Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Is Granny any good as a winger? I keep seeing proposals with Gaunce as 4C and Granlund as 4LW. I don't personally remember seeing him on the wing on either the Canucks or the Flames, though I know he played it. He said he's more comfortable at center. 

8 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Is Granny any good as a winger? I keep seeing proposals with Gaunce as 4C and Granlund as 4LW. I don't personally remember seeing him on the wing on either the Canucks or the Flames, though I know he played it. He said he's more comfortable at center. 

Treliving's take on Granlund at wing: 

I think he's going to be playing with Baertschi next year on an offensive line - WD had them together as from March (save for injuries).  I know the popular opinion is to have Baer with Horvat but I think WD was serious when he implied that he's not a fit for Horvat. 

WD sees Granlund as a skilled player and never played him with Dorsett or Gaunce - so I don't think it's combinations they are interested in.  When he was acquired he said he preferred playing with skilled players and that playing with 4th liners was harder because it forced him to change his game.   It's Horvat that finished the year between Etem and Dorsett - Horvat got looks with Burrows, Virtanen and Gaunce too.  They kind of fit the definition of more defensive wingers that WD said are better for Horvat.

I hope Granlund improved his face-offs and worked on his shot.  They need a sniper on the other side though - someone that can finish.  It's likely between Rodin or Virtanen maybe even Burrows.  WD did say his look was Granlund with Virtanen (but that's when he thought Baer would play higher in the lineup - he was talking of Baertschi having bigger/heavier Ds onto him next season).

I guess all this falls apart if Granlund gets outplayed by Gaunce for C4 (but Gaunce could also outplay Etem for LW3).  Then it's probably the more traditional shutdown line as Gaunce doesn't see himself as an offensive player.  Granlund did say he is not afraid of the competition (he wants a top-9 spot but I don't think he'll be unhappy on an offensive 4th with Baertschi) and that he's not going to let Benning down.  He trains with his brother and it's heavy work - the Wild had his training video up a couple years back.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

We have two gritty C's in Sutter & Bo.  Really, the way Hank handles the cycle game could be considered the epitome of grit? (But that's different than a gritty checking game. I  do understand the point.)

Do we really need Granlund to be another? The coach and management espouse a 4 line game.  Willie can deploy 4th line minutes and still send Granlund over the boards with scoring wingers, play him to his strengths. And even then, one reason we made the trade is Granlund was faster & more polished than Shink. The second was a lot of that polish was in fact two way play, in spite of his size.  Long term he looks to me like a good middle 6 C who can also score, just won't dominate physically.

i think without any additions to the forwards, the canucks are going to have to make a line up that is not a traditional top 6 & bottom 6.  its more like a top 3 and bottom 9.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

i think without any additions to the forwards, the canucks are going to have to make a line up that is not a traditional top 6 & bottom 6.  its more like a top 3 and bottom 9.

Sedin-Sedin-Erikson

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Burrows-Sutter-Hansen

Etem-Gaunce-Dorsett

Grenier

Second line is pretty weak but is offensively minded.  Great checking 3rd liner and grinding 4th line that can provided a bit of offense.

Granlund looked pretty good, he just needs a real chance to prove his worth. He is quick and shifty, I think he could be one of those sleeper players that goes from zero to hero, he has the smarts and skill and the right attitude, here is hoping.

• Upvote 1

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Baertschi - GRANLUND - Sutter

Etem - Horvat - Hansen

Burrows - Gaunce - Dorsett

Virtanen

Rodin

(just for fun)

2 hours ago, bleedblue2017 said:

Granlund looked pretty good, he just needs a real chance to prove his worth. He is quick and shifty, I think he could be one of those sleeper players that goes from zero to hero, he has the smarts and skill and the right attitude, here is hoping.

Really hoping he can get his PP acumen back.  That could be a real bonus for the team.

On 5/30/2016 at 10:46 AM, shayster007 said:

The final thing that excites me about Granny is 'the Benning factor'.

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!  "The Benning Factor" I believe, will be synonymous with something FAR different than what you've linked it with here.

• Upvote 1

Granlund isn't your prototypical 4th line centre as discussed so how about this line up

sedin- sedin - hansen

Baertchi -horvat -Eriksson

Etem - Granlund - Sutter

Burrows - gaunce - dorsett

Granlund and Etem had a bit of chemistry. Granlund and Sutter would take faceoffs on their good sides. gets him on the 3rd line with some talent and needed size.

4th is still a decent shutdown, physical line.

On August 26, 2016 at 2:29 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

On pace for 10 goals each of the last two seasons.

If he has only 5 goals by Dec send him down.

If he's on the 4th line or in and out of the press box, it's not that bad.

That being said, if someone looks as though they could outplay him in the same role, then yeah, waive him.

I'm patiently awaiting watching my boy this season!

On 8/25/2016 at 2:49 PM, nuck-lifer said:

Granlund isn't your prototypical 4th line centre as discussed so how about this line up

sedin- sedin - hansen

Baertchi -horvat -Eriksson

Etem - Granlund - Sutter

Burrows - gaunce - dorsett

Granlund and Etem had a bit of chemistry. Granlund and Sutter would take faceoffs on their good sides. gets him on the 3rd line with some talent and needed size.

4th is still a decent shutdown, physical line.

That's an interesting idea. I'd rather see Hansen on the third line than first but I haven't seen enough Sutter to be sure if the chemistry will be their lower down the lines. I like that this configuration lets us keep Gaunce up, but unless our bottom six steps up immensely we'll still be relying on our top two to provide most of the scoring. 

I love a underdog and expressed my fondness of Granlund early in this thread. Barring a trade, I wouldn't mind seeing Granlund on the 3rd line. 

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baer-Horvat-Sutter

Etem-Granlund-Hansen

Burrows-Gaunce-Dorsett

Rodin starts on ir

Pedan playing 7th man and D fill

This way we have a solid second line with 2 wingers who win faceoffs. Sutter plays shooter, which he did well when playing with the twins. I understand that Bo and Baer are not the Twins, but both can pass the puck and will benfit form having a shooter. Overall, hard working line with some talent and scoring ability and also sound defensively. Can be played in imporant draw situations having both a LH and RH C on the line. 

The 3rd line has 2 speedy wings that can forcheck while giving Gran space to let his natural playmaking ability take over. 

I also believe Gaunce looked ready for the big leagues and would love him on the team. 

Edited by shayster007
  • Upvote 1

If Granlund and Etem are on our 3rd line we are in for an extremely painful season.  These guys should be battling it out for a spot in the opening lineup let alone locks for the 3rd line.   ^^^That is a borderline AHL lineup

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

If Granlund and Etem are on our 3rd line we are in for an extremely painful season.  These guys should be battling it out for a spot in the opening lineup let alone locks for the 3rd line.   ^^^That is a borderline AHL lineup

Yeah, I don't see that happening.  I think Horvat starts on the 3rd line.  No need to rush him when Sutter is healthy.

Etem   Horvat   Dorsett

Bur   Granlund  Rodin

I think Bur/Dorsett are interchangeable and will provide good support for the younger players.  I like Rodin starting on the 4th alongside Granlund.

Oh yeah.  If Rodin isn't ready, then I think Zal or Grenier get a chance.

Edited by higgyfan

19 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Suggestions? Should we bring Alf in with some of his genius trade suggestions for a quick fix? (no offense Alf) 

Like it or not, or 3rd line LW depth is currently Burrows, Etem or Rodin. I for one would rather hope the kid has had a big off season and can out produce Burr for that spot. If Burrows is looking rejuvenated, fantastic. If Rodin is fully healed (which I think is unlikely for the start of the season) and adjusts to the north american game, great. As for the center position, sure we can put Sutter as 2C or 3C, but that leaves Granlund as 4C. The kid has potential, and is not projected to be a 4th line shutdown guy. I say we put him in a position to succeed (if he has earned it of course) and see what happens. 

I would say the common suggested lineup I see around here is, and easy answer is as follows.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Beartschi - Sutter - Rodin/Virtanen/Hansen

Etem - Horvat - Rodin/Virtanen/Hansen

Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett

Grenier/Zale

So, now we have split up 2 of our young players who have showed chemistry together. Put a possibly injured/ bubble player on the 2nd line, and the team looks no better then my suggested team.

Edited by shayster007

26 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Granlund has averaged over 10 goal pace for the last two years playing minimal minutes.  If he were to slide into a 3rd line role with high ozone starts he could be very effective in the 3c role. 

That top 6 has 5 players capable of scoring 20+ goal season. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 2