The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

• 2 weeks later...

Captain needs to get going, in particular to the faceoff dot.

His last 6 games, 4 of them have been under 50%.  He has really struggled, looks like teams know his style to extend forward and win it by sheer power.  Additionally, he isn't skating with the same speed and authority, wonder if he is hurt. 

I saw a tweet from the Calgary beat writer who interviewed some Flames, and they said they don't fear Bo's line, they feel they have enough depth to challenge his line at any given time.  Had a better game compared to last, but the captain needs to get going here.

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Captain needs to get going, in particular to the faceoff dot.

His last 6 games, 4 of them have been under 50%.  He has really struggled, looks like teams know his style to extend forward and win it by sheer power.  Additionally, he isn't skating with the same speed and authority, wonder if he is hurt. 

I saw a tweet from the Calgary beat writer who interviewed some Flames, and they said they don't fear Bo's line, they feel they have enough depth to challenge his line at any given time.  Had a better game compared to last, but the captain needs to get going here.

His FO% has dropped a lot. I was wondering if he has an injury. 

• 3 weeks later...

Guys on 650 saying maybe Bo Horvat is not a 2nd line centre? Sorry Bo Horvat is for sure a second line centre...

If Horvat had second line wingers he would put up a lot more points..

Hoglander  20 - This talented energy guy will be a second line winger soon....Maybe a 3rd line guy today, exciting future..

Pearson 27 -- Is not a second line winger - ---- Solid 3rd line winger..

Taffoli 27 -- was a second line winger he just sign the second day of free agency...I think Vancouver would of sign Taffoli signing happened fast..

Easy for fans to say they should not of signed Jake Virtanen but he has so much potential and after 18 goal season I would of also signed Jake..

Podkolzon 20 , 6'2, 215 lbs--will add lots to this lineup next season ----- Hoglander will be even better..

Lind  6'1 -- having a good season...Let see how his season turns out.. GP 7 - G 5 - PTS 7

Gadjovich  6'2 , 215 -  Big tough winger GP -7  - G 6  - PTS 7  Hope he continues to improve, would be nice on 4th line...

Edited by wildcam
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Guys on 650 saying maybe Bo Horvat is not a 2nd line centre? Sorry Bo Horvat is for sure a second line centre...

Was there some context to that? Like maybe, ‘Bo hasn’t been playing like a second line center the last 3 games,’ or, ‘when he’s on he’s not a second line centre, he’s closer to a number one?’

I have trouble believing they’re that dense....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Was there some context to that? Like maybe, ‘Bo hasn’t been playing like a second line center the last 3 games,’ or, ‘when he’s on he’s not a second line centre, he’s closer to a number one?’

I have trouble believing they’re that dense....

I guess you never listen to sports talk shows. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, wildcam said:

bo is on pace for like 30 goals over 82 lol

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, wildcam said:

Hoglander  20 - This talented energy guy will be a second line winger soon....Maybe a 3rd line guy today, exciting future..

Taffoli 27 -- was a second line winger he just sign the second day of free agency...I think Vancouver would of sign Taffoli signing happened fast..

Easy for fans to say they should not of signed Jake Virtanen but he has so my potential and after 18 goal season I would of also signed Jake..

Podkolzon 20 , 6'2, 215 lbs--will add lots to this lineup next season ----- Hoglander will be even better..

Lind  6'1 -- having a good season...Let see how his season turns out.. GP 7 - G 5 - PTS 7

Gadjovich  6'2 , 215 -  Big tough winger GP -7  - G 6  - PTS 7  Hope he continues to improve, would be nice on 4th line...

650 peeps  bo horvat ugh GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

48 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Horvat. The same guy who had 10 goals in 17 playoff games last year. 

100 percent agree.  Horvat showed his grit in the playoffs and brought a great game.  He is having a good year so far with some ups and downs and currently a bit of a slump. But this guy will always be a great playoff performer.  He needs a coach who pushes the team more than Green does.  IMO Bo is a gamer and doesn't necessarily do well in la la land where the coach is ok with mediocrity.

16 hours ago, wildcam said:

Easy for fans to say they should not of signed Jake Virtanen but he has so my potential and after 18 goal season I would of also signed Jake..

This is absurd. Bo a third line centre?? LOL okay.....

He's a solid second line centreman. IF he were to play centre on the third line, he'd be considered an elite third line centreman. He's right where he belongs - on the second line. 

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Bo is a borderline fringe 1st line centre. To say that the concept that he's not a top 6 forward is laughable is to be charitable.

Or to be less charitable and more accurate, it is trolling.

Even what you say is kind of damning him with faint praise. His production is typically around 60th among NHL forwards, which is middle of the pack among first line forwards, and around 30th among those listed as centres, many of who actually are wingers.

Combine that with his solid 2-way play and elite faceoff skills, and it would be more accurate to describe him as a first line centre than it would be to call him a third line centre.

• Cheers 1

Horvat, 25 -  is a very good centre plays a complete 200 foot game and will score between 25 - 30 goals -- 63 -68 points.

These stats are playing with 3rd line wingers, sorry he had Taffoli for 10 games...

Pearson plays a 200 foot game but is not a 2nd line winger, solid 3rd line guy maybe 15-18 goals -- 34==38 points   .

Hoglander, 20 - This exciting talented player will be 2nd line player for many years,,Very exciting player --- 

Gaudettet 6'1 , 24 , I would really like to see Gaudette play on wing beside Horvat for 10 games..Very good shot, decent speed might have more success on wing...

Podkolzin 20, 6'2, 215 lbs -- SO excited to see Podkolzin play beside Horvat after April in his KHL season is over..Plays a solid game, aggressive, has lots of talent would of been a top 5 pick if he wasn't in Russia...Very exciting prospect..

Kole  Lind, 22, 6'1 -- Having a very good season maybe NHL ready for 2021-22 season, improving  each season ? Seattle might take Lind ?

Gadjovich -22 - 6'2, 215 -- This prospect is having a break out season 8 GP-- 7 goals  might be ready for 4th line duty next season.plays very aggressive style, very gritty sure hope he continues to improve. 

Lockwood , 5'11 -- Should be 3rd or 4th line guy at NHL maybe 2022 -23 season, energy guy playing 1st pro season..

So we do have young wingers close to NHL ready...

Part of me wonders whether Green is utilizing Horvat properly.

I heard the arguments from Sportsnet 650 about whether he was a top six center, should play the third line etc. Which I guess could be debates, albeit i don't think they really hold weight at all. Bo Horvat for sure is a top six center, a really good 2nd line center but I feel Green is not using Bo or his line optimally. 

IMO, I don't even really think Bo Horvat is a match up / shutdown center to be very honest. I'm not denying that he is a good 200 foot player and can play both ends of the ice adequately, but when I look at Bo's game I don't see a defensive stalwart. Perhaps whenever someone is tagged with being a "two way center" they automatically assume he is Selke trophy worthy. I would describe Bo to be responsible and generally competent to play in his own zone, however, his general inclination is heavily slanted towards being an offensive two way center.  I don't necessarily see his defensive game necessarily as a strength in his game nor is it near the level of some other two way centers like Sean Couturier, Anthony Cirelli, Sasha Barkov, etc let alone Jonathan Toews, Patrice Bergeron, or Anze Kopitar who are excellent defensive two way centers.

I think he has good intangibles to be useful defensively, but other than his faceoff acumen, I don't see huge strengths defensively, but he has improved over the years. He seems more offensively oriented rather than defensively. His strengths as we have seen is generating speed in the neutral zone into the ozone, using his body to shield the puck, and getting into lanes to take shots. The more I have watched Bo over the years, it really feels that his game is going to succeed more so in the ozone rather than the dzone. Perhaps as he gets older and transitions into a lesser offensive role as he ages he may become a defensive center, but I just don't see him as the prototypical match up and shutdown center. He doesn't really exude that edgy, scrappy, and in your face style of center, rather just uses his strength to power through you more so offensively.

I'd rather see Brandon Sutter used in that role, and using Horvat and his line to generate more offense. Based on the the lack of depth and scoring punch overall, when Green uses Bo's line to see prime matchups, his line ultimately lends itself to spent more time the dzone, which leaves the third and fourth lines who are constructed generally already to be defensive to inevitably struggle to generate anything. So it seems useless to only have one scoring oriented line (lotto line) and have 3 checking lines.  I love Bo, I think he does an adequate job going against the best there is, but I think for the sake of balancing the rest of the team, generating more offense, and just playing to Bo's strengths let his line be an offensive line.  Let Brandon Sutter take those match up minutes considering he spends nearly all game in his own zone anyway. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

On March 3, 2021 at 5:27 PM, WeneedLumme said:

I guess you never listen to sports talk shows. 

The clowns that are on from 1pm to 4 pm I turn off Sportsnet 650 then..Prime time sports radio? 

Fire those 2 clowns ,,Please 

Hire Donnie Taylor  and  Moj

• Thanks 1