The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Biega | #55 | D

-SN-

I cant see Biega getting many games this year. IMO hes going to drop quite a few spots down the depth chart. 

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Hamhuis/Sbisa Tryamkin

Pedan

Larson

Stecher

Subban

Biega

I like Biega he plays a hard game and he has worked his hole off for that 1 eay contract. Im happy for him, hopefully he gets a few games in.

On 5/30/2016 at 0:21 AM, McHortanen said:

I cant see Biega getting many games this year. IMO hes going to drop quite a few spots down the depth chart. 

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Hamhuis/Sbisa Tryamkin

Pedan

Larson

Stecher

Subban

Biega

I like Biega he plays a hard game and he has worked his hole off for that 1 eay contract. Im happy for him, hopefully he gets a few games in.

It'll be easier to say after things shake down through training camp, but I'm sure Biega will get some NHL games.  Even if he's behind some already in Utica on the depth chart, he may be the one called if the Canucks need a defenseman for a single game.

On June 1, 2016 at 9:38 PM, Wilbur said:

It'll be easier to say after things shake down through training camp, but I'm sure Biega will get some NHL games.  Even if he's behind some already in Utica on the depth chart, he may be the one called if the Canucks need a defenseman for a single game.

Id definitely love to see a battle between him and Larsen for that 4th RH D spot, assuming the Canucks carry 8 with 4 on each side for balance:

Tanev

TBD (but, I'm hoping for Demers)

Gudbranson

Biega or Larsen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So there was this theory that Biega would get 19 games to make him elligible for the expansion draft. As we near the 1/4 pole he has played 1 game as a forward. At this point Biega needs to play 2 of every 7 games to reach 19 on the season.

1. Does he make it?

2. Does management care?
3. Was this ever actually the plan?

4. Do they wait until 25 games remain and hope he doesn't get injured with 8 to go?

4a. ^^ If so to they list him in the line up and throw his jersey on the ice for one shift per game?

On 11/21/2016 at 7:51 PM, lmm said:

So there was this theory that Biega would get 19 games to make him elligible for the expansion draft. As we near the 1/4 pole he has played 1 game as a forward. At this point Biega needs to play 2 of every 7 games to reach 19 on the season.

1. Does he make it?

2. Does management care?
3. Was this ever actually the plan?

4. Do they wait until 25 games remain and hope he doesn't get injured with 8 to go?

4a. ^^ If so to they list him in the line up and throw his jersey on the ice for one shift per game?

I'm starting to think that management is banking on other teams having more appealing players. As one of the worst teams, we're technically at some of the best odds of keeping our entire roster.

• Upvote 1

When Tan-man returns, wouldn't surprise me if a bottom-few of the D-lineup(say, Hutt, Stech, Tram) alternate with Biegs for a few wks. Keep everyone fresh for the 2nd half.

Then if we get a good offer(incl Sbisa in some package; or even for cap balance) we can entertain that option.

Confucious insisted that "a patient bulldog is an ace up one's sleeve."

3 hours ago, ajhockey said:

I'm starting to think that management is banking on other teams having more appealing players. As one of the worst teams, we're technically at some of the best odds of keeping out entire roster.

I don't think it works that way. This is a rare 1 team draft, but I believe every team loses 1 player. I suppose LV could draft a free agent, then not sign him.

It will be weird because with only one team the draft order means nothing, LV can pretty much make a list and submit it, they will never lose a play to an other team. 

I think Nashville was the only other team to come in by them selves, all other expansions included at least 2 teams. Nashville was pretty good off the hop.

I kind of think Benning is planning on Biega getting his 19 games, but it is looking like he may not.

24 minutes ago, lmm said:

I don't think it works that way. This is a rare 1 team draft, but I believe every team loses 1 player. I suppose LV could draft a free agent, then not sign him.

It will be weird because with only one team the draft order means nothing, LV can pretty much make a list and submit it, they will never lose a play to an other team. 

I think Nashville was the only other team to come in by them selves, all other expansions included at least 2 teams. Nashville was pretty good off the hop.

I kind of think Benning is planning on Biega getting his 19 games, but it is looking like he may not.

I haven't looked closely at the rules, but I don't think LV is restricted to that degree. I believe there is a limit to how many players one team can lose, but I don't think every team needs to lose a player.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally the bulldog will be released...hopefully.

I love Alex because no matter how long he has sat out, he comes in like a dog to a bone.  I remember going to a game with a friend last year against San Jose, and Alex was just hounding each forward on the boards.  I like his board play much similar to Stecher's because he is so aggressive, he makes life pretty tough for his opposition.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that Biega doesn't seem to get any respect? Every time he's come in he's always acquitted himself well, and this latest streak is no exception. He's certainly performed better than some of the "regulars" around him. It's just weird how it happens with some players. Just like the Sedins, they've never been shown the respect they have undoubtedly earned throughout their careers.

14 hours ago, ynwa said:

Why is it that Biega doesn't seem to get any respect? Every time he's come in he's always acquitted himself well, and this latest streak is no exception. He's certainly performed better than some of the "regulars" around him. It's just weird how it happens with some players. Just like the Sedins, they've never been shown the respect they have undoubtedly earned throughout their careers.

I am a Biega fan but IMO he is not outplaying any of the other d-men. He does get beaten on the boards but never hesitates in playing the physical game. You have to admire that. Great skater as well. I see him as the exposed d-man after Tanev is traded and Sbisa protected.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am a Biega fan but IMO he is not outplaying any of the other d-men. He does get beaten on the boards but never hesitates in playing the physical game. You have to admire that. Great skater as well. I see him as the exposed d-man after Tanev is traded and Sbisa protected.

I don't think he's gonna get enough games in, unless he already has enough and I just don't know the rules well.

I'd agree that Biega isn't particularly outplaying anyone. In generally sheltered minutes, he is surprisingly capable and physical, but against stars (like Wheeler), he struggles more. He's a serviceable 6/7 defenseman for sure and plays that role very well.