The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Biega | #55 | D

-SN-

On 12/19/2017 at 10:15 PM, -AJ- said:

It's not saying much, but with 3 points in 18 games, Biega is on pace for his most offensive season!

With two points, Biega is on fire right now! Jokes aside, he has been a man possessed recently, playing like he does in the preseason.

If he plays like this in almost every game keep him. Another point, works hard and probably my favourite defencemen on this team currently. I do think he needs to work on his "first pass" outside the defensive zone other than that I love it when he jumps up in rushes, plus he's getting shots on nets. ALSO, can't forget them hits!

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Love Biega. The issue becomes how much TOI can you give him?

TOI or perhaps more importantly, how many games in a row? 

He generally (and understandably) starts to fade after a few games. 

He's the perfect 8D though. Works his arse off on and of the ice which keeps him prepared and makes the guys in the 5, 6 and 7 slots keep working their arses off as well to stay in the lineup. 

I remember when half of CDC was laughing at me at the beginning of the season for suggesting he stay up as 8th D over guys like Pedan :rolleyes:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's the perfect 8D though. Works his arse off on and of the ice which keeps him prepared and makes the guys in the 5, 6 and 7 slots keep working their arses off as well to stay in the lineup. 

I remember when half of CDC was laughing at me at the beginning of the season for suggesting he stay up as 8th D over guys like Pedan :rolleyes:

I have always hoped that he would go into coaching in Utica when his career ends on the ice. He lives close to Uitca. Has great character and apparently excellent communication skills.  

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, reyezone said:

Remind me why this guy isn't a top six on this club

On 12/22/2017 at 12:58 PM, aGENT said:

4 hours ago, reyezone said:

Remind me why this guy isn't a top six on this club

His age doesn't fit a rebuilding team but if you value  a vet who can show younger players what work and commitment is all about Biega is our man. He should play every 4th or 5th game for the rest of the year. Rotate him through the d-core and show no favs.  

• 3 weeks later...

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 13m13 minutes ago

Been told the #Canucks are getting close to a contract extension with defenseman Alex Biega. Bulldog back!

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 2m2 minutes ago

The Biega new contract takes him off the free agent market. This is a depth signing for a guy whose work ethic rubs off on the younger players. #Canucks love his versatility, character, plays all roles.

Edited by Mackcanuck

6 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Been told the #Canucks are getting close to a contract extension with defenseman Alex Biega. Bulldog back!

The Biega new contract takes him off the free agent market. This is a depth signing for a guy whose work ethic rubs off on the younger players. #Canucks love his versatility, character, plays all roles.

Good.  He's the perfect #8 dman.

I know you can worry too much about who's the #8 dman but it's nice knowing he's there, will embrace the role, be solid when he's in the lineup, etc.  It can be an annoying hole to fill, so it's good to know it'll be filled for a little while longer.

10 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Is the BIG announcement the Canucks are having today?  I heard on the radio the Canucks have a BIG announcement coming this afternoon.

38 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

bulldog-ingles-patinando-10481.gif

• Upvote 2

His work ethic, speed and sheer enthusiasm should have him playing regular 5-6 D shifts. There has barely been a game this season where he wouldn't have been a better replacement for one of those on the ice, often more than one of them. Glad to see they signed him up again.