The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Without Horvat throwing that puck to the front that goal doesn't get scored. Reinhart took a few wacks so they must have thought otherwise.

Off topic. You have to laugh a the political correctness of the Swedes. Is every girl I Modo as homely as those? Every other WJ venue manage to produce lookers, especially the Czechs.

The presentation girls are terrible in Sweden. I thought all presentation girls were models because I remember in the Beijing Olympics all the presentation girls looked like models.

Didn't think anything of my "troll" comment. Having valeri in our top 6 right now would be exactly what this team needs. And everyone knows it.

Doesn't diminish Horvat in any way. I'd still pick him 7 times out of 10. Amazing kid

I guess is just Gillis plays his hands as safe as possible. Unless the situation is extremely dire, Gillis tends to pick players that are safe and won't have as many foreseeable issues in the future.

Because of his Russian background, you can't help but to be worried when the player is about to hit Free Agency that he might bargain by threatening to bolt to the KHL.

This way, Gillis won't be able to sign that player for cheap and will disrupt the... ideal or below market value contract structure that we have in our team.

Look at Yakupov, his first year with the Oilers went down very productive. Boom, the next year he played bad and got benched and all these bad rumors surrounding him bolting to KHL and unhappy makes Oilers hard pressed to trade him if the situation continues to go in the bad direction.

I think GIllis knows this team is going to need to retool or in the worst case scenario, rebuild. So he is trying to make sure his team at least have decent and safe but not spectacular but risky pieces to trade down the road. Seriously, with most of our core players near their 30s. How many of them can trade for really really good assets back that can play and replace their roles right away?

Hope Horvat has a great game tomorrow morning. Go Canada!

Not as big on Horvat as I was pre wj. Yes positioning is good defensively but offensively he floats and positions himself where he thinks the puck will go rather than sticking his nose in the dirty areas. So good defensive positioning, shot, faceoffs. Okay vision and passing skills. Poor skating. Hope he was injured.

I still have faith, but you cant teach skill. And according to TSN he is not in the top 6 most skilled forwards on that team.

Prepare for overreactions based on a handful of games...

Newsflash, outside of Mantha, Drouin, and Fucale most of the the team was average.

Poorly constructed and coached team. Time to move on.

Agreed. This was never a "team" it was a group put together of a bunch of individuals who tried to do it all on their own.

Prepare for overreactions based on a handful of games...

Newsflash, outside of Mantha, Drouin, and Fucale most of the the team was average.

Poorly constructed and coached team. Time to move on.

I'd add Pouliot (until today's game) and Ekblad, but it's a valid point. It still would have been nice to see Horvat play better.

Edited by mcgillnuck

i love all the people on twitter saying they should've taken domi instead of horvat... domi should've been on the team, but horvat was ahead of him even in points before he left. guy has been on a tear..

for the most part, this team was a disappointment. i would've had domi instead of mcdavid.. all flash, no bang

• Upvote 1

I'd add Pouliot (until today's game) and Ekblad, but it's a valid point. It still would have been nice to see Horvat play better.

Yea, both were good, although I'm not sure Ekblad was 2nd overall good like some analysts are projecting him to go.

Lazar also had flashes of amazing play as well. Reminds of a young Mike Richards.

Horvat played the role he was supposed to play almost to a tee. However there were no game breakers that stepped up offensively to counter it. I expected alot more out of Drouin to be honest. And McDavid, although very gifted offensively, is not a game breaker at this level yet.

I think Sutter failed to realize the type of offense Bo could bring. He tried him with McDavid and Reinhart and they looked great. Unfortunately he wasn't able to carry 16 and 17 year olds defensively, which is why he pretty much became a shutdown only forward. I gotta think that him and Domi could have lit up this tournament offensively if he was freed up from that role a bit.

Bottom line is this was a poorly constructed team which never developed a whole lot of chemistry.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

If you consider his role, Horvat has done really well. First he had to babysit two young guys defensively while chipping in and now is forced into complete shutdown role and yet still quite dangerous. Kinda like TC Ryan kesler

Exactly. He was pretty much a victim of circumstances. Sutter tried to be bold and thrust two young guys into a starring role before they were ready. McDavid should have been a support player at this age, not one of the teams stars.

So when that failed Horvat was left without linemates and pretty much became a role player. You gotta think that if McDavid is a year older and ready to carry a team, that line completely dominates. Too many missed chances unfortunately.

Maybe the Canucks will give Horvat a shot at gold next year though.

• Upvote 1

was expecting far more from Bo, i think he is nursing an injury

There has been a lot of discussion of a possible injury. I think he was sick or slightly injured earlier, but showed no sign of injury in the last two games.

The bottom line is that Bo was pretty good, but not as good as most of us hoped for. He is good defensively and good on faceoffs and good enough offensively to provide secondary scoring. But he did not show the kind of offensive ability that we were hoping for.

Still looks like a solid NHL player, but looks more like a 3rd line checking centre who plays PK and shutdown that like a legitimate top 6 forward.

And he might be back in Junior next year, although I would expect him to start the season with the Canucks.

(And, yes, I know it is too early to make a confident call about anyone, but that is how it looks right now.)

wasn't able to catch the WJ this year. Who has a non biased opinion on Horvat's play

Pretty much took the "Malhotra" role for the team which limited his game.

Most of his minutes were played in the defensive zone.

Didn't really get many good offensive opportunities, and showed little chemistry with Laughton. He also seemed to injure something in the game against Germany since his skating wasn't as good later on. Looked like he was labouring a bit to me.

Edited by DeNiro

@ Deniro.. a lot of people want flash and dangle out of a player and if they don't see it they assume he is a plug or can't skate. Horvat did the job he was asked to do and did it well, Torts is going to love this kid. The game he plays will transition him into the Canucks a lot quicker than anyone of our prospects.

What people need to realize is that Bo is an elite defensive forward, with offensive upside. He's the type of player that can be as good as his coach wants him to be, which will be scary with tortorella. there was too much focus on the "superstars" of the team. lots of selfish play, but i find horvat played a good team game, and made reinhart and mcdavid better when he was with them. completely unbiased, but he can play with anybody, doesn't need spotlight.

90% sure bo wasn't hurt.. it's a draining tournament.

Edited by Legend Killer