The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's a top pair D...

Seriously people's valuations....:picard:

He's a borderline top pair D on the CANUCKS.  That doesn't say much.  He's also only got one year left on his contract.  I'd drive him to the airport myself if we could get a first round pick for him really...

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's a top pair D...

Seriously people's valuations....:picard:

Edler will get an extension.  He and Gudbranson will be our top pair for a couple years for sure.  They play well together.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frankie Sinatra said:

He's a borderline top pair D on the CANUCKS.  That doesn't say much.  He's also only got one year left on his contract.  I'd drive him to the airport myself if we could get a first round pick for him really...

There's nothing borderline about him. The guy plays 23+ minutes a night in ALL situations. He's by far our best D and it's not particularly close.

He'd be a top pair D on any team that doesn't already have a better legit #1 or comparable #2 left D.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's nothing borderline about him. The guy plays 23+ minutes a night in ALL situations. He's by far our best D and it's not particularly close.

He'd be a top pair D on any team that doesn't already have a better legit #1 or comparable #2 left D.

I've watched Edler play his whole career.  You are talking about an Edler from 5-7 years ago.  The Edler of today is a liability on the PP, he wouldn't be my first choice to be on the ice with 2 minutes left in a 2-2 deadlock, and he certainly wouldn't be a #1 pairing defenceman on a playoff team with Stanley Cup aspirations...

Just now, Frankie Sinatra said:

I've watched Edler play his whole career.  You are talking about an Edler from 5-7 years ago.  The Edler of today is a liability on the PP, he wouldn't be my first choice to be on the ice with 2 minutes left in a 2-2 deadlock, and he certainly wouldn't be a #1 pairing defenceman on a playoff team with Stanley Cup aspirations...

Nope. Edler circa 2018. And he could easily be on a 1st pair on a contender.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope. Edler circa 2018. And he could easily be on a 1st pair on a contender.

We can agree to disagree my friend.  Edler is a hot button topic in Vancouver.  I'm sure we can both agree that the Canucks really need an injection of talented youth on the blue line.  With Juolevi on his way and Tryamkin and Brisebois a possibility in a year or two, I see positive signs for our back end.  Love Troy Stecher.  My favourite future pairing would be Juolevi and Tryamkin.  I hope the big Russian decides to come back home soon where he belongs...

2 minutes ago, Frankie Sinatra said:

We can agree to disagree my friend.  Edler is a hot button topic in Vancouver.  I'm sure we can both agree that the Canucks really need an injection of talented youth on the blue line.  With Juolevi on his way and Tryamkin and Brisebois a possibility in a year or two, I see positive signs for our back end.  Love Troy Stecher.  My favourite future pairing would be Juolevi and Tryamkin.  I hope the big Russian decides to come back home soon where he belongs...

And likely a top D this draft as well ;) Any of whom would fit nicely with OJ IMO.

Edler, Letang would be a killer 1st pair in PIT FYI  :P 

• Haha 1

As valuable as the pair (Krug and Grzelcyk) is to the Bruins, the team realizes that finding a big body to play behind Chara is a must. The Bruins saw first-hand in their series with the Lightning how valuable having size on a blue line is. The Lightning slowed down the Bruins with a healthy dose of Victor Hedman, followed by Ryan McDonagh. Two left shot defensemen who both hover above six feet.

“As far as size goes, would it be nice to have a little bigger [defenseman] on the left side other than Z? Yes. So that’s something I think Don [Sweeney] is going to work on in the offseason,” Neely added. “But that’s not to take away from what the guys did on the left side for us. I thought they played very well for us.”

Edler will be 33 at the end of his current contract. I think he will be able to play a couple more years and would be okay with a 2 year contract or even 3 year contract at same cap hit.

We may have more left D than right D but I don't see Hutton and DJ Del Zotto being here beyond next year leaving room open for Juolevi. Having a work horse like Edler around will be good for this team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, zombieksa said:

Edler will be 33 at the end of his current contract. I think he will be able to play a couple more years and would be okay with a 2 year contract or even 3 year contract at same cap hit.

We may have more left D than right D but I don't see Hutton and DJ Del Zotto being here beyond next year leaving room open for Juolevi. Having a work horse like Edler around will be good for this team. 

Yup, and he can wind down to 2nd or 3rd pair as he ages, Juolevi ascends etc. 

• 1 month later...
On 18/05/2018 at 3:34 PM, Alflives said:

Edler will get an extension.  He and Gudbranson will be our top pair for a couple years for sure.  They play well together.  

The more I think about it, the more I feel Edler is important to transition to the new team.  He can put up at least some points, play an ok defensive game and isnt soft.  He can be the teacher for our young guys and we can probably re-sign him at a more reasonable number soon.

If we COULD get a 1st rounder, sure.  Not convinced we could, and if not, id rather he stick around.

13 minutes ago, kloubek said:

The more I think about it, the more I feel Edler is important to transition to the new team.  He can put up at least some points, play an ok defensive game and isnt soft.  He can be the teacher for our young guys and we can probably re-sign him at a more reasonable number soon.

If we COULD get a 1st rounder, sure.  Not convinced we could, and if not, id rather he stick around.

There's also the question on whether he'd even waive. If he won't, we might be best off re-signing him and continuing to get value out of him as a solid, veteran, 2 way D who can shelter our youth and slowly transition to 2nd and 3rd pairs as kids improve. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...