The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

On 4/11/2017 at 1:23 AM, NaveJoseph said:

If we draft a center (which is very likely), we could have Sutter play RW and take face offs for them. That'd be a great way to shelter them.
Or, we could have great center depth through all four lines. 

Trev only did that when they were grooming him to be a center, after his first two years he was full on center and had the 40-50 assists to prove it

I'm still not sure Sutter understands assists count in your scoring totals too,

But I'm ALL for moving him to wing, as a 20 goal winger I'm ok with him, but he doesn't know how to distribute the puck, having a guy like that play center for you is a killer, it chokes your offensive game

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

Agreed. Not sure why people are so down on Suttsy. He's solid. 

I agree.   Great 2 way player.  Plays the game hard.  One of the few F's that can actually shoot the puck.  Get someone better than Megna with him so he doesnt have to carry the line on his own and he can definitely be a reliable 20 goal scorer.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

I really think third line should be Granlund Sutter and Eriksson  unless they put Eriksson on the LW  where he plays better with Bo and Boesser

Sutter is not a play making center.  Neither is Bo really.  We need a play making center to take over from Henrik.  Sutter would be perfect as our number three center for sure.

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

actually you need players that play together no matter if they are playmakers or not,   that really does not matter as  most of our wingers are playmakers or two way players

We have play making wingers?  Daniel, yes, but he's done soon.  

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sutter has such little intrigue on this message board that this thread is only on page 7.  So sad......here's hoping Green grinds his gears to get him going.  I'm also hoping Sutter looks in the rear view mirror and sees the talent coming up behind him.  Pride and not having his contract bought out should be incentive enough.

11 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Sutter has such little intrigue on this message board that this thread is only on page 7.  So sad......here's hoping Green grinds his gears to get him going.  I'm also hoping Sutter looks in the rear view mirror and sees the talent coming up behind him.  Pride and not having his contract bought out should be incentive enough.

One of the hardest workers, playing the hardest minutes against tough competition and still putting up 35+/- points just needs to keep doing what he's doing.

He may not be a 'sexy' forward but he's one of the cornerstones of this team. Make no mistake.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I noticed that he was wearing the 'A' on Saturday. I wonder if that's a permanent thing or if it's just rotating like last year. I expected them to give it to Bo full time this year.

I am so mad lol I hope it's just rotation. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A description of Sutter's role this season and how much he helps the Canucks.  

By Ed Willes in the Province: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/monday-musings-brandon-sutter-blossoming-under-the-tutelage-of-travis-green

Before this season, Travis Green sat down with Brandon Sutter and outlined the role he envisioned for the Canucks’ centre. He would not play on the power play. He would not play on the wing. He would not be expected to drive an offensive line one night and a checking line the next.

Willie Desjardins had tried all that last season. Suffice to say Sutter’s play was as confused as his job description.

But this year the new coach simplified things for the the 28-year-old centre, telling him he’d be matched against the other team’s top centre on a nightly basis and expected to shut them down while contributing offensively.

“It’s not an easy job,” Green says.

But it’s one Sutter has embraced. It’s just 11 games in but the play of the former Red Deer Rebel has been one of the most important and under-appreciated aspects of the Canucks’ encouraging start. Sutter and linemates Derek Dorsett and Markus Granlund have not only formed a line which can neutralize the NHL’s best, they get theirs in the attacking end. All three are plus-players. Dorsett, who’s never scored more than 12 goals in 10 NHL seasons, leads the team with six.

But Sutter has been the key. A polarizing figure last season when he was all over the lineup, he’s thrived under Green’s direction.

“He said this is the kind of player I think you are and I pretty much agreed with him,” Sutter said before Monday’s game with Dallas. “I think we have an understanding of what’s to be expected. It’s a role I like to play and it’s something I’m comfortable with.

“When you have that clarity and know what your role is you can really excel in it.”

Evidently.

Sutter excelled again in the 2-1 overtime loss to the Stars. Playing just over 20 minutes, his line shut down the red hot Tyler Seguin, Jamie Benn, Alexander Radulov trio in five-on-five play, while producing nine shots and at least three four clear scoring chances on standout Stars goalie Ben Bishop.

Seguin did score a power play goal and Radulov notched the game-winner in OT. Sutter also won 74 per cent of his face-offs.

Benn, meanwhile, didn’t see the ice in overtime.

“When we say shutdown roll, it doesn’t mean you are just out there killing penalties while playing five-on-five,” Green said. “It means you are trying to make the other team play in their own zone, deny scoring chances and create chances as well.

“Hopefully (Sutter’s line can) deny the other team’s top guys, which is a tall order to ask.”

The real test, of course will come when the Canucks encounter the inevitable turbulence which is part of an 82-game schedule. But this coach has been able to draw something out of this team and drawn the best out of Sutter.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, mll said:

A description of Sutter's role this season and how much he helps the Canucks.  

By Ed Willes in the Province: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/monday-musings-brandon-sutter-blossoming-under-the-tutelage-of-travis-green

Sutter has been enormously effective in this young season. I would say that he's one of the most underrated players on the team.

Green's guidance and clarity of communication is huge and a major factor in the change of playing style for the team.