Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yet another underrated player by the fanbase.   Every NHL team wants and needs a Granlund.   One just scored the SC winning goal.

I have always liked him.

Regularly makes a solid play.

I like reliable.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all already know how I feel about Markus. 

 

I think he's ready to take a big next step offensively, if given the chance and not hampered by injuries. He could be like his brother. 

Edited by Cramarossa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

Y'all already know how I feel about Markus. 

 

I think he's ready to take a big next step offensively, if given the chance and not hampered by injuries. He could be like his brother. 

Would love for Granlund to break out offensively. But the top six is gonna be a crowded place with all these young players looking to prove themselves come training camp. It's gonna be fun! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Would love for Granlund to break out offensively. But the top six is gonna be a crowded place with all these young players looking to prove themselves come training camp. It's gonna be fun! 

 

I would like to see Grandlund play centre on 2nd line in exhibition season if we have not filled #2 centre position...Markus plays a complete game and has showed signs in world Jr u20 playing for Finland and had a 19 goal season here...Lets hope Granny stays health he might be that surprise and I feel he has skill to score 20 goals - 45-55 points..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Granlund is such an underrated player.  Just don't put him with Sutter.  He would probably be a really good complement to Boeser and Horvat or playing with Pettersson.  I can see why he was paired with Sutter as he is a capable defensive forward but in doing so just sucked the offense right out of him and in a contract year too.  I hope he stays, I like what he brings to the team.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 9:18 AM, Where'd Luongo? said:

Funny how some of these guys that flourished under WD are so awful with TG.

This is an interesting point I haven't considered until you brought it up. We all talk about how bad a coach WD was for guys like Virtanen, but how about Granlund? He clearly thrived in WD's system and has died out in Green's system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This is an interesting point I haven't considered until you brought it up. We all talk about how bad a coach WD was for guys like Virtanen, but how about Granlund? He clearly thrived in WD's system and has died out in Green's system.

Honestly everyone was hot on Granny that year, remember how close he came to 20 goals before his surgery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎15 at 7:21 AM, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Granlund is such an underrated player.  Just don't put him with Sutter.  He would probably be a really good complement to Boeser and Horvat or playing with Pettersson.  I can see why he was paired with Sutter as he is a capable defensive forward but in doing so just sucked the offense right out of him and in a contract year too.  I hope he stays, I like what he brings to the team.

Cap management.

He nearly potted 20 the year before inflated by the Sedins/deployment. This season he was brought back to earth with the one of the toughest deployments on the team behind Sutter.

 

If he had potted another 20 we would be looking at paying him nearly 4m and would have likely traded him at the deadline. I think he will be part of the future core. A more cerebral Hansen with better hands without but the tenacity and linear speed. We need that guy who can play on any line in any game situation buuuuut I'd rather not be paying north of 3m for that when we have Loui on the books.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This is an interesting point I haven't considered until you brought it up. We all talk about how bad a coach WD was for guys like Virtanen, but how about Granlund? He clearly thrived in WD's system and has died out in Green's system.

I wouldn't call it thriving in WD's system he was often deployed with the Sedins who rarly took a defensive shift. We have seen Byron Bitz, Cowan the Brabarian, Hansen, Burrows, Carter, the list goes on turned from grinders into goal scorers playing with 2 of the best passers to ever lace em up.

 

I can recall at least 5 goals he had wide open net tap ins and multiple more he missed.

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Granlund's offensive numbers suffered mostly from deployment.   His powerplay time/game was about half what it had previously been and he suffered from lost games due to injury.  He'll score 20 in a season not too far off.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Granlund actually things he could see deployment on the 2nd line "for sure"?  Yeah right.  He has never been a top 6 guy and last year makes him seem that much further away from being capable of such a role.  By all rights, he better show up strong at camp or he's going to be fighting for a role on the team, period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-07-24 at 2:07 PM, kloubek said:

Yeah right.  He has never been a top 6 guy and last year makes him seem that much further away from being capable of such a role.  

Scored 19 goals playing (only part of the season) with the twins 2 seasons ago. 

 

Also, Sutter's line is likely to be our 2nd line by minutes played most nights (even if more a 3rd line by 'role'). He could easily play there again as well (Roussel, Sutter, Granlund).

Edited by aGENT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Scored 19 goals playing (only part of the season) with the twins 2 seasons ago. 

 

Also, Sutter's line is likely to be our 2nd line by minutes played most nights (even if more a 3rd line by 'role'). He could easily play there again as well (Roussel, Sutter, Granlund).

For your first part, I think his stats were inflated thanks to the twins.  Typically speaking, I stand by my belief that he has not proven himself to be a 2nd line guy.

 

For the second part, I do agree.  At least early in the season until we know what we have with some of our players. I guess that would *technically* make him a top 6 guy wouldn't it?  We'll see....

 

I'm certainly not saying Granlund doesn't have talent.  He does, and a lot more than we saw from him last season in a shutdown role.  I'm just saying that his belief that he's a top 6 guy has little basis so far. I'd like nothing more than for him to be a true top 6 guy; that would help our team quite a bit since we may be lacking both a "utility" type player as well as one more body in the top six - especially while Pettersson is presumably going to be sheltered, Dahlen potentially the same when he is ready, and we are waiting for the Linds and company to develop.

Edited by kloubek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I stand by my belief that he has not proven himself to be a 2nd line guy.

How many 'proven' guys do we have on our little rebuilding team though? That's kind of the point.

 

Now personally, I have him penciled in on our '4th' line with Beagle and Schaller. But he could just as easily earn himself the LW role with Horvat and Boeser too (or end up there with injuries). Or end up on either middle 6 line as well.

 

Is he a bonafide top 6 player? Perhaps not. I'd probably put him at the level of 2nd/3rd line or 'middle 6 tweener' on his own. He's certainly shown enough skill in the past that he could arguably play a complimentary top 6 role with better players (not dissimilar to Burrows -or himself- with the Sedins) and/or fill in there for injuries but isn't probably a top 6 player in his own right.

 

I think there's winger spots up for grabs on all 4 lines and other than guys like Goldobin or Gagner likely needing to be in top 6, offensive roles (or 13th/14th forward), the rest can (and likely will) move up and down, in and out of the lineup as opposition, slumps, injuries, chemistry etc dictates.

 

____, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson, ____

Roussel, Sutter, ____

Schaller, Beagle, ____

 

13th____, 14, ____

 

Five or six spots to be filled by some mix of Eriksson, Gagner, Leipsic, Goldobin, Virtanen and Granlund.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I really can't disagree with anything you said.  That's the one good thing about Granlund - much like Hansen, he is a good utility player who can move up and down the lineup.  I really have no idea where I would place him; his last year was not a good showing but that really was largely not his fault.... his deployment dictated he wasn't likely to get a lot of point.  (Not unlike Sutter's own deployment).  This year without the Sedins, if he has a good showing at camp I can totally see him deployed on the 2nd with Sutter as you said earlier.  

 

Your lineups I think are off - at least to start the season.  I don't see Green throwing Pettersson into a 2C role right away; although if he can prove himself I think he will end up there soon enough. I also see Baertschi being tried out on the top line along with Leipsic and Eriksson... all depending on how they look in camp; Eriksson will probably end up 2RW for lack of a better option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Your lineups I think are off - at least to start the season.  I don't see Green throwing Pettersson into a 2C role right away; although if he can prove himself I think he will end up there soon enough. I also see Baertschi being tried out on the top line along with Leipsic and Eriksson... all depending on how they look in camp; Eriksson will probably end up 2RW for lack of a better option.

I don't know they'll have much choice short of Gagner (or perhaps Granlund) there (and hence Pettersson on RW). Either way, I see Baer/Pettersson as the pair on that line, 3rd piece TBD. And regardless, it will see highly sheltered 'Sedin' usage of high ozone starts, probably closer to 3rd line 5v5 time etc. So I'm not sure they're too worried about him being 'over his head' in that regard.

 

I think they have plenty of idea of what Baer looks like on Horvat's LW (IMO a passable but overall, ill fit). I also think they'd love to spread some of the little, proven offensive firepower we have around to avoid being a one line offensive team (never mind that Horvat and Boeser are good enough to carry a 'lesser' 3rd player on that line). It also wouldn't hurt too pump and dump Baer in a highly sheltered offensive role should say Dahlen/Goldobin appear to be ready to replace him towards the TDL/next summer.

Edited by aGENT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.