The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

I don’t understand all the love for his defensive game, his line gets stuck in their own zone more often than they do anything else, and when they do get the puck out, the play dies on his stick.

A GOOD checking centre is one that can play against top lines and break up the cycle and actually spend a shift or two in the offensive zone. Think Bolland against the Sedins.

Joe Schmoe could get stuck in his own zone all game and get bailed out by Markstrom. The difference is he doesn’t get paid 4Mil.

Yes Brandon wins face offs. That’s about it.

I wonder, if benning has talked to sutter about a possible trade? It could be he was brought back in to soon after his previous injury but he just hasen't been putting his all out on the ice since then.He has no speed in his first couple pushes , his top end gear has slid also. He seems a bit behind on every play. Green has obviously given beagle the lying share of the harder defensive Match ups also. Was he tired ,trying to get back to game shape or a bit dismayed?

30 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I don’t understand all the love for his defensive game, his line gets stuck in their own zone more often than they do anything else, and when they do get the puck out, the play dies on his stick.

A GOOD checking centre is one that can play against top lines and break up the cycle and actually spend a shift or two in the offensive zone. Think Bolland against the Sedins.

Joe Schmoe could get stuck in his own zone all game and get bailed out by Markstrom. The difference is he doesn’t get paid 4Mil.

Yes Brandon wins face offs. That’s about it.

not there's more. He's been very good in the GA category, which is obviously key for his role. When you compare his GA numbers last year he's in some good company. This years different but he's also been injured nearly the entire year. 

I know some stats guys pooh on face-off stats but possession matters. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

My only concern about Sutter is the amount of his down time. He provides a solid C role but saying that he will not be part of a serious CUP run with this team. It will be about when he is moved and not if. That said there is no hurry. 

I think Guadette has just made Sutter an asset to move,. If Sutter can ever get healthy to prove himself an asset to move.

• Upvote 1

Didn't know that he has a full no - trade - clause.

Bruins seek to add a veteran Center to their group. Will be interesting to see if the Bruins take action before the trade deadline or in the offseason.

Canucks could make Sutter available

Jason Brough of The Athletic: With Bo Horvat, Elias Pettersson, Jay Beagle and Adam Gaudette down the middle, the Vancouver Canucks could look to move Brandon Sutter.

Sutter has two years left on his contract and a full no-trade clause. After July 1st it changes to a 15-team no-trade list.

Sutter may be willing to waive if he has some control on where he ends up. The Boston Bruins and Minnesota could be looking for centers.

If the Canucks were willing to retain some salary, he might be more desirable.

The Canucks will mostly retain him past the deadline and find a trade partner in the offseason when teams have a little more cap flexibility.

4 minutes ago, Archie the grim said:

Gaudette is a better player right now, and is only going to get better. Sutter has no offence, 2 assists in 26 games, his % of faceoff wins is only 48%. So he’s not even good at that. Time to say bye bye

When healthy Sutter can be a major piece of any team. My concern is the number of injuries that are re-occuring. Balancing the return by moving him now versus next year is the issue. Low value now but much higher later. No real pressure to deal now. 

• Upvote 1

On February 13, 2019 at 1:55 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

Is Sutter still in line for the C next year or a possible split with Edler?

I sure hope not Sutter 30 yrs old replacing with Gaudette who has more offence skill.... I am surprised Sutter was a 1st rd pick...Never put up many points in Western Hockey league...PLease trade Sutter if not at trade deadline then Summer...Need to move on younger more skill.....

We have Beagle, Motte, Horvat, Gaudette for PK...

1. Horvat ---- Don't know what management is waiting for age 23????  Perfect guy = Captain - BO

2, Pettersson if you wait 1-2 yrs..

14 hours ago, Archie the grim said:

Gaudette is a better player right now, and is only going to get better. Sutter has no offence, 2 assists in 26 games, his % of faceoff wins is only 48%. So he’s not even good at that. Time to say bye bye

Benning labeling Sutter as a "foundation player" was as bad as Brian Burke labeling Kevin Weekes as "goalie of the future".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Boudrias said:

When healthy Sutter can be a major piece of any team. My concern is the number of injuries that are re-occuring. Balancing the return by moving him now versus next year is the issue. Low value now but much higher later. No real pressure to deal now. 

Sutter is a major piece alright, and its a piece that usually ends up in a toilet bowl

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Benning labeling Sutter as a "foundation player" was as bad as Brian Burke labeling Kevin Weekes as "goalie of the future".

Sutter was honestly a key piece to our team up until this year. Beagle's arrival combined with Sutter's struggles this year have made all fans have amnesia and forget how good he was for us over the past two years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Sutter was honestly a key piece to our team up until this year. Beagle's arrival combined with Sutter's struggles this year have made all fans have amnesia and forget how good he was for us over the past two years.

Sorry, but with the exception of '16-'17, Sutter has been very injury prone, missing more than 20 games three times and more than half the season twice, including this season. The guy recently turned 30 and for a player that age, that's not a good sign. Especially for a player who's supposed to be a "foundation player".

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Archie the grim said:

Agree with most of what you say.  However, what team will want Sutter for next year too?  I think Sutter’s highest value will be at the 2020 TDL.  He will be on an expiring contract.  

14 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

No one can tell if a player will have an iron man career in the NHL,  or the one that Rodin had.

If Sutter could have ever given us 70 games a year, we all might have seen what Benning meant, and been talking differently about this..  but he needs to get healthy and prove himself to be able to keep his career going in the NHL, and the Canucks to get anything above a 5th rnd pick for him.

Chances are with the amount and rate of young players now making the NHL, personally, it might be wiser for Sutter to consider retirement and get out of the game before the age of 30 feels like 80.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

No one can tell if a player will have an iron man career in the NHL,  or the one that Rodin had.

If Sutter could have ever given us 70 games a year, we all might have seen what Benning meant, and been talking differently about this..  but he needs to get healthy and prove himself to be able to keep his career going in the NHL, and the Canucks to get anything above a 5th rnd pick for him.

Chances are with the amount and rate of young players now making the NHL, personally, it might be wiser for Sutter to consider retirement and get out of the game before the age of 30 feels like 80.

Lol.

Sutter is not gonna retire. Come on.

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Beagles arrival should have complimented Sutter’s position here..  but that is primarily the problem with Sutter, he is a ghost.. and has been for most of his time with the Canucks.

I have a problem with players getting paid 4m up,  for 40 or so games a season.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

So he plays 10 games a year,  that’s ok .?

He has one more year, after this one, on his contract.  He will another contract after this somewhere, but it’s going to be a cheap one.  He might retire, considering the dollars he’d be making compared to what he’s getting now.  I could definitely see him retiring after this contract too.