The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Grabner? Hodgson?

While I normally agree with your posts, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one Miller.

Like Playboi said, Hodgson was traded when he was playing up to his potential and showing great stats. What we got in return (Kassian) is moot because my point from the beginning was that MG trades a player either when his value is high OR as part of a larger deal. I'm specifically looking at WHEN MG trades a player, not the merit of the trade or MG's ability to win a trade.

Grabner's deal is part of a larger deal. Grabner, Bernier and a 1st for Ballard. Again what we got in return (Ballard) is moot. MG expected a top 4 puck moving d-man. He would be silly to trade Grabner, Bernier and (Howden) for a 4.25m cap eating 7th d-man...

This goes along with my point that if Schroeder WAS to be traded, it would be as part of a much larger deal that involves other assets to attain a bonafide top 6 winger.

• Upvote 1

While I normally agree with your posts, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one Miller.

Like Playboi said, Hodgson was traded when he was playing up to his potential and showing great stats. What we got in return (Kassian) is moot because my point from the beginning was that MG trades a player either when his value is high OR as part of a larger deal. I'm specifically looking at WHEN MG trades a player, not the merit of the trade or MG's ability to win a trade.

Grabner's deal is part of a larger deal. Grabner, Bernier and a 1st for Ballard. Again what we got in return (Ballard) is moot. MG expected a top 4 puck moving d-man. He would be silly to trade Grabner, Bernier and (Howden) for a 4.25m cap eating 7th d-man...

This goes along with my point that if Schroeder WAS to be traded, it would be as part of a much larger deal that involves other assets to attain a bonafide top 6 winger.

Fair enough especially since Grabner would've been lost on waivers anyway (given his previous training camp/preseason no-shows) had Gillis not traded him that summer. I actually like most of Gillis' moves but I think Hodgson was moved before his value was at its highest, which would've been at the 2013 entry draft, and yet still before the inevitable offersheet that would've been pursued by Winters had Cody not been moved by that point.

Concidentally, Horvat won't bring the goaltending for the canucks.

that's not my point..

i'm talking about who benefitted more from this trade in terms of filling a need. it's clear that no matter how good schneider plays for them, it won't matter. just like luongo in florida. if they kept they're 9th overall pick, which i'm sure they would've taken nichushkin with, it would've benefitted them more in the long term.