The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

with some quality wingers and some d that can actually pass, I don't see why why a healthy Sutter doesn't hit 15 goals again. 

You wouldn't think it the way that so many label him as an "offensive black hole", but prior to last year's disaster, Sutter was on pace for 17- and 15-goal seasons with the Canucks in his first two complete seasons with Vancouver.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I've been saying all along there was a chance Sutter gets back on track.  He's not young but isn't exactly old either. He may not be washed up yet.

A healthy Sutter along with wingers who are fringe or true 2nd liners like Pearson/Baer/Jake and there is a real chance of our 3rd line being dangerous along with defensively responsible.

Amazing what depth does for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 9:59 PM, -AJ- said:

You wouldn't think it the way that so many label him as an "offensive black hole", but prior to last year's disaster, Sutter was on pace for 17- and 15-goal seasons with the Canucks in his first two complete seasons with Vancouver.

Many fans don't want actual facts to mess up their current ire with a guy who made a mistake in the most recent game.  Your logic is just confusing for their righteous indignation.

21 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Many fans don't want actual facts to mess up their current ire with a guy who made a mistake in the most recent game.  Your logic is just confusing for their righteous indignation.

He's been pretty bad apart from one season here, and he's quite overpaid.  Nothing wrong with calling like it is.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2019 at 2:01 PM, kloubek said:

I've been saying all along there was a chance Sutter gets back on track.  He's not young but isn't exactly old either. He may not be washed up yet.

A healthy Sutter along with wingers who are fringe or true 2nd liners like Pearson/Baer/Jake and there is a real chance of our 3rd line being dangerous along with defensively responsible.

Amazing what depth does for you.

The whole team is going to take a few games to come up to speed.  Boseser and Ferland didn't have much play in the pre-season and the final line up didn't play a lot together.  I criticize Green for not setting the line up earlier (2 full games would have been fine).  They will get over it.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The whole team is going to take a few games to come up to speed.  Boseser and Ferland didn't have much play in the pre-season and the final line up didn't play a lot together.  I criticize Green for not setting the line up earlier (2 full games would have been fine).  They will get over it.

righto

and exactly how was green supposed to do that?

brock was out for the balance of the preseason due to concussion protocol

and if he did do what you say you wish to see and someone was injured

you'd likely be on here dissing for green risking player health for meaningless preseason games

explain how green can look good ???

with details please

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Yes, pre-season games aren't used the way they used to be.  Used to be it was where you got used to line-mates, got the last of your conditioning in place.  Now they have the conditioning down like an art, but no idea what's happening for line-mates. Using it as a chance to audition players and then the use of 2 teams: I wonder if it is really worth doing anymore (10 guys playing that everyone knows are not making the team, nuts imo.)  Of course some teams don't even play their McDavids, so that can't help but create some issues for their prospective winners.

Did you see the contrast between Pearson in a game that mattered vs. Pearson in pre-season?  Lol, different guy entirely.  He must have had 10 shots on net the other night against Edmonton.  

Sutter was and Is a down grade from bonino. 

Aside from eating some minutes and being an average third liner at best, who’s been on a steady decline since he got here weather it’s the injury excuse or he just was billed and paid as something he never was or will be. 

It’s time to move  on from the failures schaller LE and sutter. 

Sutter was a total disaster against the coilers maybe he should call out his team mates in the media again........leader.BS (Brandon Sutter) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, combover said:

Sutter was and Is a down grade from bonino. 

Aside from eating some minutes and being an average third liner at best, who’s been on a steady decline since he got here weather it’s the injury excuse or he just was billed and paid as something he never was or will be. 

It’s time to move  on from the failures schaller LE and sutter. 

Sutter was a total disaster against the coilers maybe he should call out his team mates in the media again........leader.BS (Brandon Sutter) 

I agree that it’s time for Hockey Gaud to take that third line centre role.  What in the heck do we do with Sutter though?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree that it’s time for Hockey Gaud to take that third line centre role.  What in the heck do we do with Sutter though?  

Needs to be moved along, if there’s no trades the waive him. Higgins got a far worse treatment when they flat out sent him home. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, coastal.view said:

righto

and exactly how was green supposed to do that?

brock was out for the balance of the preseason due to concussion protocol

and if he did do what you say you wish to see and someone was injured

you'd likely be on here dissing for green risking player health for meaningless preseason games

explain how green can look good ???

with details please

Right, my statement was not worded in the best way.  Obviously, Boeser and Fantenberg were in concussion protocol, but here is the line up from the last preseason game vs Arizona on Sept 26 followed by the line up from the season opener Oct 2.  Clearly the line up was not set by the end of the pre-season.  There were 6 missing players not including Boeser: Horvat, Pearson, Miller, Sutter, Benn and Stecher.  

There are pro's to Greens approach, like giving certain players as much of a chance as possible but the trade off is that the team will be a little rough for the first few games.  I would rather see the team ready to go for game 1 and having played 2 games without players like Graovac, MacEwen, Briesbois and Chatfield who didn't have a snowballs chance of making the team.  Baer, Gaudette and Goldy maybe because they had a realistic chance.

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Right, my statement was not worded in the best way.  Obviously, Boeser and Fantenberg were in concussion protocol, but here is the line up from the last preseason game vs Arizona on Sept 26 followed by the line up from the season opener Oct 2.  Clearly the line up was not set by the end of the pre-season.  There were 6 missing players not including Boeser: Horvat, Pearson, Miller, Sutter, Benn and Stecher.  

There are pro's to Greens approach, like giving certain players as much of a chance as possible but the trade off is that the team will be a little rough for the first few games.  I would rather see the team ready to go for game 1 and having played 2 games without players like Graovac, MacEwen, Briesbois and Chatfield who didn't have a snowballs chance of making the team.  Baer, Gaudette and Goldy maybe because they had a realistic chance.

and if players had been injured as a result of your suggested deployment

what do you say about that ????

it's a cost of doing business?

even though it is counter productive to you wanting a full line up fully ready to play for game 1 ??

how is green supposed to reconcile these 2 competing realities?

there is no satisfactory strategy to resolve these

as it is a bit of a catch 22

so is it really fair to criticize green in the manner you do ?

Edited by coastal.view