The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

Just now, Borvat said:

I agree your version of a third line center isn't quite like mine or what appears to be the trend in the NHL.  

I just think that a team in transition with good young players earning/needing the experience and opportunity, challenged for offense while at the same time the veteran appears to be breaking down and that we may be able to recoup some of his value. That is my time line.  I have seen this rodeo before. Nothing against Sutter.

I am done and we won't change each others versions of what we see.   Have a good one.

It's not 'my version'. It's what the team presently requires based on personnel and time line.

'My version' on a more developed, deeper, playoff team is probably pretty damn close to 'your version'. We're simply not there yet.

Just now, aGENT said:

It's not 'my version'. It's what the team presently requires based on personnel and time line.

'My version' on a more developed, deeper, playoff team is probably pretty damn close to 'your version'. We're simply not there yet.

You only get battle hardened players ready for a playoff run by giving younger players opportunities to develop.  This is the time, not when you are in the window.  

44 minutes ago, Borvat said:

You only get battle hardened players ready for a playoff run by giving younger players opportunities to develop.  This is the time, not when you are in the window.  

Who says players aren't developing? (Oh right, our idiot media :lol:).

If you want to know what a Sutter-less Canucks looks like without the appropriate framework, you need look no further than our time without him this season. Massive losing streaks and scoring droughts.

No thanks IMO.

• Cheers 2

On 3/5/2019 at 7:49 PM, Borvat said:

Vegas did nothing like that.  You can pick up guys who are just at the fully developed stage and are ready for playoff runs.  The problem is, they aren't cheap.  As UFAs they cost cash and term, for RFAs they cost you really good prospects, similarly good players or draft picks.

That said, I'm happy to see us develop those players from within.  I don't think Gaudette is quite ready to fill Sutter's role, but he's not terribly far off.  The third line got owned in the first period against Vegas last night with Pearson being the most experienced player.  They looked much better the rest of the game - but some times that's what it takes to learn.  If we can get something good for Sutter, then great.  Otherwise, he's still one of the best defensive forwards in the game.  A bit redundant with Beagle around, but we're a better team when both of them are healthy.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...

Jim Benning must find a way to trade Sutter GP 26 -- Pt 6  ----- 

Gaudette does not get the ice time sutter gets...

Gaudette has way more offence then Sutter..

We have Beagle and Horvat to take key face-offs .....Can't keep soft Sutter and his 4.2 million dollar salary..

Don't tell me we need to keep him for his face-offs or defensive skills...We never missed him this season...

We are still 2 yrs away from playoffs...

Sutter contract has a 15 team list of team he will not play for...Some playoff team might take him for depth if Vancouver retain some of his 4.2 million dollar salary..

9 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Jim Benning must find a way to trade Sutter GP 26 -- Pt 6  ----- 

Gaudette does not get the ice time sutter gets...

Gaudette has way more offence then Sutter..

We have Beagle and Horvat to take key face-offs .....Can't keep soft Sutter and his 4.2 million dollar salary..

Don't tell me we need to keep him for his face-offs or defensive skills...We never missed him this season...

We are still 2 yrs away from playoffs...

Sutter contract has a 15 team list of team he will not play for...Some playoff team might take him for depth if Vancouver retain some of his 4.2 million dollar salary..

Gaudette's points-per-game this year is 0.22. Sutter's points per game this year is 0.23. The argument that Gaudette is some offensive phenom is fallacious.

I believe Gaudette has the potential to be solid offensively, but he's not there yet.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Gaudette's points-per-game this year is 0.22. Sutter's points per game this year is 0.23. The argument that Gaudette is some offensive phenom is fallacious.

I believe Gaudette has the potential to be solid offensively, but he's not there yet.

The extensive length of this injury to Sutter leans to him never being near “there” again.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

26 goals in the NCAA at 20 years old and winning the Hobey Baker Award at 21 tells me he has a high offensive upside.  Gaudette plays 13-15 minutes a night with almost no power play time.  He's a rookie still learning the game and probably should have spent the entire year in Utica.  But Sutter was injured almost the entire year and so Gaudette had to come up early while he was almost a point a game in Utica.  

I see Gaudette making a big leap forward next year.  Sutter really needs to go, I don't want him hanging around and taking minutes away from the kids.  I'd take a 3rd round pick for him at this point and even retain some salary.  Not sure too many teams will want him though, especially after this year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

26 goals in the NCAA at 20 years old and winning the Hobey Baker Award at 21 tells me he has a high offensive upside.  Gaudette plays 13-15 minutes a night with almost no power play time.  He's a rookie still learning the game and probably should have spent the entire year in Utica.  But Sutter was injured almost the entire year and so Gaudette had to come up early while he was almost a point a game in Utica.  

I see Gaudette making a big leap forward next year.  Sutter really needs to go, I don't want him hanging around and taking minutes away from the kids.  I'd take a 3rd round pick for him at this point and even retain some salary.  Not sure too many teams will want him though, especially after this year.

Nic Dowd was a Hobey Baker runner up.  Gaudette is not doing much on the ice other than skate really hard and run the clock.  It might be better for him to go to Utica and develop his game.  

Green made the comment that Gaunce can't go through shifts where opponents don't even know who he is and ended up demoting him.  Gaudette brings no offence and he's not used in a checking role.  He doesn't really have a role.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Nic Dowd was a Hobey Baker runner up.  Gaudette s not doing much on the ice other than skate really hard and run the clock.  It might be better for him to go to Utica and develop his game.  

Nic Dowd had 5 goals as a 20 year old, Gaudette 26.  Dowd 11 as a 21 year old, Gaudette 30.  And Dowd was a runner up for the Hobey Baker Award at age 24, Gaudette won it at age 21.  The two are not even in the same stratosphere.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree that Gaudette has shown offensive upside, but he hasn't shown it yet in the NHL. You're right in that he's had fairly limited minutes, so it's possible we'd see a slight bump with more minutes.

While I wouldn't be crushed to see Sutter go, I wouldn't agree that he needs to go. I think he's a great influence on our young kids and is a very hard worker on the ice. His injury problems are a pain though (pun intended). I'd take a decent offer for him, but I wouldn't go selling so low on him. I'd rather see him start next year strong again and trade him at the deadline to a contender once he's increased his value again. Sutter is the exact kind of player contenders need to go all the way. Just ask Washington and Jay Beagle.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I agree that Gaudette has shown offensive upside, but he hasn't shown it yet in the NHL. You're right in that he's had fairly limited minutes, so it's possible we'd see a slight bump with more minutes.

While I wouldn't be crushed to see Sutter go, I wouldn't agree that he needs to go. I think he's a great influence on our young kids and is a very hard worker on the ice. His injury problems are a pain though (pun intended). I'd take a decent offer for him, but I wouldn't go selling so low on him. I'd rather see him start next year strong again and trade him at the deadline to a contender once he's increased his value again. Sutter is the exact kind of player contenders need to go all the way. Just ask Washington and Jay Beagle.

I think the kids will be alright without Sutter, just as they've been alright without the Sedins.  It's time they made BO the official captain next year and get rid of the deadweight.  This team needs to take the next step.  Sutter is just in the way of other player's development, specifically Gaudette.  If Sutter hangs around next year that means Gaudette is sent to Utica which I wouldn't want to happen.  He's 22 going on 23, he'll be ready for permanent 3rd line duty next year.

As for the Beagle comparison I'm not sure I'd go that far.  Beagle is a warrior, Sutter is not.  Also Beagle was Washington's 4th line centre so he wasn't taking up a 3rd line role which is perfect for him.  The Canucks acquired Beagle for the same purpose Washington had him, so Sutter is redundant at this point.  Beagle and BO can take all the important draws and kill penalties, Petey is our franchise centre who will dominate on the PP and Gaudette is our 3rd line energy guy who can put up some points.  No room for Sutter anymore, the kids have been alright without him and will be fine next year as well.  Trade him to a contender, retain some salary, whatever you have to do.  I'd rather use that $4.3 million in cap space to acquire a top 6 winger.

• Upvote 1

beagle was brought in so that he and sutts could kill penalties, so that bo didn’t have to. i too believe he should play here next year and go at the trade deadline. what if one of our centres is hurt and out a chunk of time. sutts can play rw on gaud’s line or visa versa. 

there are lots of questions on the forwards and defense. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Sutter hangs around next year that means Gaudette is sent to Utica which I wouldn't want to happen.  

Not necessarily.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

beagle was brought in so that he and sutts could kill penalties, so that bo didn’t have to. i too believe he should play here next year and go at the trade deadline. what if one of our centres is hurt and out a chunk of time. sutts can play rw on gaud’s line or visa versa. 

While I'm certainly not opposed to moving him this summer (particularly if he's packaged to get the top 6 LW or RD we need), this is what I see as likely as well.

He could easily play RW on Horvat's line (option for right side draws), Gaudette's wing or Beagle's wing (Roussel, Beagle, Sutter would be one of the best shut down/match up lines in the league). And training him gives us loads of C/injury insulation.

Let him play, hopefully stay healthy and increase his trade value. Move toward the TDL.

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

Are you referring to Sutter?  ^_^

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Not necessarily.

While I'm certainly not opposed to moving him this summer (particularly if he's packaged to get the top 6 LW or RD we need), this is what I see as likely as well.

He could easily play RW on Horvat's line (option for right side draws), Gaudette's wing or Beagle's wing (Roussel, Beagle, Sutter would be one of the best shut down/match up lines in the league). And training him gives us loads of C/injury insulation.

Let him play, hopefully stay healthy and increase his trade value. Move toward the TDL.

Yes because it is all about asset management really...  :P