The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Biega | #55 | D

-SN-

Really admire his work ethic and how much tenacity this guy has. People tend to overlook him because of his lack of skill but you notice him every single game. A more than competent bottom 7th pairing defenceman and a tenacious 4th line grinder. I would not want to be in the receiving end of those hits.

If he was on a playoff team people would notice him a lot, lot more. I can feel those checks and blows to my body when I see him roughing up a fallen forward during puck battles. I love it.

6 hours ago, Bunter Shinkorvat said:

Really admire his work ethic and how much tenacity this guy has. People tend to overlook him because of his lack of skill but you notice him every single game. A more than competent bottom 7th pairing defenceman and a tenacious 4th line grinder. I would not want to be in the receiving end of those hits.

If he was on a playoff team people would notice him a lot, lot more. I can feel those checks and blows to my body when I see him roughing up a fallen forward during puck battles. I love it.

If it was only about work effort and decent skill then I would be all in favor about keeping Biega. The reality is that this roster is rebuilding and the time line has them at least 3 years away from being competitive. My take from that is Biega is waived and if injury requires replacement then Utica provides that. It is all about development and a 30 year old player does not compliment the development time line. 

On 26/09/2017 at 0:11 AM, -AJ- said:

Biega is difficult. He always feels like he should be off the depth chart, but works so hard that it seems impossible to keep him off.

You took the words right out of my mouth.  If he can serve as an example for some of the younger guys to inspire them to put in just as much effort, it's totally worth it to keep him around a little longer.  And, in a completely selfish manner, he serves as a fantastic inspirational motivator for my own hockey playing son.  "See, you don't need to be the next Crosby or McDavid to make it into the NHL, you just have to be like Dorsett or Biega and work harder than anyone else you know."

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm betting Biega will start getting more games with Stecher probably being out for a while. Good thing we have some decent depth on defense. Still, missing Stecher will hurt.

My reservation with Stecher and even Tanev is whether they are only 'regular' season players. If I was coaching against them I would be playing them physical at every opportunity. The question is whether they can withstand that over CUP play. Stecher has such a great attitude but I thought he was to willing to engage so far this year. Did not see his injury happen so not sure of circumstance.

• 2 weeks later...

Biega might be the Kenin's or Smyl type hitter we need on the 4th line. 

Last night Dallas upped their hitting game a notch in the 3rd period and we barely matched them, we need a consistent 4th liner who always responds. 

Smyl was the master at it. He would sense we needed a jump (or that the other team hit one of our guys) and he would always go out and be that energy guy to gain back momentum.

Biega's hitting gets fans out of their seats. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Biega big fan of Green's philosophy with Canucks

Defenseman says Vancouver teammates buying in to what new coach is selling, with improved results

cut.jpg

Travis Green was loud, clear and point blank at the dawning of his first training camp as coach of the Vancouver Canucks.

Prepare to work and work hard, he told his players, and make a lot of changes to your game. You will be held accountable and required to get out of your comfort zone.

Defenseman Alex Biega remembers that first meeting, when Green took a lot of players by surprise with what Biega called an unconventional delivery of a message that said the Canucks needed to change, and quickly, if they wanted to net positive results after finishing last season with 69 points (30-43-9), 29th in the NHL and ahead of only the Colorado Avalanche (48). 

Biega played for Green with Utica of the American Hockey League, so he knew what to expect when the Canucks hired Green on April 26. That first meeting was when Biega realized things in Vancouver would be different this season. 

"I think the guys are buying into the system in general," Biega said during a visit to the NHL offices in New York on Monday. "We're doing well."

The Canucks are doing very well, much sooner than expected, and have emerged as one of the League's surprises. At 11-9-4, they're tied with the San Jose Sharks for the second wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs from the Western Conference. It was expected to be another rebuilding season in Vancouver. Instead, the culture change was immediate since Green took over. 

cut.jpg

"We put a plan in order of how we wanted to play as a group and so far, the guys have bought in," Green told Sportsnet's "Prime Time Sports" last Thursday.

Green is proving he is the right coach at the right time for the Canucks, who are 2-1-1 on their six-game road trip across the continent entering their game at the New York Islanders on Tuesday. In addition to Biega, 29, forwards Bo Horvat (22), Sven Baertschi (25) and Jake Virtanen (21) are among Vancouver's developing players who Green coached in Utica.

"What I recognized right away is he didn't change anything about his coaching style," Biega said. "He just brought what he was successful at in the minor league level and is doing it now at the NHL level. The accountability factor is huge for him. That's one thing I've noticed right away that's paying dividends with him.

"He's one of those guys who recognizes what you have to do to not only stay in the League but be an effective player. He's hard on guys. Even in practice he's very consistent in terms of preaching guys the way the game has to be played."

Like any NHL team, there's always more to learn. Before beginning their road trip, the Canucks saw a two-goal lead against the St. Louis Blues vanish en route to a 4-3 overtime loss at Rogers Arena on Nov. 18. On Sunday, Vancouver dominated the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden but couldn't survive a late charge in what became a 4-3 shootout loss. 

"Right now, maybe after a quarter of a way through, we're trying to find the consistency to our game and the way we are playing," Biega said. "We have to continuously try to find our way to grind through games on the road and get road wins.

"If we keep developing individually and collectively, we have a good chance of doing something special this year." 

Biega's teammate, Daniel Sedin, is in position to do something historic against the Islanders on Tuesday. The veteran forward is two points from 1,000 in his NHL career and joining his twin brother, captain Henrik Sedin, as the only players to reach the milestone with the Canucks. 

"To me in the media outside of Vancouver, [the Sedins] don't get enough credit," Biega said. "They're consummate professionals who do the right things all the time. It's no secret that they've been so successful, because their actions speak for itself. I'm really excited to be on a team where you can see Daniel accomplish that milestone. It's going to be exciting for him and his family."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2017-10-31 at 2:36 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Biega might be the Kenin's or Smyl type hitter we need on the 4th line. 

Last night Dallas upped their hitting game a notch in the 3rd period and we barely matched them, we need a consistent 4th liner who always responds. 

Smyl was the master at it. He would sense we needed a jump (or that the other team hit one of our guys) and he would always go out and be that energy guy to gain back momentum.

Biega's hitting gets fans out of their seats. 

I was hoping to see Biegga in last night Hairy,.  Is he injured or was he number out?

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Alex Biega | #55 | D
  • 2 weeks later...

Biega had an incredible game... he isn't great at anything but is above-average at almost every aspect of the game. The perfect depth defenseman and easily our most physical player whenever he gets put into the lineup. Created a number of offensive opportunities, showed good vision joining the rush and distributing the puck... one might even say he played like a man possessed tonight. What more can you ask for from someone who's been sitting in the press box for that long?

• Upvote 1

It was like unleashing a wild animal and for a guy who had been in the press box for so long he set the tone for the defense. I can't say enough good things about Biega his heart is second to none. If you aren't going to play him nightly you have to get him in the lineup from time to time just to give the boys an emotional lift.

• Upvote 3