The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm pretty sure he did haha, some reason i've watched that gif probably 100 times (kinda hypnotic), it seems that when he is about to get hit he taps it back and then spins to avoid the hit imo.

The pass was definitely intentional but I question if the spin move was on purpose. I question it because of how he lands on the spin, it seems to me it was more like he was trying to stop up and jump back to avoid the hit and making contact with the Finnish player causes him to spin but it's entirely possible he planned the spin.

The pass was definitely intentional but I question if the spin move was on purpose. I question it because of how he lands on the spin, it seems to me it was more like he was trying to stop up and jump back to avoid the hit and making contact with the Finnish player causes him to spin but it's entirely possible he planned the spin.

he was spinning off the guy like a running back, not piroutteing like a ballerina.

you get the guy to commit to contact that you know you can avoid by luring him in.

Edited by tas
  • Upvote 1

Horvat was so under appreciated today by TSN analysts and fans in general.

Looks so much more polished than everyone.

Who's a bigger profile or hotter topic for viewers. "Next Crosby". Of course they are going to focus on Mcdavid... and then hype this years draft with Reinhart talk.

• Upvote 2

Fair enough especially since Grabner would've been lost on waivers anyway (given his previous training camp/preseason no-shows) had Gillis not traded him that summer. I actually like most of Gillis' moves but I think Hodgson was moved before his value was at its highest, which would've been at the 2013 entry draft, and yet still before the inevitable offersheet that would've been pursued by Winters had Cody not been moved by that point.

You may be right that Hodgson's value could have been higher had MG waited but it was a complete juxtaposition from a couple years prior when he was battling back problems etc. So in a sense, MG still made a trade from a strength position rather than weak.

I feel like Schroeder has not done enough to command a high value in a trade and that's why I think MG will wait to see how he performs on 3rd line before trading him. We saw glimpses of Schroeder last year chipping in with some points when used sparingly by AV and feel the Schroeder would have a lot more to offer this year if he was "showcased" and surrounded by talent.

Moreover, if he actually performs well and helps distribute the puck well to our other 3rd liners like Booth and Kassian, I don't see why JS wouldn't succeed.

Once JS gets a legit shot and we find out he is not what we are looking for, I can then see a trade happening but I t hope that MG will give him a shot with some talent first.

Edit- Sorry to derail the thread. I am super excited about Horvat and cant wait to see him in WJC. I am still nervous as to whether we should have picked Nuke but Horvat seems like a safe pick so at least he wont be a bust.

Edited by CanucksJay

Super stoked on his line today, they are a treat to watch. It's great to see them play off each other, instead of having a puck carrier force the issue as was the case with the rest of Team Canada's offense. (Petan was having a hell of a time, and Shinkaruk was imploding.) Reinhart and McDavid play a similar game, and Horvat complements them nicely. Not sure if Horvat is as comfortable holding onto the puck as those two are (especially McDavid) so I am looking forward to watching him more to see if he can be more creative with the puck during the cycle. He is on a similar level offensively away from the puck as the other two, so he knows which quick play he can make to keep the offense moving.

Sutter and Bob Mckenzie both mentioned that Horvat has a "heaviness" in his game that McDavid and Reinhart lack, and it is this heaviness and his hockey sense that complements McDavid and Reinhart's chemistry. I was a bit confused by the idea of "heaviness" as I haven't heard it used much to describe players, but what I think they mean by heaviness is Horvat's playmaking away from the puck. He reads and reacts well to the puck carrier, and he is bullish enough to get where he needs to be to control play and open lanes.

Super stoked on his line today, they are a treat to watch. It's great to see them play off each other, instead of having a puck carrier force the issue as was the case with the rest of Team Canada's offense. (Petan was having a hell of a time, and Shinkaruk was imploding.) Reinhart and McDavid play a similar game, and Horvat complements them nicely. Not sure if Horvat is as comfortable holding onto the puck as those two are (especially McDavid) so I am looking forward to watching him more to see if he can be more creative with the puck during the cycle. He is on a similar level offensively away from the puck as the other two, so he knows which quick play he can make to keep the offense moving.

Sutter and Bob Mckenzie both mentioned that Horvat has a "heaviness" in his game that McDavid and Reinhart lack, and it is this heaviness and his hockey sense that complements McDavid and Reinhart's chemistry. I was a bit confused by the idea of "heaviness" as I haven't heard it used much to describe players, but what I think they mean by heaviness is Horvat's playmaking away from the puck. He reads and reacts well to the puck carrier, and he is bullish enough to get where he needs to be to control play and open lanes.

I think by heaviness they mean he's awesome, and that he is the rock that holds(supports) that line perfectly.

Edited by Tangerines

The term "heavy player" is used to describe someone who is hard on the puck, hard with the puck and physical. Mike Babcock uses the term often to describe players that make you work hard for every inch of ice out there when they're on the D side of the puck and shield the puck on O. Toews and Kesler have epic battles in this regard.

I love the fact that Sutter went out of his way to praise this aspect about Horvat.

Edited by Millerdraft

As Miller mentioned, Horvat having or playing a heavy game refers to his compete in the dirty areas and in the circles. That line almost always started with the puck vs Finland and Horvat won almost every battle against the boards, downlow and in tight freeing up McDavid and Reinhart to do their thing