The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Biega | #55 | D

-SN-

On 3/9/2018 at 3:25 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Good. We get some of Bulldog's energy tonight.

Biega is +2 on the season

96 Hits in 31 games

3.09 hits a game for those stat trackers. 

Quick maffs.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great article on the upbringing of everyone's favorite bulldog:

"VANCOUVER — To win hockey games, Alex Biega would fight if he had to. He would battle and bleed and leave the rink with bruises or a broken tooth.

Then he’d go home for dinner and his mom would survey the damage and wonder how her sons could do this to each other. Then the four Biega boys would eat angry and return at night for a rematch on the frozen lake or the outdoor rink near their home in the Montreal suburb of Pointe-Claire.

“It was always a bloodbath,” Alex, 29, says of growing up on the ice in Montreal, where Rogers Hometown Hockey makes a stop this weekend. “There’d be a fight and someone would come home without a tooth or something. We’d be pissed off [with each other] and guys would be bleeding, but it’s pretty funny looking back at it.

“We were best friends back then and best friends now. Those little, small games playing on the outdoor rink meant nothing. But to us, in that moment, they were everything. You wanted to win. That combativeness is definitely attributed a lot to my brothers. I think sometimes hockey would have been a lot different if I didn’t have my brothers there pushing me.”

Mike, Danny and Marc Biega pushed their “big” brother Alex, all five-foot-10 of him, right to the National Hockey League."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-defenceman-alex-biegas-brothers-pushed-nhl/

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is it time to put an A  on Biega ? 

Biega plays with more passion and commitment than any other Canuck.

He is the kind of warrior that leads by example.....  I say stick an A on Biega this year.

I'm not a fan of having the A on a guy who doesn't play consistently enough to hold down a full-time spot. Biega plays his heart out for five games and then goes cold until he's scratched, after which he'll play his heart out again. He had his moments, but he's certainly not hot every game.

But more to your point, I think Biega is best suited to be one of those "unofficial" leaders of the team. He's definitely experienced enough at this point to be a role model for some of our kids.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Has anyone watched him perform in the 4th RW role? Did he do OK as a forward? Just really curious if he's capable of that utility role, taking away that 14th forward spot.

mmm from my opinion, i thought he wasnt super great, rather have him on D, i think thats where he's the best.

Edited by TNucks1

8 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Has anyone watched him perform in the 4th RW role? Did he do OK as a forward? Just really curious if he's capable of that utility role, taking away that 14th forward spot.

7 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

mmm from my opinion, i thought he wasnt super great, rather have him on D, i think thats where he's the best.

The thing I like about him is he can play in both roles.  That's what makes him Valuable to the team.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

The thing I like about him is he can play in both roles.  That's what makes him Valuable to the team.

Biega is a smart guy.  He figured a role that suits his abilities, which will keep him earning an NHL paycheque.  He can be the extra guy, who sits in the press-box, that is ready to step in, and plays hard.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Biega is a smart guy.  He figured a role that suits his abilities, which will keep him earning an NHL paycheque.  He can be the extra guy, who sits in the press-box, that is ready to step in, and plays hard.  

So... are u excited to see a 4th line with Schaller - Beagle - Biega??

35 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If Hutton played with the heart, energy and adaptability that Biega has, he'd be a lock on the D.  Right now, it's looking like it may be time for Ben to move on.

Right now?  Looks like Hutton has been ready to move on for at least a full year - maybe two.  He MUST show something early this season or I just don't see him given any ice time.

• 3 weeks later...

Time to waive Biega, free up a forward spot this season! We got so many decent forwards and we shouldn't kill the depth by losing Leipsic or Goldobin. I get that Biega works his butt off but Pouliot will be just fine as the lone extra D-man. It serves the team better having more flexibility to rotate  couple forwards depending on the opponents, I.e. size/grit vs speed/skill.