The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I thought Sutter looked really good tonight. He stood out among the young kids. He does a lot of little things right; I can see why Green likes him.

Totally agree. All the 'dump all the vets' whining should cease immediately, but it won't, of course ! It was not a case of Sutter being 'great'. He was in his normal mode. The shiny new toys have a way to go still. Have patience !

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

A good 3rd line centre that has been forced into a top-6 role.  I guess everyone assumed he would be able to make the jump.... thinking that the only reason for his lack of points production was him being stuck Crosby and Malkin.  Chances are he is as good as he ever will be... hovering near 20 goals and almost 40 points.  

As long as he's utilized strictly in a defensive role, it will help free up more offensive duties for Horvat and Pettersson.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

A good 3rd line centre that has been forced into a top-6 role.  I guess everyone assumed he would be able to make the jump.... thinking that the only reason for his lack of points production was him being stuck Crosby and Malkin.  Chances are he is as good as he ever will be... hovering near 20 goals and almost 40 points.  

As long as he's utilized strictly in a defensive role, it will help free up more offensive duties for Horvat and Pettersson.  

If Gaudette continues to impress from the center spot, and Beagle shows he's still a beast as a fourth line center, I see Sutter moving to the wing.  

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

He's a very versatile and underrated player.

100% agree.  I like Sutter as a checker, but think he could be a good middle six winger too.  Maybe he could (kind of) help Gaudette along in his development by playing on his wing?  Or, there is EP too.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

100% agree.  I like Sutter as a checker, but think he could be a good middle six winger too.  Maybe he could (kind of) help Gaudette along in his development by playing on his wing?  Or, there is EP too.  

Sutter worked when he played on the wing with the Sedins. He could also spell off Gaudette with faceoffs.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

If Gaudette continues to impress from the center spot, and Beagle shows he's still a beast as a fourth line center, I see Sutter moving to the wing.  

Feels like a waste of Sutter's finesse in the faceoff circle though. 

That said, I'd be all for him taking draws and then moving to the wing after the draw. 

• 2 weeks later...

In all the excitement of Pettersson and opening night, Sutter moved up one more spot as the highest mover up the all-time Canuck scoring list

109.  Murray Hall C 109 27 44 71
110.  Brandon Sutter C 162 33 37 70
111.  Jim Benning D 241 15 55 70
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

In all the excitement of Pettersson and opening night, Sutter moved up one more spot as the highest mover up the all-time Canuck scoring list

Glad to see this back this year!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Past Benning no less :lol:

• Haha 1

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/micd-up--sutter-vs-flames/t-277437438/c-61587803

Not sure how to embed the video, but love this mic'd up with Sutter. Really shows him as a leader out on the ice, directing traffic, engaging with all the guys, confident in his ability. And seems to be making a good effort to make Pettersson feel at home. Benning was right when he traded for him, he is a foundational piece. He may not be the most important pillar, but an important one nonetheless, to help transition from the Sedin era and take some of the tough minutes from the young guys. The way we hear Tanev, Edler, and Bo talk about the Sedins setting the example, I feel like we may hear the new guys talk that way about Sutter in 4 or 5 years. He may be overpaid for what he does statistically on paper, but I really don't see it as an issue, especially when it's not my $$ and it's not currently affecting the teams ability to sign young players - and his contract will likely expire before then anyways. To be fair this is only hearing Sutter talk, I'm sure Bo et. al are the same way, but still I think it shows why Benning traded for him and why he was given an A. And he seems to love that defensive role, which is great. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Having Sutter be the highest mover up the all-time Canuck scoring list is a bit like kissing your Aunt.  But the guy deserves props for moving into 106th in all-time Canuck scoring while playing those hard minutes

105.  Ted Taylor LW 191 35 40 75
106.  Brandon Sutter C 169 36 37 73
107.  Mike Ridley C 112 26 47 73
Edited by Wilbur

Been noticing that Sutter has been struggling in the faceoff dot this season.  Some might think its because Jay Beagle is out so Sutts is double duty on everything which is leading to poor proficiency, but this has been the case since game 1 actually.

Going at a near 47% proficiency compared to being in the mid 50% in each of the last 3 seasons.

He is taking a new stance this season where he is arching his stick lower to the ice and rather using the whole blade, he is using more of the heel of the stick to shelter and draw back.   Interesting new method.

Also his wingers Roussel, and Virtanen need to be more proactive in helping him in winger win draws, Sutter I noticed has been getting tied up frequently in the draw.  Not sure if that is a byproduct of needing better communication with his wingers, or the wingers need to be more vigilant.

Just a small thing i noticed about his game, but he has done an exceptional job so far in playing a responsible two way game.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...