The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

Brandon Sutter is not Jannick Hansen. He is not a modern play driving forward, but instead a traditional matchup forward with a good shot. Does he make the Canucks worse compared to any of the other players we have? No. He's in the top 4 best C's we have by a long shot at putting the puck in the net. If our goal is to just have good Shot stats Gaunce is far better at controlling shot attempts. Just look at his Hero chart:

Screenshot 2016-12-21 00.32.35.png

Screenshot 2016-12-21 00.34.22.png

Screenshot 2016-12-21 00.38.18.png

35 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Goals and assists, mostly. Traditional stats. His current pace has him scoring more than 20 goals and 40 points. Pretty good considering a) his usage, and b ) it's not a very good team.

Well it depends how you look at it. He's got a lot of playing time this year (much more than in the past). So he's goals per 60 minutes isn't that great (0.67) and add in that his shooting percentage is above career average it kind of undermines those traditional stats. As far as context (usage) goes I think the article does a pretty good job at showing that he is under-performing his usage.

I don't think he is our worst center, but he might be our worst center when adjusting for cap hit.  

12 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Brandon Sutter is not Jannick Hansen. He is not a modern play driving forward, but instead a traditional matchup forward with a good shot. Does he make the Canucks worse compared to any of the other players we have? No. He's in the top 4 best C's we have by a long shot at putting the puck in the net. If our goal is to just have good Shot stats Gaunce is far better at controlling shot attempts. Just look at his Hero chart:

Screenshot 2016-12-21 00.32.35.png

Screenshot 2016-12-21 00.34.22.png

Screenshot 2016-12-21 00.38.18.png

Am I reading this correctly?

In the view of the stat geeks and nerds who discount convention "counting stats" for "fancy stats" Brendan Guance in his small sample size is playing at a top six level and is the Canucks third best center after Sedin and Horvat?

Certainly doesn't pass the eye test....

3 minutes ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

According to Pro Hockey Rumours, the average cost per point in the NHL is about $100,000 per point.  This is almost exactly where Brandon Sutter is expected to land as well. Plus Brandon plays on the PK which makes him a more well rounded player.

http://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2016/07/point-value-deals.html

How does Horvat stack up in the fancy stats in comparison?

2 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

Well it depends how you look at it. He's got a lot of playing time this year (much more than in the past). So he's goals per 60 minutes isn't that great (0.67) and add in that his shooting percentage is above career average it kind of undermines those traditional stats. As far as context (usage) goes I think the article does a pretty good job at showing that he is under-performing his usage.

I don't think he is our worst center, but he might be our worst center when adjusting for cap hit.  

Personally I don't have a huge issue with his cap hit. Compared to somebody like Kruger or Cizikas I think it's fair- maybe a little on the higher end, but not outrageously bad and certainly not immovable at some point down the road (should they decide to look into that).

47 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Personally I don't have a huge issue with his cap hit. Compared to somebody like Kruger or Cizikas I think it's fair- maybe a little on the higher end, but not outrageously bad and certainly not immovable at some point down the road (should they decide to look into that).

Does .Sutter have a No Movement Clause?  JB said he's not asking guys, so if a guy does get shopped at all, it would appear like the guy is quitting on his teammates, no?  

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Problem is, we got enough of these "oh he might be a bit overpaid, but there are worse contracts in the league" type of deals on the team.

14 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

How does Horvat stack up in the fancy stats in comparison?

Bo is more of a high event hockey player, lots of shots ad goals happen while he's on the ice. Scores like a second liner, controls shot attempts like a 4th liner.

Screenshot 2016-12-21 15.44.10.png

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

Bo is more of a high event hockey player, lots of shots ad goals happen while he's on the ice. Scores like a second liner, controls shot attempts like a 4th liner.

Screenshot 2016-12-21 15.44.10.png

And we expect JB and Willie D (two prairie farmers) to understand these charts?  :lol:

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Goals and assists, mostly. Traditional stats. His current pace has him scoring more than 20 goals and 40 points. Pretty good considering a) his usage, and b ) it's not a very good team.

Sutter is versatile -- can play wing or centre, up and down the lineup, excellent skater, good on face-offs, can play the PP, and is an elite PKer plus putting up 0.5+ppg.  Very good shot and below-average passer, but what more can be asked for?  These kind of guys are invaluable, especially with the way we get hit with injuries.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Sutter is versatile -- can play wing or centre, up and down the lineup, excellent skater, good on face-offs, can play the PP, and is an elite PKer plus putting up 0.5+ppg.  Very good shot and below-average passer, but what more can be asked for?  These kind of guys are invaluable, especially with the way we get hit with injuries.

So what's he worth if we trade him?  It's almost Christmas, and we need a shiny new bobble.

How about straight across for Mmmmmatt Duuuuchene?  :towel:

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Troll bait rejected.

You don't think Sutter is worth Duchene?  Considering the Hall trade, Alf thinks it's a deal about the same.  The 1040 guys (Trolls) were talking about Colorado blowing up their current roster.  Why couldn't we nab Duchene?

Edited by Alflives

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Does .Sutter have a No Movement Clause?  JB said he's not asking guys, so if a guy does get shopped at all, it would appear like the guy is quitting on his teammates, no?  

A NTC for this year and the two years following. After that, it turns into a modified NTC.