The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

At the time of the pick, I thought we made the wrong decision in drafting Bo instead of Valeri. However, after doing some research Bo seems like a very solid pick. I don't think he will make the NHL next year, but that is good as he could develop nicely by making it far into the playoffs and memorial cup once again. I have no doubt that Bo will make the NHL as a regular, but if he works on his offensive game, specifically passing/vision, then he will be a top six forward. If he can't gain any more offense, then we will still be a great third liner for us in the near future.

Gaunce produced just as well on his draft year. Just wanted a more dynamic player is all.

That's the beauty of it.. We got shinkaruk too who has over 100 goals in the whl. Watching the videos, hunter looks like the most pure skill we've drafted since bure. His hands are incredible

Horvat was probably the best face off man in the draft too and was named ohl playoff MVP. Pierre said one team had him ranked 4th.

Nichushkin needs a centerman that can create to being him to the next level (Pierre McGuire said this today) , there are questions about his hands, some scouts say they are questionable despite being able to bring the puck to the net, that he's not able to create plays for others and his hockey sense and IQ is in question but man. His potential and upside is insane. A lot of the same things about his potential were the same things said about Filatov

His flaws are obvious if you watch anything more than his drives to the net. He is a very poor passer. He doesn't anticipate passes, he is inaccurate and he throws the puck hard so it is difficult for his teammate to control. He even entirely misses obvious passing opportunities. He has a lot of David Booth drive no matter what in him and it detracts from other elements of his game. I really question how his game will come together because it is far from complete. I would agree with Pierre that he is going to need a center to spoon-feed him one on one opportunities on the rush and I would add that he hasn't shown hints of any skills beyond that.

As for Bo, any 3rd line C projection is bunk. He may play that to start off but the guy has top line talent. He scores NHL style goals and isn't bothered by contact in the least. He is extremely intelligent on the ice, both offensively and defensively. There is a variety to his offensive decisions that shows a high level of creativity. He is constantly anticipating the play.

You shouldn't be comparing prospects statistically, but if you need one thing to separate Horvat from Gaunce it is the fluidity with which he moves from one play to the next. He plays faster than almost everyone on the ice and that isn't talking about his skating speed.

Edited by Ohnoeszz
  • Upvote 1

So from what I've read so far in scouting reports and hearing on places like TSN, he has a very good defensive game and his offensive game would compare to that of Burrows (not necessarily a ton of skill but competes extremely hard and will out work the guy next to him). Can someone who has watched him play in person tell me if this is at all accurate, or does he also have a lot of offensive skill to go along with his high compete level?

So from what I've read so far in scouting reports and hearing on places like TSN, he has a very good defensive game and his offensive game would compare to that of Burrows (not necessarily a ton of skill but competes extremely hard and will out work the guy next to him). Can someone who has watched him play in person tell me if this is at all accurate, or does he also have a lot of offensive skill to go along with his high compete level?

He has plenty of skill, he just isn't relied upon as much for his offense, as much as he is for driving to the net, setting screens and even drawing penalties. Like i said before, he's an absolute game breaker. That's where i'd compare him to Kesler.

I'd say it's pretty accurate. I don't think I've ever really been "wowed" by the skill that he has when it comes to stick handling. Especially when he lines up to a player like Domi BUT if he wants to get something done you are almost assured he'll get it done. SO competitive and SO driven. I've never seen him make a lazy play. Being coached by Dale Hunter has definitely been great for him.

To be honest, I hated this trade at the beginning (didn't know anything about Bo) but the more I read about him and watch his highlights the more I liked this trade. This kid got great work ethic and is going to be solid for us, welcome to Vancity Bo.

Edited by KASSIAN.9

Check Horvats highlights from playoffs and Mem Cup this year. Any doubters will change their minds. For me he is really similar to Dustin Brown, competes extremely hard, good shot, good speed, good vision, plays PP and PK well. Gotta like him as a safe pick to be in the NHL as a second or first liner.

I really like the demeanor of Horvat. Polar opposite of Shinkaruk who also has a great personality.

Every interview with him he looks like a serial killer.

He rarely smiles and I'm pretty sure if somebody crosses him, he'll break them.

You can really tell that he's definitely a born leader.

• Upvote 1

He has plenty of skill, he just isn't relied upon as much for his offense, as much as he is for driving to the net, setting screens and even drawing penalties. Like i said before, he's an absolute game breaker. That's where i'd compare him to Kesler.

I'd say it's pretty accurate. I don't think I've ever really been "wowed" by the skill that he has when it comes to stick handling. Especially when he lines up to a player like Domi BUT if he wants to get something done you are almost assured he'll get it done. SO competitive and SO driven. I've never seen him make a lazy play. Being coached by Dale Hunter has definitely been great for him.

Thanks for the insight.