The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm pretty sure the Canucks were a true contender with Kesler as a 2nd line center. They kind of dominated the league in 2011 and he was dominant.

Agreed. I keep seeing this "Kesler is a 3rd line centre" crap. A 3rd line centre does not win the Selke Trophy guys.

• Upvote 2

Kris Draper. Guy Carbonneau.

Kesler would be Pittsburgh's 3rd line center. Maybe a top-6 winger. But wasn't he 'sooooo upset' about being the Sedins' winger? (That rumour makes no sense.)

Don't forget Mike Peca.

I'm pretty certain Kesler would have been given the change to be a winger on Crosby's line and the Stempniak deal would not have happened. Goc could easily have taken Sutter's place.

Except Teravainen may come to CHI as early as Monday and has tons of potential.

Kesler has more value, but the reason Chicago would never do it is because it makes no sense for them.

How can it not make sense? Chicago have 5 good offensive forwards, but they don't have a 2nd line center. Chicago would be way better if they had Kesler. I doubt Teravainen will come in and be a pure 2nd line center right away. He's still too one dimensional in his game.

Edited by Hedman
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, but that year John Madden did not exactly play 3rd line minutes if you remember as I do...

They had Arnott, Gomez and Holik all playing more minutes per game than him that season, so I guess you were right.

He played 4th line minutes.

• Upvote 1

How did this turn into a John Madden discussion?

In any event, third line centres don't record 20 goal seasons for 5 straight years and in 6 of 7 years. Kesler might be a 3rd line centre on a great team, but he's a 2C on most NHL teams. The whole notion of numbering lines is overrated, anyway. Why not have 3 lines that can score?

Even Selke-calibre centres like Toews, Mike Richards and Bergeron need winger support. There's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Upvote 3

How did this turn into a John Madden discussion?

In any event, third line centres don't record 20 goal seasons for 5 straight years and in 6 of 7 years. Kesler might be a 3rd line centre on a great team, but he's a 2C on most NHL teams. The whole notion of numbering lines is overrated, anyway. Why not have 3 lines that can score?

Even Selke-calibre centres like Toews, Mike Richards and Bergeron need winger support. There's nothing wrong with that.

it all stems from the 40goal season he had, people figure he should hit that every year to be a 2C. Little do they realize that only 4players in the entire league are likely to hit that total this year.

back on topic 74points in 57games is a good stepup for bo production wise. almost half a ppg up from last year. Hopefully he can elevate in the playoffs and mem cup again this year for the knights.