The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Biega | #55 | D

-SN-

37 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

he is the 8th defenseman, playing because tanev is injured, gudbranson has been traded. on the right side there is only stecher is playing. biega and schenn are both 8th d-men. he was signed because he can sit in the stands and play when they need him. HE IS GOOD AT THAT.

Ridiculous statement. good at sitting  and waiting ?  

He’s been good at getting his shots through lately. If he keeps his play up the rest of the season and maybe even keeps improving, I could see him taking the #6 spot next season. He brings a lot of speed, energy and aggressiveness to the team, something we really lack. Let’s see if it lasts...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Elias_Pettersson said:

He’s been good at getting his shots through lately. If he keeps his play up the rest of the season and maybe even keeps improving, I could see him taking the #6 spot next season. He brings a lot of speed, energy and aggressiveness to the team, something we really lack. Let’s see if it lasts...

Hes been given his opportunity and is proving himself quite well . 

35 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Ridiculous statement. good at sitting  and waiting ?  

he was signed for his willingness to be an 8th d-man. he was not a starting 6 d-man but could come in and be a replacement on a short time basis. don’t take my word for it, go back and listen to JB explaining his signing. i don’t make stuff.

• Cheers 2

I'm pretty sure Beiga didn't just take the position to settle on being an 8TH D-man ,even IF thats only what JB had to offer at the time. Do you honestly believe anyone with an chance to excel at their chosen sport would say no" to a foot in the door opportunity"? laughable

5 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

I'm pretty sure Beiga didn't just take the position to settle on being an 8TH D-man ,even IF thats only what JB had to offer at the time. Do you honestly believe anyone with an chance to excel at their chosen sport would say no" to a foot in the door opportunity"? laughable

That's not what Joe is saying.. Biega has always been our professional "depth" d-man.  Even when we're fully healthy he rarely gets sent to Utica.  When injuries strike he slots in and usually does a decent job.  

In the past, though, he fades because of the amazing effort he puts in as a backup.  This season he's been a bit more consistent... but I doubt we go with Tanev-Stecher-Biega on the right side next season.  JB isn't secure enough in his job for that.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Hell, I'd settle for being 8D.  I'd still dream of working up from there, but it's better than 99.99% of hockey players ever achieve.  Imagine, a million a year.  You still get to practice with an NHL team and you get to play some times and have a chance to work in to a regular position.  Would you rather play big minutes in the AHL at 65k/year?

Anyway, Biega has been pretty good this year compared to past years.  Still not stellar - there are some gaps that cost us goals against.  His offence has been the real surprise.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Hell, I'd settle for being 8D.  I'd still dream of working up from there, but it's better than 99.99% of hockey players ever achieve.  Imagine, a million a year.  You still get to practice with an NHL team and you get to play some times and have a chance to work in to a regular position.  Would you rather play big minutes in the AHL at 65k/year?

Anyway, Biega has been pretty good this year compared to past years.  Still not stellar - there are some gaps that cost us goals against.  His offence has been the real surprise.

I'm not convinced anybody given that type of opportunity would SETTLE when theres much more available. Would you rather 65k/year in the AHL or 3-4-5 mil/year in the bigs?

14 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

as a border line nhl d-man, he could have gone to uttica or stay in the nhl, as a depth d-man. he chose to be a depth nhl d-man. i’m sure he would rather be a full a full time player, but you’ld have to ask him while he chose to kept his situation in the nhl. 

9 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

That's not what Joe is saying.. Biega has always been our professional "depth" d-man.  Even when we're fully healthy he rarely gets sent to Utica.  When injuries strike he slots in and usually does a decent job.  

In the past, though, he fades because of the amazing effort he puts in as a backup.  This season he's been a bit more consistent... but I doubt we go with Tanev-Stecher-Biega on the right side next season.  JB isn't secure enough in his job for that.

Given consistent TOI is actually showing more of what Biega can and does offer.

Just now, smithers joe said:

as a border line nhl d-man, he could have gone to uttica or stay in the nhl, as a depth d-man. he chose to be a depth nhl d-man. i’m sure he would rather be a full a full time player, but you’ld have to ask him while he chose to kept his situation in the nhl. 

Exactly,the reason why he chose to stay .... the opportunity to showcase. He wouldn't have that in the Utica would he? Hence my point with him actually having these games to prove himself isthe reason he took the JBs supposed offer. Is pouliot a "nhl d-man"?Biega has better stats and offers more than pouliot does. 

10 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Given consistent TOI is actually showing more of what Biega can and does offer.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Biega can't ever make the jump to the full time starting roster, just that he's a great choice for 7/8D.  It wasn't until this season that he showed consistency over time in his game.  In past years he was good for a couple or a few games and then the wheels would come off the truck.  This season he's learned how to keep the intensity up and seems to have added some important bits to his game - getting the shot through from the point, skating the puck up the ice and gaining entry into the attacking zone for example.  He still can work on his defensive positioning especially by not over committing physically on the boards, but it's very nice to see that you can teach an old (bull)dog new tricks.  At 30 years old, this is very uncommon.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Exactly,the reason why he chose to stay .... the opportunity to showcase. He wouldn't have that in the Utica would he? Hence my point with him actually having these games to prove himself isthe reason he took the JBs supposed offer. Is pouliot a "nhl d-man"?Biega has better stats and offers more than pouliot does. 

as fans we can paint whatever picture we want. we all are aware of pouliot's short comings, but green had him in juniors and believed he had lost his confidence and believed that he could build him up again. it looks like green has finally given up his quest to rehabilitate him. i doubt he is back next year. 

we are not well positioned at defense as we all are aware. it might be hard to get rid of d-men without knowing what d-men they will have for next season. 

we believe we’ll have edler, tanev, hughes, hutton, stecher and maybe juolevi, brisebois or sautner. if they opt to have the young guys playing a lot in uttica, then biega or schenn may be the extra d-men.

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This past October the Canucks went with 7d and waived Biega thinking (rightfully) he would clear.  Would the Canucks get away with that if they try that next October?  

I honestly find it hard to believe with his production that he'd go through at this point, but then again, a lot of teams are just trying to get rid of players at the start of the year, so players that wouldn't normally make it through do make it through, so he might make it through if we chose the time correctly.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I honestly find it hard to believe with his production that he'd go through at this point, but then again, a lot of teams are just trying to get rid of players at the start of the year, so players that wouldn't normally make it through do make it through, so he might make it through if we chose the time correctly.

I was thinking the same thing.  I would've been shocked if he was nabbed last October and I know the October waiver wire can be hectic, but I think some team with a clear need for a 7D grabs him this time.