The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Henrik Sedin | #33 | C

-SN-

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Agreed. After the start of the year, I didn't think we'd notice them, but they are basically keeping the team somewhat respectable now and possibly even saving Boeser's Calder trophy-calibre season. If they can maintain a 50-point pace, I wouldn't mind them being signed for anything $4M or less for another season. A NTC or NMC is irrelevant since we know they aren't going anywhere. Performance bonuses might be an interesting idea though, since they'd be eligible in the case of a 1-year deal.

I advocated for no trade restrictions simply because it might influence other possible signings. Frankly I have been impressed by their play this year and did not think they would be able to have much impact. Resiging them is all about what prospects will press for spots and which vets will be moved. Do we keep a Gagner and Vanek over the Twins. No I would not as I would be trading them into the TDL. 

The two imperatives closing the season would be moving vets into the TDL and the 2018 Darft. They are connected in that I would love to have another 1st and 2nd Rounder for Benning to pick this summer. I certainly do not want any moves to keep this team playoff competitive. Play the roster and move prospects up and down from Utica. 

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

What do you guys think the organization does to commemorate the Sedins  (besides a jersey retirement).

If they don't remove the viaducts, them being twin roads, they should both be renamed the Daniel and Henrik Sedin viaducts.

Lol just a random thought.

Yeah, it seems that they should definitely do something beyond jersey retirement. They are so legendary in Canucks history that something around Rogers Arena or within Vancouver should commemorate them.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, it seems that they should definitely do something beyond jersey retirement. They are so legendary in Canucks history that something around Rogers Arena or within Vancouver should commemorate them.

Maybe a Pamela Lee Anderson statue near your arena with one called "Hank" and one called "Danny".........

• Cheers 1

@PhillipBlunt I didn't really check the tone of my last response to you, and it may have come across as a little snotty. Even though you and I have disagreed about a good many things over the years I always enjoy reading your well thought out posts and have never thought less of you as a person or as a Canucks fan, even when you're wrong ;) 

Merry Christmas, pal.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Green Building said:

@PhillipBlunt I didn't really check the tone of my last response to you, and it may have come across as a little snotty. Even though you and I have disagreed about a good many things over the years I always enjoy reading your well thought out posts and have never thought less of you as a person or as a Canucks fan, even when you're wrong ;) 

Merry Christmas, pal.

Merry Christmas to you, Green. All the best to you and yours. 

Take care, my friend. 

On 12/20/2017 at 3:53 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think any team should allow players to decide when they're done. That sets a dangerous precedent. I'm of the mind to say that Bieksa would have been invaluable as a defensive veteran presence, but he was unceremoniously traded. He put in the same blood, sweat, and tears into the blue and green, yet somehow the Sedins should be given carte blanche? I just don't think that makes sense.

the sedins are hall of famers

they are the best players to have ever played for this franchise

bieksa is not in the same class as them

hence the different treatment

overall they have also played for less money then they could have received if they had taken a more business approach

and that commitment needs to be recognized and the organization needs to show the same commitment to them

and allow them to have some say in how their careers end

this not a stanley cup team

there is no present need to use all financial resources to achieve a cup run

in a year or 2 the situation might be different

flexibility can be shown to the sedins as we have the luxury of no financial pressures presently

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

the sedins are hall of famers

they are the best players to have ever played for this franchise

bieksa is not in the same class as them

hence the different treatment

overall they have also played for less money then they could have received if they had taken a more business approach

and that commitment needs to be recognized and the organization needs to show the same commitment to them

and allow them to have some say in how their careers end

this not a stanley cup team

there is no present need to use all financial resources to achieve a cup run

in a year or 2 the situation might be different

flexibility can be shown to the sedins as we have the luxury of no financial pressures presently

I like and agree w/ what you say and gave you a plus... but why must you write like that? no period. basically one line per sentence. kinda weird no?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, khay said:

I like and agree w/ what you say and gave you a plus... but why must you write like that? no period. basically one line per sentence. kinda weird no?

well if conformity provides you with a level peace

and non conformity simply irks you

that's ok

the message still gets across in my posts

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well if conformity provides you with a level peace

and non conformity simply irks you

that's ok

the message still gets across in my posts

doesn't irk me, but noticed that you write like this in all of your other posts. just wondering if there is a reason behind this choice.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 2m2 minutes ago

Agent J.P Barry on the Sedin twins future :"Initially we were going to talk at the end of the year but I'm sure some discussions will take place before the trading deadline." #Canucks

That seems a departure from everything we've heard to this point....

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No kidding.  Not sure if this should be taken to indicate they would be open to it, or if they just expect they might be asked to waive.

It would be challenging to trade them to a contender.  They have to go as a pair, and what contender has 14m lying around?  The ONLY way I could see it happening is if we got an asset but took a bad contract as well.

I'm not reading too much into this though.  They plainly said they didn't want to go anywhere else and I have to assume that hasn't changed.  I also have to assume management will respect that; not like they really have a choice with the clauses in effect.

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

12 minutes ago, kloubek said:

No kidding.  Not sure if this should be taken to indicate they would be open to it, or if they just expect they might be asked to waive.

It would be challenging to trade them to a contender.  They have to go as a pair, and what contender has 14m lying around?  The ONLY way I could see it happening is if we got an asset but took a bad contract as well.

I'm not reading too much into this though.  They plainly said they didn't want to go anywhere else and I have to assume that hasn't changed.  I also have to assume management will respect that; not like they really have a choice with the clauses in effect.

I'm assuming they mean contract extensions, not trade possibilities. The timing of the trade deadline is probably more coincidental than pointing to a potential trade.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm assuming they mean contract extensions, not trade possibilities. The timing of the trade deadline is probably more coincidental than pointing to a potential trade.

Why even do so before the trade deadline then?  They can talk about it in the offseason.

16 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Don't need $14m at the TDL FWIW. It's closer to 1/4 that prorated and we could theoretically even retain 50% on one of them bringing it closer to a $2.625m cap it +/- in that scenario.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm guessing it's more like management will talk to JP to confirm the twins still have no interest in chasing a cup elsewhere. just a bit of odd wording in that tweet though....<_<

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, kloubek said:

We can retain salary, they go to a contender for cheap, we get some picks and prospects, they come back in July on one year deals at 2.5 each and we've helped the rebuild - Many teams would love them for cheap salary as 2b/3rd liners. Imagine adding them to Tampa, Anaheim, San Jose, New Jersey etc?

Don't forget teams are only on the hook for the 'remaining cap', so at the end of the year its not alot and if we retain say 75% most teams in the playoffs could have a shot at them.

https://www.capfriendly.com/

Here's some guestimate math. By trade deadline there is what, 25% of the season left? So 25% of 14 mil is only 3.5 mi for both players to your cap. hit.

$3.5 mil opens alot of teams to the twins and if the nucks retain even 1/2 of that its only 1.75 mil for TWO players....every team w cap space would make a call.

Edited by BoeserSnipe

8 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

$3.5 mil opens alot of teams to the twins and if the nucks retain even 1/2 of that its only 1.75 mil for TWO players....every team w cap space would make a call.

Can only retain on one of them FWIW so:

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't need $14m at the TDL FWIW. It's closer to 1/4 that prorated and we could theoretically even retain 50% on one of them bringing it closer to a $2.625m cap it +/- in that scenario.