The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He has one more year, after this one, on his contract.  He will another contract after this somewhere, but it’s going to be a cheap one.  He might retire, considering the dollars he’d be making compared to what he’s getting now.  I could definitely see him retiring after this contract too.  

Sounds like next season’s Gagner..  waived to the minors.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Sounds like next season’s Gagner..  waived to the minors.

Or he stays on LTIR the whole season?  Kind of Robidau Island treatment?  I say play him as little as possible next season, and hope we get a OJ k for him at the 2020 TDL.  Same goes for Tanev.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Or he stays on LTIR the whole season?  Kind of Robidau Island treatment?  I say play him as little as possible next season, and hope we get a OJ k for him at the 2020 TDL.  Same goes for Tanev.  

The good thing is that Benning has stated, and stuck to his word on players worthy of playing in the bigs, play..  those not , don’t.

We haven’t seen Schaller for a while either..

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The good thing is that Benning has stated, and stuck to his word on players worthy of playing in the bigs, play..  those not , don’t.

We haven’t seen Schaller for a while either..

Good point.  It looks like Big Mac passed over Schaller.  Gaudette has clearly passed Sutter.  Now, who can we look forward to passing Errikson?  

8 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Sorry, but with the exception of '16-'17, Sutter has been very injury prone, missing more than 20 games three times and more than half the season twice, including this season. The guy recently turned 30 and for a player that age, that's not a good sign. Especially for a player who's supposed to be a "foundation player".

I never said he was healthy, I said he was good. I can't understand how fans can hate on a player for something that they have almost no control over.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I never said he was healthy, I said he was good. I can't understand how fans can hate on a player for something that they have almost no control over.

I know this sounds harsh but injury-prone players are a liability. There trade value goes down, for starters. Also, Brandon doesn't play with that typical "Sutter" edge. 

• Like 1

It's insanely frustrating seeing how injury prone he is with us. Especially given he had like 5+ seasons (he played 48 of 48 games in the lockout season) with 70+ games played. Did Tanev rub off on him in the worst way possible? At this point the pluses he brings on the ice isn't worth keeping him around when he's injured almost half the time. It's part of the reason why I think it'd be fine moving Tanman too. They are too injured too often that the pros to keeping them aren't worth that con.

29 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It's insanely frustrating seeing how injury prone he is with us. Especially given he had like 5+ seasons (he played 48 of 48 games in the lockout season) with 70+ games played. Did Tanev rub off on him in the worst way possible? At this point the pluses he brings on the ice isn't worth keeping him around when he's injured almost half the time. It's part of the reason why I think it'd be fine moving Tanman too. They are too injured too often that the pros to keeping them aren't worth that con.

I don't know what it is, but it is weird. He missed a grand total of 3 games over 5 seasons before coming to us. 3 season missing 0 games, an 81, and an 80 game season. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

He has one more year, after this one, on his contract.  He will another contract after this somewhere, but it’s going to be a cheap one.  He might retire, considering the dollars he’d be making compared to what he’s getting now.  I could definitely see him retiring after this contract too.  

Sutter actually has 2 more years after this one.  If he is still injury prone next year we may have to bite the bullet and eat half his salary to get another team to take him.  The same with Baertschi.  Either that or both have to go on LTIR for a couple years.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sutter actually has 2 more years after this one.  If he is still injury prone next year we may have to bite the bullet and eat half his salary to get another team to take him.  The same with Baertschi.  Either that or both have to go on LTIR for a couple years.

LTIR for both.  I’m sure both contracts are insured.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

it would be interesting to trade them both and see if their injuries continue.

that could start some rumors

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not looking good for Baer. I suspect his career could be done. Half a dozen concussions in a relatively short time.

Sutter has had some major injuries this year and that has to impact his play. He is a quality 3C who has been bumped to 2C to cover other players injuries. I doubt 

Benning gives up on him easily since he is a leader and quality person. That said the youth might make him expendable especially if value comes back.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Not looking good for Baer. I suspect his career could be done. Half a dozen concussions in a relatively short time.

Sutter has had some major injuries this year and that has to impact his play. He is a quality 3C who has been bumped to 2C to cover other players injuries. I doubt 

Benning gives up on him easily since he is a leader and quality person. That said the youth might make him expendable especially if value comes back.  

How do you come to that number?

He had 2 before joining the Canucks (U20 and Abbotsford) and they've only reported 2.  McLeod and the Hyka hit.

19 minutes ago, mll said:

He had 2 before joining the Canucks (U20 and Abbotsford) and they've only reported 2.  McLeod and the Hyka hit.

Cannot say specifically, weren't they talking about it on HNIC? He had one last year and two this year. Maybe you could say it is only 1 this year and that it reoccurred. 

Just now, Boudrias said:

Cannot say specifically, weren't they talking about it on HNIC? He had one last year and two this year. Maybe you could say it is only 1 this year and that it reoccurred. 

They never announced one last season though.  He had the broken jaw and the shoulder injury.  

The McLeod concussion was in February 2017 - that was officially his 3rd one.  As for now Green said it's not a new concussion but post-concussion syndrome from the October one.

32 minutes ago, mll said:

I believe Baertschi himself said he's had several concussions in his career.  Don't remember the exact quote.  Not sure they all happened in the last couple years, more likely his entire career...

7 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

That would be fantastic.  Hopefully JB can win one move involving a past Bruin.  At least he didnt sign Lucic.  

It’s too bad about Schaller,  like Lucic, they “game” is passing him..   to be honest, I was all for Lucic,  but the back and forth speed of the game has even Eriksson hanging on by a thread.

I am enjoying this new evolution in the game, we are ahead of some teams in the change, .. but it’s amazing how Tampa has seemed to keep it on the fly.   Yzerman.  Full Credit.      Seattle next for him? 

Edited by SilentSam