Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Sadly he is a mile away from his brother and while he didn't get long to show up last season I saw virtually nothing that got me excited. The first chance we get I think he is gone unless he has a game he hasn't shown us yet.

Sorry Thrusty, I really hope I'm wrong.

Granlund is still young enough to surprise but he will be at 4C unless injuries force him up the lines. I also see him as insurance in case Hank retires in 2 years. That is not improbable if the Canucks do not rebound in a significant way. When I talk insurance I am not suggesting Granlund is top 6 just that the depth at C requires him. During this 2 year period Benning can likely draft his 1C prospect as well. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

You're being needlessly negative, @Hairy Kneel. We get it- you hate the trade and find Granny useless for our team. Why even hang around his thread just to bash him? What is it about trashing a 23 year old kid that gets you off? 

11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

18-20 notches should do

settle down thrusty lol

s-l1000.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Don't tempt me! :ph34r:

Just an airsoft gun, don't worry.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Don't tempt me! :ph34r:

If you're feeling poetic though, here's the baby the Finns used to defeat Russian tanks in 1939.

lahti_m39.jpg

Yup, men on skis, using anti tank rifles... on skis

Norwegian_Winter_War_Volunteers.jpg

You can even just aim for their computers

yommborr347pbbaa1njf.gif

Edited by TimberWolf
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

If you're feeling poetic though, here's the baby the Finns used to defeat Russian tanks in 1939.

lahti_m39.jpg

Yup, men on skis, using anti tank rifles... on skis

Norwegian_Winter_War_Volunteers.jpg

You can even just aim for their computers

yommborr347pbbaa1njf.gif

That's hilarious! Something about shooting while cross country skiing seems very therapeutic. I love it.

22 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It was a mistake trade.Oh well move on let him try and show his stuff.We'll get chances to add better forwards via trades of our extra D men. 

No way to know at this point. Shinkaruk hasn't put the time in the gym to make me think he can play in the NHL. His arms are like pipe cleaners and he doesn't have the elusiveness to get him out of trouble. He took some hits last year that made him look very fragile. I'm a fan, but I think that it was a good idea to sell high on Shinkaruk. Granlund is basically the same player just a year older and plays C/LW. Canucks all of a sudden have a whole bunch of players that can play multiple positions. 

The PTO of Ruutu is a conscious effort to bring in a Finnish element to the team just as Granlund was. I truly believe that Benning read the situation perfectly. He knew they weren't going to make a push for the playoffs when Hamhuis had his face smashed by a puck etc. and decided to try as many prospects as possible in the hope that we could get into the top 3 and get a Fin. People don't seem to realize that we intentionally tanked last year... and that's it. We aren't going to continually try to suck for draft position. It's a terrible strategy and involves too much luck to be considered intelligent. With the Sedins here, a Jennings candidate duo in net and an increasingly better Defense, Canucks are a dangerous team every night. 

My guess is that Shinkaruk is in Stockton and Granlund is in Vancouver. If that's the case then the Canucks already won the deal.

• Upvote 1

As it is we need his spot for Gaunce or Grenier who are better role players as opposed to this tweener role. He's not really built for the 4th line and not a scoring threat in the top 6. If I had my choice Shink in Utica would have been fine. We don't have to 'win' every trade but when we lose on one lets just put it up to experience rather than give a spot away because of the stature of a trade, to save face.

13 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

My guess is that Shinkaruk is in Stockton and Granlund is in Vancouver. If that's the case then the Canucks already won the deal.

/thread

If Shinky is in Stockton then I'll get to see him and Vey at home games ahaha

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

/thread

If Shinky is in Stockton then I'll get to see him and Vey at home games ahaha

I get it now.  NorCal is Northern California.  I thought you were "off planet" like me:(

Alf is sad - and still alone. :(

30 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

No way to know at this point. Shinkaruk hasn't put the time in the gym to make me think he can play in the NHL. His arms are like pipe cleaners and he doesn't have the elusiveness to get him out of trouble. He took some hits last year that made him look very fragile. I'm a fan, but I think that it was a good idea to sell high on Shinkaruk. Granlund is basically the same player just a year older and plays C/LW. Canucks all of a sudden have a whole bunch of players that can play multiple positions. 

The PTO of Ruutu is a conscious effort to bring in a Finnish element to the team just as Granlund was. I truly believe that Benning read the situation perfectly. He knew they weren't going to make a push for the playoffs when Hamhuis had his face smashed by a puck etc. and decided to try as many prospects as possible in the hope that we could get into the top 3 and get a Fin. People don't seem to realize that we intentionally tanked last year... and that's it. We aren't going to continually try to suck for draft position. It's a terrible strategy and involves too much luck to be considered intelligent. With the Sedins here, a Jennings candidate duo in net and an increasingly better Defense, Canucks are a dangerous team every night. 

That's my take on last season as well. To me the tell was most of the vets booking out early. Higgins, Vrbata, and Prust clearly avoided contact for most of the season. They would do the old reach for the puck rather than take an extra stride and engage physically. They must have decided together as they started doing this at the same time.

Go Granny Go!!!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I get it now.  NorCal is Northern California.  I thought you were "off planet" like me:(

It's ok, Alf. Some parts of northern California feel really out of this world, like the Castro district in San Francisco, or Weed, CA. You'd fit right in! Plenty of stray cats too!

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You'd better update your profile then, it says Vancouver.  Don't you mean Melmac?  <_<

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

You'd better update your profile then, it says Vancouver.  Don't you mean Melmac?  <_<

I was being honest; I NOW live in Vancouver.  See...Alf is a very honest poster.  How many posters use their real pictures like I do?  See...proves my honesty.   :lol:

50 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

That's my take on last season as well. To me the tell was most of the vets booking out early. Higgins, Vrbata, and Prust clearly avoided contact for most of the season. They would do the old reach for the puck rather than take an extra stride and engage physically. They must have decided together as they started doing this at the same time.

Go Granny Go!!!

tinfoilhat1.png

Seiously, they didn't tank.  :picard:  Higgins and Prust were injured and Vrbata checked out because he wasn't given what he was promised when he signed on with the Canucks. 

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

tinfoilhat1.png

Seiously, they didn't tank.  :picard:  Higgins and Prust were injured and Vrbata checked out because he wasn't given what he was promised when he signed on with the Canucks. 

You obviously chose to ignore this part. "I truly believe that Benning read the situation perfectly. He knew they weren't going to make a push for the playoffs when Hamhuis had his face smashed by a puck etc. and decided to try as many prospects as possible"  Not only did we play more rookies after that, but Willie made some very questionable decisions as far as player usage goes.

It seems like the vets knew we weren't going to make it and started phoning it in. As for your excuses on behalf of the players, many players played injured. That's a crappy excuse, as is poor little Vrbata not getting to play where he wanted therefore it's somehow okay to suck arse. The vets are supposed to be professional and lead by example. Prust, Vrbata, and Higgins definitely did not do that.

You clearly are trying to appear like the nice sane reasonable one, but the old tinfoil hat is a sign of weak reasoning skills imo.

Also this is a Granlund thread if you want to discuss this it should be in a more appropriate place.

Go Granny Go!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

You obviously chose to ignore this part. "I truly believe that Benning read the situation perfectly. He knew they weren't going to make a push for the playoffs when Hamhuis had his face smashed by a puck etc. and decided to try as many prospects as possible"  Not only did we play more rookies after that, but Willie made some very questionable decisions as far as player usage goes.

It seems like the vets knew we weren't going to make it and started phoning it in. As for your excuses on behalf of the players, many players played injured. That's a crappy excuse, as is poor little Vrbata not getting to play where he wanted therefore it's somehow okay to suck arse. The vets are supposed to be professional and lead by example. Prust, Vrbata, and Higgins definitely did not do that.

You clearly are trying to appear like the nice sane reasonable one, but the old tinfoil hat is a sign of weak reasoning skills imo.

Also this is a Granlund thread if you want to discuss this it should be in a more appropriate place.

Go Granny Go!!!

I probably quoted the wrong poster.  You were agreeing with this

3 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Does anybody really think that having a Fin on the roster is going to make the smallest bit of difference to whoever the Canucks drafted?  There were 3 good Fins available in the draft but I would suggest that it's a bit of a long shot that Benning wanted to draft a Fin just because he likes Fins.  He says he likes BPA's.  Everybody knew going in that there was a draft lottery and even if a team finished dead last in the standings, there was a more likely chance of picking outside of the top 3 than in the top 3.  So the chance of picking the player you wanted was not great.  It is well known that Benning had a list of 6 players that he would have drafted depending on the lottery draw and the picks of other teams.  There was plenty of talk about Benning wanted Dubois who is Canadian of all things.

Players were played as the coach saw fit.  Benning doesn't tell Dejardins how to do his job.  Players were selected to play because Dejardins was trying to win games.  There were many injured players.  Granlund was traded for because they were short on experienced centre depth.  Cracknell's face off wins were less than 40%.  McCanns were not much better and he wasn't handling the physical side of the game very well.  Zalewski had only 3 games experience.  And Granlund was seen as a better long term prospect than Shinkaruk because Shink was more of a long shot.

I posted the tin foil hat for the conspiracy theory (or it's endorsement) that they tanked on purpose.  This is preposterous and  has been argued to death on CDC.  Dejardins was hired for his coaching ability and his good character.  Not on his willingness to throw games. 

Happy now?  If you still believe this crap then fill your boots. 

FWIW Ruutu isn't getting a PTO just to make Juolevi feel at home.  He's depth for the preseason and has a very long shot at being signed.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

tinfoilhat1.png

Seiously, they didn't tank.  :picard:

Fill your diapers...

I'm of the opinion that the management and scouting are thinking at that level. He takes a longshot Russian D-man and then trades a 3rd round pick for another huge bi-lingual Russian. The team slides into the bottom 3 and we are almost guaranteed to draft a Finnish player, then we trade Shinkaruk for Granlund...

Theorizing something doesn't equate to being a tinfoil hat wearing fanatic. Ruutu is able to relate to Finnish players and impart his knowledge in a way that other players wouldn't be able to.

I will no longer try to explain logic. I really don't think Benning is the simpleton that people are making him out to be.

15 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

That's hilarious! Something about shooting while cross country skiing seems very therapeutic. I love it.

It's an Olympic sport in the winter games.

6 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Fill your diapers...

I'm of the opinion that the management and scouting are thinking at that level. He takes a longshot Russian D-man and then trades a 3rd round pick for another huge bi-lingual Russian. The team slides into the bottom 3 and we are almost guaranteed to draft a Finnish player, then we trade Shinkaruk for Granlund...

Theorizing something doesn't equate to being a tinfoil hat wearing fanatic. Ruutu is able to relate to Finnish players and impart his knowledge in a way that other players wouldn't be able to.

I will no longer try to explain logic. I really don't think Benning is the simpleton that people are making him out to be.

There's always the -1 vote.  I haven't been using it.  You've changed my mind.