The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Biega | #55 | D

-SN-

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Time to waive Biega, free up a forward spot this season! We got so many decent forwards and we shouldn't kill the depth by losing Leipsic or Goldobin. I get that Biega works his butt off but Pouliot will be just fine as the lone extra D-man. It serves the team better having more flexibility to rotate  couple forwards depending on the opponents, I.e. size/grit vs speed/skill. 

Biega will indeed be very hard pressed to keep his spot this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Utica this year until we get blasted by injuries, as usual.

Alex Biega is a win/ win player for the Canucks. He fills the #7/ #8 dman role better than, perhaps, any other NHLer. If he ends up in Utica, he will be a superb captain and a valuable vet dman for the Comets. Only dark lining to this silver cloud is his journey through waivers. I doubt anyone grabs him off waivers, but you never know ! ( teams are just not too worried about #7/ #8 dmen ! )

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am betting that Alex Biega does get waived this year and if he clears which IMO is likely; he will become the captain of the Utica Comets.

Good to see a few of you echo my comment! Biega is a serviceable backup D-man and most CDC peeps really wanna see him on the roster but we gotta get that spot for another veteran forward like Gagner/Granlund who can come in and out of the line-up.

10 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Good to see a few of you echo my comment! Biega is a serviceable backup D-man and most CDC peeps really wanna see him on the roster but we gotta get that spot for another veteran forward like Gagner/Granlund who can come in and out of the line-up.

It seems highly likely that one or both of Gags/Granny will be moved at some point as well, so I'd rather have Biega down in Utica helping out with all the kiddies.  He is a versatile, scrappy high energy guy that is great for team depth as well.

39 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It seems highly likely that one or both of Gags/Granny will be moved at some point as well, so I'd rather have Biega down in Utica helping out with all the kiddies.  He is a versatile, scrappy high energy guy that is great for team depth as well.

Ya... there should be takers... teams like Arizona should take on more salaries?? But then again they did take a few dead contracts!! 

Would be a refreshing start if we can ice Dahlen, Gaudette, Goldobin, Leipsic.. 

Solid guy, solid depth defensemen. He is going to fall victim to the numbers game, he'll more than likely be waived and clear. 

My favorite of him, is his hitting when's he's on the 4th line. Bulldog. I kinda hope he gets picked up and finds full time work somewhere.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Why is Biega back in the lineup? He is competent, but no long term solution. Why not give a chance to a prospect and see what he can do? Brisbois? Chadfield? Anyone but Biega. I shed a silent tear every time I see him in the lineup.

• 4 weeks later...