The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Biega | #55 | D

-SN-

On 12/21/2016 at 1:57 PM, ajhockey said:

I don't think he's gonna get enough games in, unless he already has enough and I just don't know the rules well.

I'd agree that Biega isn't particularly outplaying anyone. In generally sheltered minutes, he is surprisingly capable and physical, but against stars (like Wheeler), he struggles more. He's a serviceable 6/7 defenseman for sure and plays that role very well.

He's down to 11 games needed to be expansion draft eligible.  https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft and with Guddy out long term, there are lots of games left to get there. He is the 9th defenseman used this year and it is a nice bonus to get him into that expansion draft, which means there is potential to trade Edler, Tanev, Sbisa or Gudbranson for a good return. 

26 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Biega is a SOLID 7 D and is filling in nicely.We've needed his hard nosed style. He's fast enough to keep up with the pace and can skate hard into the O zone when he gets a chance to join the play.

And in 15 more games he becomes expansion draft fodder:)

Edited by Alflives

26 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Biega is a SOLID 7 D and is filling in nicely.We've needed his hard nosed style. He's fast enough to keep up with the pace and can skate hard into the O zone when he gets a chance to join the play.

Edited by Alflives

9 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Biega impressed me a lot today. I saw him lay a decently hard hit onto Adam Lowry. Lowry is 6'5" and 210lbs. Biega really knows no fear when it comes to being aggressive in his hits.

Bulldog is the moniker I believe. He is fine as a depth d-man. My only issue is when the scramble starts in the d-zone he seems to chase a little. He left Tryamkin exposed a couple of times last night.  

On 12/23/2016 at 8:55 PM, hobart16 said:

Biega caught Gaudreau from behind in 3d.  Penalty, but he can skate 

Good to hear. In full disclosure, I didn't catch that game.

One thing I've noticed about Biega though is that his skating looks labor-intensive. He appears like he's not that smooth on skates. 

But if he can catch up to Gaudreau, all the power to him! Get those games you need for eligibility, Bulldog! 

On 12/24/2016 at 1:27 AM, ShakyWalton said:

I thought he got beat a lot tonight and out muscled as well.

And I've noticed a lot of stick skill mistakes, which I don't remember seeing in the past either.  Not horrible plays but as a pro and a smaller guy he just has to handle the puck when it comes to him.  

Edited by hobart16
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

And I've noticed a lot of stick skill mistakes, which I don't remember seeing in the past either.  Not horrible plays but as a pro and a smaller guy he just has to handle the puck when it comes to him.  

And he turns the wrong we sometimes too.  He's just not a very quick skater in the transition from backward to forward, and visa versa.  But he will be our D guy exposed to expansion do it's okay.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And he turns the wrong we sometimes too.  He's just not a very quick skater in the transition from backward to forward, and visa versa.  But he will be our D guy exposed to expansion do it's okay.

along with Pedan, Sbisa and Nilsson - assuming they protect Gudbranson, Edler and Tanev.

I don't think we should protect Edler if we have him available to expose for expansion.. if we lose him, then with his capspace and Burrows expiring contract. We have room to sign Gudbranson again.. and then some.

I have really liked Biegga and his all or nothing game. He is fearless, wish others would play with his mindset. 

His low Center of gravity keeps him in tight quarters  on moves by Gaudreau and others his own size.

I would prefer to keep Biegga for 1.5-2m a year over keeping Edler and his remaining contract... unless he re-establishes himself as the gritty, wide eyed, intelligent D man he was a couple of years ago.

Edited by SilentSam

1 hour ago, mll said:

along with Pedan, Sbisa and Nilsson - assuming they protect Gudbranson, Edler and Tanev.

Pedan and Gudbranson are UFAs..someone has to be resigned to be exposed or protected...I'm sure they will resign Gudbranson unless he is traded because I don't think he is worth 5-6 million right now...Pedan probably wont be resigned....

7 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Pedan and Gudbranson are UFAs..someone has to be resigned to be exposed or protected...I'm sure they will resign Gudbranson unless he is traded because I don't think he is worth 5-6 million right now...Pedan probably wont be resigned....

Gudbranson is a coming UFA?  My God Benning get the guy signed before we lose him for nothing!!!!! 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gudbranson is a coming UFA?  My God Benning get the guy signed before we lose him for nothing!!!!! 

Pedan is an after thought in this organization..dont count on him being resigned...but count on him coming back and terrorizing our soft forwards in the future....what a waste.

2 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Pedan is an after thought in this organization..dont count on him being resigned...but count on him coming back and terrorizing our soft forwards in the future....what a waste.

We should lock up both these guys.  If we are going to lose, at least go down swinging, right?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We should lock up both these guys.  If we are going to lose, at least go down swinging, right?

I agree..I'm sure Gudbranson will be resigned..but he may opt for free agency to get what he wants...They have Bo to sign..along with Miller, Gaunce.Rodin and Larsen...and Pedan..I think they will let Pedan walk if not thrown in on a trade...its obvious he has no future on the Canucks.

3 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I agree..I'm sure Gudbranson will be resigned..but he may opt for free agency to get what he wants...They have Bo to sign..along with Miller, Gaunce.Rodin and Larsen...and Pedan..I think they will let Pedan walk if not thrown in on a trade...its obvious he has no future on the Canucks.

Why in God's name did JB give up so much for guys who will become UFAs?  That's a first (McCann) a second, a third, and a fifth!  And we are rebuilding?  Stupid!!!

• Upvote 1