to be handed a spot like it was last season.  So hopefully he comes really ready to camp.  His most likely competition is Gaunce and maybe even Zalewski.

Perhaps I should rephrase. Granny's style of play is as a setup guy- he's not going to be the high scoring forward that everyone projects Shinkaruk to be. I can only hope he'll develop along the lines of Mikael.

The in-team competition should be great this summer; I'm excited to see the guys put in some work! 

13 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Perhaps I should rephrase. Granny's style of play is as a setup guy- he's not going to be the high scoring forward that everyone projects Shinkaruk to be. I can only hope he'll develop along the lines of Mikael.

The in-team competition should be great this summer; I'm excited to see the guys put in some work! 

I remember the 'Becoming Wild' episode with his brother from 2 summers ago - they follow a player over the summer for a day.  They both train together in Helsinki with several other NLHers and Mikael talked of how they are always competing - others do talk of their competitiveness.  So with both being under scrutiny (Mikael had a bit of a roller coaster year), it should make for a good summer of training to come ready to camp. 

15 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Granny's style of play is as a setup guy- he's not going to be the high scoring forward that everyone projects Shinkaruk to be.

Looking solely at his stats so far in the NHL and the AHL, it looks like he's actually more of a trigger man than a set-up guy doesn't it?

22 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Are you saying Baertschi is a career AHLer? 

2+ points per game in the AHL or bust.

I think granny is going to b3 one of the standouts next season. 

• Upvote 3

On 6/18/2016 at 3:32 PM, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

People sure like trashing Granny; he was barely there for a blip last season. Give the boy a chance.

He's the new Kassian -- traded for their wunderboy.

On 6/19/2016 at 11:56 AM, nzan said:

Looking solely at his stats so far in the NHL and the AHL, it looks like he's actually more of a trigger man than a set-up guy doesn't it?

Yeah, he definitely had the scoring touch back in his AHL days. I don't think that's going to be his usage and deployment in the NHL though. WD seems keen on playing him at center and developing some skilled wingers on either side. I'd love to see Granny go back to being a point a game player but I don't think it's realistic for him, at least not this season.

On 6/22/2016 at 9:34 PM, Rush17 said:

I think granny is going to b3 one of the standouts next season. 

Completely agree, he's my dark horse this year. With Vey gone, I need a new underdog to cheer for.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Grans should be gifted a spot because of the trade. Who cares now..own your role, not sure what his is though? Playmaker? checker? set up guy? If he's still green then send him down for Green to coach.

He'd clear waivers.

34 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think Grans should be gifted a spot because of the trade. Who cares now..own your role, not sure what his is though? Playmaker? checker? set up guy? If he's still green then send him down for Green to coach.

He'd clear waivers.

Overly negative, and unnecessarily so. Granlund just got a two-year one-way deal. Management is clearly expecting him to carve out a spot. He was given term and guaranteed money. He's way past the AHL level, as he's been a point per game guy down there. He would surely get claimed, and the team claiming him would get an extra year of service.

Granlund needs to work on his face-offs if he's at centre. Otherwise, his game is a versatile two-way forward who can step up the line up in case of injuries, who can be used on both the PP and PK. 

• Upvote 3

I really think Granlund is being utilized wrongly by Desjardins. I'm not saying Desjardins sucks, or doesn't know how to use his players. Maybe it was a communication problem from management to Desjardins about the type of player Granlund is. It could be management's fault, maybe they didn't scout him enough and aren't 100% sure of what Granlund's game is all about. I really don't know anything about this since I don't get information about the Canucks from the management/coaching staff. I do know that Granlund is a superbly smart playmaker that makes the right decisions with the puck and uses his hockey sense more than anything else to be an effective hockey player. He isn't primarily a checker or a shooter. He's not the playmaker to make a sweet saucer pass full speed to a streaking winger. Instead, he's a head-up, play reading passer that sees plays open up. 

Desjardins gave Henrik Sedin and then Sutter (when Sutter got hurt, McCann) the nice offensive zone starts, and then Granlund and Horvat the defensive zone starts. So top 2 Cs had offensive opportunities, bottom 2 Cs had defensive chores. I guess he had no other choice, either McCann or Granlund, or have Henrik Sedin take defensive zone starts with Horvat, but then we'd have no scoring. So yeah, I guess he had no choice. 

This year, I hope Desjardins relies on Horvat and Sutter to take defensive zone draws and lets Granlund and Henrik work offensively. Not only to win games, but what do we have in Granlund? His bread and butter is offence and playmaking, well let's see what he's to be a NHLer.

10 minutes ago, Plum said:

I really think Granlund is being utilized wrongly by Desjardins. I'm not saying Desjardins sucks, or doesn't know how to use his players. Maybe it was a communication problem from management to Desjardins about the type of player Granlund is. It could be management's fault, maybe they didn't scout him enough and aren't 100% sure of what Granlund's game is all about. I really don't know anything about this since I don't get information about the Canucks from the management/coaching staff. I do know that Granlund is a superbly smart playmaker that makes the right decisions with the puck and uses his hockey sense more than anything else to be an effective hockey player. He isn't primarily a checker or a shooter. He's not the playmaker to make a sweet saucer pass full speed to a streaking winger. Instead, he's a head-up, play reading passer that sees plays open up. 

Desjardins gave Henrik Sedin and then Sutter (when Sutter got hurt, McCann) the nice offensive zone starts, and then Granlund and Horvat the defensive zone starts. So top 2 Cs had offensive opportunities, bottom 2 Cs had defensive chores. I guess he had no other choice, either McCann or Granlund, or have Henrik Sedin take defensive zone starts with Horvat, but then we'd have no scoring. So yeah, I guess he had no choice. 

This year, I hope Desjardins relies on Horvat and Sutter to take defensive zone draws and lets Granlund and Henrik work offensively. Not only to win games, but what do we have in Granlund? His bread and butter is offence and playmaking, well let's see what he's to be a NHLer.

Well, Granlund has that potential and WD knows it. But he has to learn the d-side of the game, too. He get that 4th-line treatment to learn how to win face-offs and all the rest that complete players do. There is no room for offensive players only with the Canucks anymore, thats why Vrbata was demoted and McCann traded. A team harder to play against means every player plays solid in all zones of the game.

But in preseason it would like to see some combinations of Baertschi-Granlund-Sutter/Roedin. This has second line potential and Horvat can develop in a more defensive role with Burrows/Etem-Horvat-Hansen/Virtanen.

7 hours ago, the harry said:

Well, Granlund has that potential and WD knows it. But he has to learn the d-side of the game, too. He get that 4th-line treatment to learn how to win face-offs and all the rest that complete players do. There is no room for offensive players only with the Canucks anymore, thats why Vrbata was demoted and McCann traded. A team harder to play against means every player plays solid in all zones of the game.

But in preseason it would like to see some combinations of Baertschi-Granlund-Sutter/Roedin. This has second line potential and Horvat can develop in a more defensive role with Burrows/Etem-Horvat-Hansen/Virtanen.

McCann was lauded for his defensive play coming out of junior....

• Upvote 1