The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

Went on vacation.  Over my break, Edler was the highest to move up the all-time Canuck scoring list.  Now in 18th.

17.  Patrik Sundstrom C 374 133 209 342
18.  Alexander Edler D 753 83 247 330
19.  Cliff Ronning C 366 112 216 328

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Went on vacation.  Over my break, Edler was the highest to move up the all-time Canuck scoring list.  Now in 18th.

17.  Patrik Sundstrom C 374 133 209 342
18.  Alexander Edler D 753 83 247 330
19.  Cliff Ronning C 366 112 216 328

He is having a great season. I am looking forward to see Edler back next year. He has reclaimed what makes him a great defenseman in this league under Green and Baumgartner, and with Gudbranson, and now Stecher, as defensive partners.

His minutes (over 30 minutes last game!), his on ice vision, maturity, dominant physical play, and assists and goals have been a bright spot on the back end, which hasn't had many.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2018-03-29 at 10:56 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

He is having a great season. I am looking forward to see Edler back next year. He has reclaimed what makes him a great defenseman in this league under Green and Baumgartner, and with Gudbranson, and now Stecher, as defensive partners.

His minutes (over 30 minutes last game!), his on ice vision, maturity, dominant physical play, and assists and goals have been a bright spot on the back end, which hasn't had many.

I see it a little differently.

His offensive output has been alright this year but he's still on the bad side of a lot of defensive lapses and brutal give aways. 

The good news is, I see it as a fixable situation in the offseason.

As it stands, it sounds like JB wants Edler beyond next season. 

If this is the case, JB needs to find a compatible defenseman that nuetralizes Alex's weeknesses.

Enter, Ian Cole.

He's experienced, has physicality, and is defensively responsible.

On paper, at least, he'd make a great pairing with Edler.

I was going to suggest Jacob Trouba but that's a little too much to hope for.

If he gets to free agency, I'd like to see a serious play for him.

On 2018-03-29 at 10:56 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Totally agree.  We need Edler for as long as he can play.  I see a three year extension as ideal.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, komodo0921 said:

I see it a little differently.

His offensive output has been alright this year but he's still on the bad side of a lot of defensive lapses and brutal give aways. 

The good news is, I see it as a fixable situation in the offseason.

As it stands, it sounds like JB wants Edler beyond next season. 

If this is the case, JB needs to find a compatible defenseman that nuetralizes Alex's weeknesses.

Enter, Ian Cole.

He's experienced, has physicality, and is defensively responsible.

On paper, at least, he'd make a great pairing with Edler.

I was going to suggest Jacob Trouba but that's a little too much to hope for.

If he gets to free agency, I'd like to see a serious play for him.

I have been looking at potential UFA Dmen, and his name stuck out to me also. He looks like a good fill-in as he hits his prime, and won't rob the bank to sign him. Good size to him also, with a little offense to boot

Edited by Father Ryan
Additional content
  • Cheers 1

That's it. Eddy is the last 2011 cup run player on the roster. He has been playing real well this year. I wonder if he knew the twins were retiring. Maybe it got him to appreciate the game and how much time he has left in it. Something is different because it's the best he has played in years.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

That's it. Eddy is the last 2011 cup run player on the roster. He has been playing real well this year. I wonder if he knew the twins were retiring. Maybe it got him to appreciate the game and how much time he has left in it. Something is different because it's the best he has played in years.

Tanev played a bit in that year, but only a bit. Edler's longevity may be more recognized now that the long-lasting twins are leaving.

• 1 month later...

For those who believe our players have little or no perceived trade value, here's what a Florida writer proposed for Edler today:

To Florida Panthers
Alexander Edler (D)

To Vancouver Canucks
First Round Pick 2019
Third Round Pick 2020
MacKenzie Weegar (D)
Jonathan Ang (C)

To Florida Panthers
Alexander Edler (D)

To Vancouver Canucks
First Round Pick 2019
Aleksi Heponiemi (C)

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

For those who believe our players have little or no perceived trade value, here's what a Florida writer proposed for Edler today:

To Florida Panthers
Alexander Edler (D)

To Vancouver Canucks
First Round Pick 2019
Third Round Pick 2020
MacKenzie Weegar (D)
Jonathan Ang (C)

To Florida Panthers
Alexander Edler (D)

To Vancouver Canucks
First Round Pick 2019
Aleksi Heponiemi (C)

Wow, that's a hefty return. Edler had a very strong season as is a veteran presence at this point, so I can see the appeal.

56 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

To Florida Panthers
Alexander Edler (D)

To Vancouver Canucks
First Round Pick 2019
Third Round Pick 2020
MacKenzie Weegar (D)
Jonathan Ang (C)

To Florida Panthers
Alexander Edler (D)

To Vancouver Canucks
First Round Pick 2019
Aleksi Heponiemi (C)

I just read that article also. That would be a helluva return for Eagle. I think I would prefer the first trade, myself.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

To Florida Panthers
Alexander Edler (D)

To Vancouver Canucks
First Round Pick 2019
Third Round Pick 2020
MacKenzie Weegar (D)
Jonathan Ang (C)

To Florida Panthers
Alexander Edler (D)

To Vancouver Canucks
First Round Pick 2019
Aleksi Heponiemi (C)

It's been mind numbing reading some people's valuations of Edler on here over the years. The guy's a solid #2D and still has a tonne of value.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

To Florida Panthers
Alexander Edler (D)

To Vancouver Canucks
First Round Pick 2019
Third Round Pick 2020
MacKenzie Weegar (D)
Jonathan Ang (C)

To Florida Panthers
Alexander Edler (D)

To Vancouver Canucks
First Round Pick 2019
Aleksi Heponiemi (C)

&^@#ing trade him already then

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

To Florida Panthers
Alexander Edler (D)

To Vancouver Canucks
First Round Pick 2019
Third Round Pick 2020
MacKenzie Weegar (D)
Jonathan Ang (C)

To Florida Panthers
Alexander Edler (D)

To Vancouver Canucks
First Round Pick 2019
Aleksi Heponiemi (C)

Good ole HockeyBuzz.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good ole HockeyBuzz.

That Heponiemi kid looks legit.  Him and a first isn't half bad.  Florida isn't exactly in a position to get far in the post season. Barring any big trades that might come this summer. Edler moves the needle some sure.  Likely first/second round exit tho.