The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Honestly, I would have been okay with trading Schneider for the 9th overall pick had we taken Nichushkin. No disrespect to Horvat as he is a great 2 way centre player who is good in all situations but from what I've seen of him, he is a slightly lesser version of Kesler. Not as good of a shot but better passer.

Nichushkin is going to be a monster in the NHL, probably the best power forward winger you'll find in the draft. 6'4" almost 200 lbs at his age. Imagine a line of Jensen/Schroeder/Nichushkin - Sniper/Playmaker/Power Forward.

Oh well, crying over spilt mlk now. I hope Horvat proves me wrong and turns into a star.

Too much trouble with Russian's. If it's a choice between the 2-way Canadian or the Flashy Russian, go with the safe bet.

He's not going to have KHL offers raising his 2nd contract value and no language issues.

• Upvote 2

"Canucks have too many centres"

The Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup dressing 5 natural centers a night (Toews, Bolland, Shaw, Handzus, and Kruger).

That's just a fraction of the centres who were in the Bruins' lineup:

Soderberg

Bergeron

Campbell (yes, I know he was injured for the SCF)

Kelly

Krejci

Marchand

Peverley

Seguin

Go ahead and look for yourself:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/roster/?hubname=nhl-bruins

• Upvote 1

Nichuskin>Harvat

When you can spell his name right I'll consider that you have any idea of the true value of each player.

Just like most people, I wanted more than just a 1st back for Schneider but it's hard to complain about a top 10 pick in a deep draft. Since we aren't in on the talks Gillis had with other teams we'll never know if he could have gotten more.

But for Horvat, I was happy we went for him, and would have picked him over Nichushkin myself. I did really want a prospect that projects as a 1st line offensive talent, but with the reviews likely underrating Horvat as a 2nd/3rd line center I think we'll find Horvat fits the bill if we can surround him with wingers to do the job as well. Perhaps Gaunce and Jensen will be those guys, or Kassian and Shinkaruk make a case for themselves as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Horvat's skating is ahead of where Gaunce's was at his draft. One of the knocks against Gaunce at his draft iirc was that his skating was a bit weak.

When i saw them both play in february against eachother, they were matched up against eachother on many shifts. Two things set Bo apart from Gaunce, his skating ability and transitional play is absolutely superior. Similar players, but Bo is definitely more involved in all areas of the play. He's a can't miss player on the ice.

When i saw them both play in february against eachother, they were matched up against eachother on many shifts. Two things set Bo apart from Gaunce, his skating ability and transitional play is absolutely superior. Similar players, but Bo is definitely more involved in all areas of the play. He's a can't miss player on the ice.

Haven't seen him play other than hilights. He looks pretty solid physically. He looks like an NHLer already.

Edited by Boudrias

Would you say that Horvats offensive ability looks more natural/better than Gaunces at this point? Just curious, since I've never seen Horvat aside from watching some highlights and stuff before the draft and after we've selected him. It's easy to make a player look amazing in highlights, but it's better to hear from someone who has seen them play.

Would you say that Horvats offensive ability looks more natural/better than Gaunces at this point? Just curious, since I've never seen Horvat aside from watching some highlights and stuff before the draft and after we've selected him. It's easy to make a player look amazing in highlights, but it's better to hear from someone who has seen them play.

Horvat is more of a natural, in my opinion. I haven't seen as much of Gaunce, but the biggest factor is the transitional play and skating. That's what sets them apart. Bo is more natural, or instinctual than Gaunce in the sense that he is more able to create something out of nothing. Fast break scoring, and breaking out of his own zone is a big strong suit.

Gaunce is very solid in the offensive zone in terms of facilitating a play, but Horvat is more likely to take over a game. Gaunce is more of a player that lets the game come to him.

Edited by Legend Killer

Horvat is more of a natural, in my opinion. I haven't seen as much of Gaunce, but the biggest factor is the transitional play and skating. That's what sets them apart. Bo is more natural, or instinctual than Gaunce in the sense that he is more able to create something out of nothing. Fast break scoring, and breaking out of his own zone is a big strong suit.

Gaunce is very solid in the offensive zone in terms of facilitating a play, but Horvat is more likely to take over a game. Gaunce is more of a player that lets the game come to him.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Hopefully both become great players for the team in the future.

When you can spell his name right I'll consider that you have any idea of the true value of each player.

Just like most people, I wanted more than just a 1st back for Schneider but it's hard to complain about a top 10 pick in a deep draft. Since we aren't in on the talks Gillis had with other teams we'll never know if he could have gotten more.

But for Horvat, I was happy we went for him, and would have picked him over Nichushkin myself. I did really want a prospect that projects as a 1st line offensive talent, but with the reviews likely underrating Horvat as a 2nd/3rd line center I think we'll find Horvat fits the bill if we can surround him with wingers to do the job as well. Perhaps Gaunce and Jensen will be those guys, or Kassian and Shinkaruk make a case for themselves as well.

nichushkin 6pts 28gp

Nichuskin was the pick we should have made here. Horvat is good, but man we just missed out on the BPA.

The thing with Ninchuskin was he was successful because he was stronger and bigger and a better skater than most of the players he played against and that may not translate well against NHL defencemen alot of scouts also said he was a bad team player, he could only create for himself he doesn't make others around him better and he didn't have a very good "hockey sense" I also read an article saying that he was arrogant and a cancer in the dressing room I like horvat he is a good face off taker which is very important and he can make plays and set up his teammates solid pick i think it will help the team

The thing with Ninchuskin was he was successful because he was stronger and bigger and a better skater than most of the players he played against and that may not translate well against NHL defencemen alot of scouts also said he was a bad team player, he could only create for himself he doesn't make others around him better and he didn't have a very good "hockey sense" I also read an article saying that he was arrogant and a cancer in the dressing room I like horvat he is a good face off taker which is very important and he can make plays and set up his teammates solid pick i think it will help the team

Nichushkin needs a centerman that can create to being him to the next level (Pierre McGuire said this today) , there are questions about his hands, some scouts say they are questionable despite being able to bring the puck to the net, that he's not able to create plays for others and his hockey sense and IQ is in question but man. His potential and upside is insane. A lot of the same things about his potential were the same things said about Filatov

Horvat will be a canuck in a couple years, if nichushkin wasn't next season then he would never be. That's the mindset of the pick and big chance that would be the reality. been said before in here but people continue to bitch so i wanted to say it too :P

Yeah the more I think about it the more I like it