The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Biega | #55 | D

-SN-

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why in God's name did JB give up so much for guys who will become UFAs?  That's a first (McCann) a second, a third, and a fifth!  And we are rebuilding?  Stupid!!!

I just noticed Gudbranson will be an RFA at seasons end so that changes things.

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

And he turns the wrong we sometimes too.  He's just not a very quick skater in the transition from backward to forward, and visa versa.  But he will be our D guy exposed to expansion do it's okay.

Can't agree with that.  It's true he turned the wrong way once and it cost us, but he is a top skater.  He gets up into the rush and back faster than anyone else in our D corps.  That, along with maxing out his physicality, got him into the league.  If he could get a shot going he would be getting more games and minutes.  Makes sense to expose him in expansion of course. 

22 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Can't agree with that.  It's true he turned the wrong way once and it cost us, but he is a top skater.  He gets up into the rush and back faster than anyone else in our D corps.  That, along with maxing out his physicality, got him into the league.  If he could get a shot going he would be getting more games and minutes.  Makes sense to expose him in expansion of course. 

Don't understand how anyone could say Biega does not have wheels. IMO he is a better skater than Larsson. Biega has actually rushed deep into the o-zone on occasion trying to set up a scoring op. Since I think Tanev will be dealt and Sbisa protected Biega will be exposed. I doubt he is picked up and have no problem him being a #7, #8 depth guy.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Don't understand how anyone could say Biega does not have wheels. IMO he is a better skater than Larsson. Biega has actually rushed deep into the o-zone on occasion trying to set up a scoring op. Since I think Tanev will be dealt and Sbisa protected Biega will be exposed. I doubt he is picked up and have no problem him being a #7, #8 depth guy.  

I sure hope your plan comes to fruition.  Tanev being dealt especially.

• 4 weeks later...

A few days ago, Biega was first on the team in hits/game until Tryamkin decided to go beast mode. As much as Biega is expendable, I feel like his hard work ethic and drive will result in him having a surprisingly long career of a few hundred games, though likely not all in Vancouver.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ajhockey said:

A few days ago, Biega was first on the team in hits/game until Tryamkin decided to go beast mode. As much as Biega is expendable, I feel like his hard work ethic and drive will result in him having a surprisingly long career of a few hundred games, though likely not all in Vancouver.

Hawks are a very fast team and I thought they pressured the Van d-core hard. Biega had a tough game. I like his speed and for his size he battles hard. When I talk about a tough game I am talking about his ability to move the puck effectively when pressured. He turned the puck a number of times. Contrast that with Stecher who handles the puck in tight situations and moves the puck effectively. As a #7 there is nothing wrong with Biega.  

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Hawks are a very fast team and I thought they pressured the Van d-core hard. Biega had a tough game. I like his speed and for his size he battles hard. When I talk about a tough game I am talking about his ability to move the puck effectively when pressured. He turned the puck a number of times. Contrast that with Stecher who handles the puck in tight situations and moves the puck effectively. As a #7 there is nothing wrong with Biega.  

i agree that biega is a good depth dman. 

On 1/23/2017 at 2:26 AM, ajhockey said:

I agree with you.  I've been to numerous Canucks practices at UBC and Biega is always the last person on the ice after practice, working on drills by himself.  He has a strong work ethic and I think that will carry him to a solid NHL career.

On 1/24/2017 at 7:13 AM, SwedeHockey said:

Anyone know how many games Biega needs until we can expose him? 

He is already exposed but having him meet the game requirements would allow to trade a D.

He needs 2 more games - Avalanche today and probably Arizona tomorrow.

Edited by mll

• 1 month later...

Biega on the 4th line!! He hits everything in sight. Wow does he ever get under a teams skin...legally.

His speed is perfect to line up good bodychecks! More of that please.

ps.good insurance too :) if any of our D goes down!

Edited by Hairy Kneel

Biega is actually growing on me a bit.  He will still never be a first pairing guy, but you really can't expect anything more from a 7th defenseman than he provides.  He has decent wheels, does land a few good hits, and plays his heart out.  Not once did I ever hear any amount of complaining on his part either.  He knows his place and seems just happy to have a contract and the opportunity to play in the NHL.  (Unlike a guy like, say, Corrado). 

Of course, leave him exposed, but I hope he remains.

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Biega is actually growing on me a bit.  He will still never be a first pairing guy, but you really can't expect anything more from a 7th defenseman than he provides.  He has decent wheels, does land a few good hits, and plays his heart out.  Not once did I ever hear any amount of complaining on his part either.  He knows his place and seems just happy to have a contract and the opportunity to play in the NHL.  (Unlike a guy like, say, Corrado). 

Of course, leave him exposed, but I hope he remains.

Well if Vegas gets to pick one of Biega, Gaunce, or Sbisa I'm pretty sure they won't take Biega.  But with all the young guys pushing, Biega might be on the waiver wire next season.

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Well if Vegas gets to pick one of Biega, Gaunce, or Sbisa I'm pretty sure they won't take Biega.  But with all the young guys pushing, Biega might be on the waiver wire next season.

Isn't there a way to avoid that if he starts the year in Utica? I personally think Biega would almost certainly be claimed given his low salary and admirable play.

2 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Isn't there a way to avoid that if he starts the year in Utica? I personally think Biega would almost certainly be claimed given his low salary and admirable play.

That's an excellent question.  Would that be fair to the player though?  

Just now, Alflives said:

That's an excellent question.  Would that be fair to the player though?  

To me, the spot it Biega's to lose in the pre-season. We'll see how our deep defense and Juolevi do in the pre-season. Biega is definitely in a tough spot to hold on to his spot. I'd put him at the No. 8 spot right now, though he'll move up to No. 7 if Sbisa is indeed taken by Vegas. He's basically got to outplay Hutton, Stetcher, or Tryamkin on top a maturing Juolevi and I don't see that happening. He'd be a great leader for Utica to be sure.

Just now, ajhockey said:

To me, the spot it Biega's to lose in the pre-season. We'll see how our deep defense and Juolevi do in the pre-season. Biega is definitely in a tough spot to hold on to his spot. I'd put him at the No. 8 spot right now, though he'll move up to No. 7 if Sbisa is indeed taken by Vegas. He's basically got to outplay Hutton, Stetcher, or Tryamkin on top a maturing Juolevi and I don't see that happening. He'd be a great leader for Utica to be sure.

Love Biega in Utica too.  Maybe the Canucks can pay him his full NHL salary, while keeping him on the farm?  Didn't we do that with Baumgartner?

Just now, Alflives said:

Love Biega in Utica too.  Maybe the Canucks can pay him his full NHL salary, while keeping him on the farm?  Didn't we do that with Baumgartner?

According to CapFriendly, it looks like he's actually on a one-way deal anyways, so he'd get his full $800,000 in Utica as well.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/alex-biega