StealthNuck

Jake Virtanen | #18 | Right Wing

1,788 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Watching that goal, I understand people don't like comparables but David Booth, pre concussion is a guy who he looks like a clone of. 

 

I know that Booth kind of left a sour taste in people's mouths, but in Florida he was arguably one of the faster players in the league, could just destroy guys,

and was a straight line North - South player, who would have been a consistant 40 - 60 point man, 30 goal scorer. Creativity was his weakness as it looks like 

it is with Jake and that's okay.

A good player for Virtanen to watch and learn from is Crosby -- maybe even McDavid.  Both are players that have blazing speed (especially McD, of course) who get more assists than goals.  He can make great passes, but I think his bread and butter up to this point has been the north-south power game.  Better passing and a willingness to draw penalties rather than take them: this would put in the elite end of the game.  He needs more patience and maturity.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Could the two young guys staying have been about selling tickets?  I remember seeing on Canuck's TV a piece where Bo welcomes McCann and Virtanen to the team in the locker room.  

Although I made the point a few months ago that decision pumped McCanns value in trade higher than it would have otherwise been

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nzan said:

Although I made the point a few months ago that decision pumped McCanns value in trade higher than it would have otherwise been

Maybe a smart man ve by JB then.  Do you believe that was JB's plan all along?  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More then anything Jake wants to get laid and no one gets laid more then a good looking young professional hockey player. That is what he has to stride for

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BananaMash said:

The way they handled both Virtanen and McCann last year was disappointing. It was pretty evident after about 2 months that neither was ready, they should've been sent back to junior regardless of burning a year off the ELC with 9+ games.

Yeah he should have been with Green except for the rules forcing him back to juniors.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hatedkid666 said:

More then anything Jake wants to get laid and no one gets laid more then a good looking young professional hockey player. That is what he has to stride for

The Comets are probably a bigger deal in Utica than the Canucks are in Vancouver. I doubt if he has any shortage of puck bunnies where he is. Returning to Vancouver would just give him a somewhat better selection to choose from.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

The Comets are probably a bigger deal in Utica than the Canucks are in Vancouver. I doubt if he has any shortage of puck bunnies where he is. Returning to Vancouver would just give him a somewhat better selection to choose from.

The kid has probably tore apart Utica which is why he is starting to play better

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Uhh

 

I call it living vicariously through a hockey player.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe a smart man ve by JB then.  Do you believe that was JB's plan all along?  

Specifically, no of course not.

I think he has an overarching plan and things can arise and grow in accordance to that plan 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2017 at 7:46 PM, Toews said:

Why is that? Chaput has more points in 10 games with Utica than Jake has in 42. The last time Megna was in the AHL he was a ppg player. Gaunce went down to the AHL and scored more points in a weekend than Jake had in the last month or so. Those guys are experienced pros as well, they stay in shape, they work hard and they do what is asked of them despite their limited skillset. Jake has better tools than them but until he learns how to use them he is well behind even AHL lifers like Chaput.

absolute beauty post, +1

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nzan said:

Specifically, no of course not.

I think he has an overarching plan and things can arise and grow in accordance to that plan 

Given Jim Benning's personal history, as a player promoted to the NHL at 18, before he was ready, I was always puzzled by his promoting Virtanen and McCann as teenagers.  

 

Virtanen was physically able to handle the jump but in hindsight, he wasn't mature enough mentally.  McCann was full of piss and vinegar but was a bit light for the NHL.  He had the IQ to do it but not the physical strength.

 

Now this came the year after Bo Horvat's successful introduction to the NHL at 19.  Even he may have benefited from another year  before coming to the NHL but you could argue he wasn't challenged enough in junior and he wasn't eligible for the AHL.

 

So there has been speculation as to why this all happened.  I haven't heard any good explanation from an inside or reliable source.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Given Jim Benning's personal history, as a player promoted to the NHL at 18, before he was ready, I was always puzzled by his promoting Virtanen and McCann as teenagers.  

 

Virtanen was physically able to handle the jump but in hindsight, he wasn't mature enough mentally.  McCann was full of piss and vinegar but was a bit light for the NHL.  He had the IQ to do it but not the physical strength.

 

Now this came the year after Bo Horvat's successful introduction to the NHL at 19.  Even he may have benefited from another year  before coming to the NHL but you could argue he wasn't challenged enough in junior and he wasn't eligible for the AHL.

 

So there has been speculation as to why this all happened.  I haven't heard any good explanation from an inside or reliable source.

I have always believed it was pressure from the marketing dept to bring in a salable commodity to sell tickets and merchandise.

 

Sounds pretty bad, I know. I'd like to be wrong about it, but I don't think the hockey people really believed they were ready for prime time. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What has this thread come to.

 

Why in the blue hell are we talking about Jake and getting laid.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Given Jim Benning's personal history, as a player promoted to the NHL at 18, before he was ready, I was always puzzled by his promoting Virtanen and McCann as teenagers.  

 

Virtanen was physically able to handle the jump but in hindsight, he wasn't mature enough mentally.  McCann was full of piss and vinegar but was a bit light for the NHL.  He had the IQ to do it but not the physical strength.

 

Now this came the year after Bo Horvat's successful introduction to the NHL at 19.  Even he may have benefited from another year  before coming to the NHL but you could argue he wasn't challenged enough in junior and he wasn't eligible for the AHL.

 

So there has been speculation as to why this all happened.  I haven't heard any good explanation from an inside or reliable source.

To me it was always about giving the fan base something to be excited about.

It was the only thing that excited me about that year.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Given Jim Benning's personal history, as a player promoted to the NHL at 18, before he was ready, I was always puzzled by his promoting Virtanen and McCann as teenagers.  

 

Virtanen was physically able to handle the jump but in hindsight, he wasn't mature enough mentally.  McCann was full of piss and vinegar but was a bit light for the NHL.  He had the IQ to do it but not the physical strength.

 

Now this came the year after Bo Horvat's successful introduction to the NHL at 19.  Even he may have benefited from another year  before coming to the NHL but you could argue he wasn't challenged enough in junior and he wasn't eligible for the AHL.

 

So there has been speculation as to why this all happened.  I haven't heard any good explanation from an inside or reliable source.

Pretty much agree with you,  but to me there's no speculation - it was Aquaman who made the call to keep the kids in Vancouver.   Admittedly there's no proof of this nor will there ever likely be but it's a move that in its own way mimics the Linden hiring - Local legend/local kid brought in to draw interest in a team flailing on and off the ice ect....

 

6 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I have always believed it was pressure from the marketing dept to bring in a salable commodity to sell tickets and merchandise.

 

Sounds pretty bad, I know. I'd like to be wrong about it, but I don't think the hockey people really believed they were ready for prime time. 

I think your right,  but switch that theory from 'marketing dept' to ownership and you're bang on imo. 

 

All this aside,  Jake's playing where he belongs at the moment fortunately and being mentored by a pretty knowledgeable coach who's giving him the awareness/skills/experience he would never been able to get while being a 4th liner/healthy scratch in Vancouver. 

 

Now let's just hope Utica can get into the post season. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Pretty much agree with you,  but to me there's no speculation - it was Aquaman who made the call to keep the kids in Vancouver.   Admittedly there's no proof of this nor will there ever likely be but it's a move that in its own way mimics the Linden hiring - Local legend/local kid brought in to draw interest in a team flailing on and off the ice ect....

 

I think your right,  but switch that theory from 'marketing dept' to ownership and you're bang on imo. 

 

All this aside,  Jake's playing where he belongs at the moment fortunately and being mentored by a pretty knowledgeable coach who's giving him the awareness/skills/experience he would never been able to get while being a 4th liner/healthy scratch in Vancouver. 

 

Now let's just hope Utica can get into the post season. 

So if there is no proof or Aquilini meddling, how is it anything other than speculation?

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So if there is no proof or Aquilini meddling, how is it anything other than speculation?

spec·u·la·tion
ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n/
noun
 
  1. 1.
    the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

What has this thread come to.

 

Why in the blue hell are we talking about Jake and getting laid.

CDC can't rip on him for being a bust anymore since he started improving the last few weeks so yenno gotta find something else to talk about with our prospects.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So if there is no proof or Aquilini meddling, how is it anything other than speculation?

Just for clarification then,  there's no speculation in my own mind. I can't/don't speak for others and hold no ill feelings if their opinion differs.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.