Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Wow, Edler caused more turnovers than any of our D that are fighting for a spot.He is gonna be a liability on our back-end again this year. Please trade him and keep stetch and or larson. Hell Pedan played a great game tonight.

I agree, he had more turnovers than a bakery on Saterday morning,(maybe not that mane. It I had to get that in). He didn't give me confidence this evening and hasn't for a while . 

This guy has to stay consistent for an entire season no injuries...

Hes stated he's not waving his NTC. He's here to stay.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really starting to wonder about Edler. In flashes he's a top four guy, then sometimes he looks like a real liability out there. What's going on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ynwa said:

I'm really starting to wonder about Edler. In flashes he's a top four guy, then sometimes he looks like a real liability out there. What's going on?

 

That's Edler in a nutshell for you.

 

Edler is what he is at this point. He has impeccable chemistry with the twins - like most Swedes do - and it's saving his job as a top four defender. Of course I think he is a top four defender regardless of what team he is, but without the Sedin's he's definitely not a top two. He has giant lapses of uninspired play - which correlates to his boneheaded turnovers.

 

He can move the puck. Don't get me wrong, we need him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sedin Brothers said:

 

That's Edler in a nutshell for you.

 

Edler is what he is at this point. He has impeccable chemistry with the twins - like most Swedes do - and it's saving his job as a top four defender. Of course I think he is a top four defender regardless of what team he is, but without the Sedin's he's definitely not a top two. He has giant lapses of uninspired play - which correlates to his boneheaded turnovers.

 

He can move the puck. Don't get me wrong, we need him.

This guy was drafted in the third round, 91st overall, if I'm not mistaken. The fact that he's playing top four pairing minutes, is saying a lot already. He might not be consistent like we want him to be, but he's what we've got, and for a third rounder, he's pretty damned good. He won't change much from here on out, already in his 30's, what you see, is what you got. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

This guy was drafted in the third round, 91st overall, if I'm not mistaken. The fact that he's playing top four pairing minutes, is saying a lot already. He might not be consistent like we want him to be, but he's what we've got, and for a third rounder, he's pretty damned good. He won't change much from here on out, already in his 30's, what you see, is what you got. 

 

 

Hard for any of the d-men to be sitting on the bench and not watch how Gudbranson delivers a strong positional game along with solid physical effort. I don't see Edler as a leader from the back end emotionally and EG is likely taking big pressure off his game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Hard for any of the d-men to be sitting on the bench and not watch how Gudbranson delivers a strong positional game along with solid physical effort. I don't see Edler as a leader from the back end emotionally and EG is likely taking big pressure off his game.

i think that EG is more likely the "leader" of the guys at the backend. Edler is a solid top four dman, still. He's just behind Tanev and Hutton now. Hutton, being on the rise with regards to his defensive and offensive game, while Edler has kind of stagnated for a while now. He's still a useful player, and I think we need to see him in light of that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

i think that EG is more likely the "leader" of the guys at the backend. Edler is a solid top four dman, still. He's just behind Tanev and Hutton now. Hutton, being on the rise with regards to his defensive and offensive game, while Edler has kind of stagnated for a while now. He's still a useful player, and I think we need to see him in light of that. 

 

Edler super important.  He can skate, move the puck, and he's really big.  We need big, mobile d.  We need .edler.  Tanev should be moved.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Edler super important.  He can skate, move the puck, and he's really big.  We need big, mobile d.  We need .edler.  Tanev should be moved.

I have to disagree. Hutton can skate move the puck, Larson is looking better and better. Our 2 offensive up and comers. Guddy is really big,( fingers crossed Tram gets it together) this should help keep most teams out of our crease. Sbisa has looked like a different player from last year and when Tanev is out it seems opposing teams cant even get a shot on goal. I realize its only 3 games but our D has looked great . Lots of mobility, clean tape to tape passes out of our end with the exception of Edler, Out of our D hes the biggest liability when it comes to clearing our zone, hell even a clean pass offensively are off target. Rarely uses his size and gets caught flat footed a ot. I'm really happy i haven't seen the drop pass to Henrik to gain the blueline on the pp so far this year though.Maybe i'm to hard on the guy but i feel the compilation of our D's strengths makes Edler not so important at all.How many turnovers resulting in odd man rushes, bad passes resulting in icings , if he'd take one stride to the right or left how many shots on net would actually make it there. A change of scenery would be the best for him and the canucks. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

I have to disagree. Hutton can skate move the puck, Larson is looking better and better. Our 2 offensive up and comers. Guddy is really big,( fingers crossed Tram gets it together) this should help keep most teams out of our crease. Sbisa has looked like a different player from last year and when Tanev is out it seems opposing teams cant even get a shot on goal. I realize its only 3 games but our D has looked great . Lots of mobility, clean tape to tape passes out of our end with the exception of Edler, Out of our D hes the biggest liability when it comes to clearing our zone, hell even a clean pass offensively are off target. Rarely uses his size and gets caught flat footed a ot. I'm really happy i haven't seen the drop pass to Henrik to gain the blueline on the pp so far this year though.Maybe i'm to hard on the guy but i feel the compilation of our D's strengths makes Edler not so important at all.How many turnovers resulting in odd man rushes, bad passes resulting in icings , if he'd take one stride to the right or left how many shots on net would actually make it there. A change of scenery would be the best for him and the canucks. 

Sounds good to this Canuck's fan:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember last season when all the idiots were looking for any mistake in Edler's game. Then, when he got injured, all the morons were so happy and were talking about finally having a better D-corp without him. We were supposed to start playing better and winning more. When that didn't happen the stupid rhetoric went to no depth, injuries and too many young players even though we played with those same issues most of the season. He still gets 3-4 minutes more than anyone else on our team. He is still easily our best defenseman.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Edler super important.  He can skate, move the puck, and he's really big.  We need big, mobile d.  We need .edler.  Tanev should be moved.

I'm not saying not to move Edler or Tanev. But I think if Tanev can demonstrate a more offensive set of tools this season, and more offensive game, in addition to his already solid defensive game, he would be worth quite a bit to other teams in needing of an upgrade. That being said, Tanev has been tremendous defensively, but the other elements of his game just hasn't been there. He's worth something, just probably not quite what Canuck fans want him to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm not saying not to move Edler or Tanev. But I think if Tanev can demonstrate a more offensive set of tools this season, and more offensive game, in addition to his already solid defensive game, he would be worth quite a bit to other teams in needing of an upgrade. That being said, Tanev has been tremendous defensively, but the other elements of his game just hasn't been there. He's worth something, just probably not quite what Canuck fans want him to be. 

Talking about moving Edler (LD)or Tanev(RD) comes down to org need as much as what would come back in return. IMHO the Canuck #1 need is a 1C prospect. I do not think the Canucks are deep enough to trade for such a prospect. My take on this season was that the Canucks would be drafting in the top 5 which with the start is now in question. It is a long season. :(  Drafting a 1C is the better way to go. The bottom line is that Hank is likely gone in 2 seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I remember last season when all the idiots were looking for any mistake in Edler's game. Then, when he got injured, all the morons were so happy and were talking about finally having a better D-corp without him. We were supposed to start playing better and winning more. When that didn't happen the stupid rhetoric went to no depth, injuries and too many young players even though we played with those same issues most of the season. He still gets 3-4 minutes more than anyone else on our team. He is still easily our best defenseman.

Ok,  lol I don't think all people or"idiots" were looking for mistakes in Edlers game last year, they just saw them. He's not a first pairing D man. The problem with last year was our depth, Bart, Beiga, Weber all made Edler seem that much better. Our depth this year is way better. When I watch our D the majority of errors made are not from our youth (which you'd expect). I could see his TOI dropping if our youth keeps up with their progress. Fingers crossed. "Easily the best defenceman"? Not by a long shot .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

i think that EG is more likely the "leader" of the guys at the backend. Edler is a solid top four dman, still. He's just behind Tanev and Hutton now. Hutton, being on the rise with regards to his defensive and offensive game, while Edler has kind of stagnated for a while now. He's still a useful player, and I think we need to see him in light of that. 

 

 

Apparently you didn't hear Stetcher's comments on him. Took him under his wing even in the summer and was a tremendous mentor apparently. And no, Edler is not behind Tanev or Hutton.

 

 

14 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

He still gets 3-4 minutes more than anyone else on our team. He is still easily our best defenseman.

 

This ^^^

 

19 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Ok,  lol I don't think all people or"idiots" were looking for mistakes in Edlers game last year, they just saw them. He's not a first pairing D man. The problem with last year was our depth, Bart, Beiga, Weber all made Edler seem that much better. Our depth this year is way better. When I watch our D the majority of errors made are not from our youth (which you'd expect). I could see his TOI dropping if our youth keeps up with their progress. Fingers crossed. "Easily the best defenceman"? Not by a long shot .

 

You do realize that ALL D men give pucks away, flub the odd pass etc? If you over-analyzed every shift of Kieth or Doughty you'd see a lot of the same things FYI. It's what happens when you play nearly half the game, largely against the opposition's best players. Edler's certainly not at those players level but yes, he is far and away our best D still and is most definitely a first pairing (though not a #1) D.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

 

Apparently you didn't hear Stetcher's comments on him. Took him under his wing even in the summer and was a tremendous mentor apparently. And no, Edler is not behind Tanev or Hutton.

 

 

 

This ^^^

 

 

You do realize that ALL D men give pucks away, flub the odd pass etc? If you over-analyzed every shift of Kieth or Doughty you'd see a lot of the same things FYI. It's what happens when you play nearly half the game, largely against the opposition's best players. Edler's certainly not at those players level but yes, he is far and away our best D still and is most definitely a first pairing (though not a #1) D.

JR. I think Edler is behind in the sense where his defensive game is not quite as good as Tanev's, and I think Hutton's offensive game is going to be better than Edler's this year. Gudbranson also did some "mentoring" with Jake this past Summer as well. That's good news then that Stetcher felt like Edler mentored him and showed him the ropes of how to be a professional. I'm not saying that Edler isn't a good dman, I did say he's still a top four dman. But his play has slipped over the last few years. I remember when he was being considered Norris worthy, now, that's not even in discussion anymore. 

 

All that said, I like Edler. I was one who didn't want him to be traded, when almost everyone on here wanted him to be traded. He's a good dman. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

JR. I think Edler is behind in the sense where his defensive game is not quite as good as Tanev's, and I think Hutton's offensive game is going to be better than Edler's this year. Gudbranson also did some "mentoring" with Jake this past Summer as well. That's good news then that Stetcher felt like Edler mentored him and showed him the ropes of how to be a professional. I'm not saying that Edler isn't a good dman, I did say he's still a top four dman. But his play has slipped over the last few years. I remember when he was being considered Norris worthy, now, that's not even in discussion anymore. 

 

All that said, I like Edler. I was one who didn't want him to be traded, when almost everyone on here wanted him to be traded. He's a good dman. 

 

 

Sure Tanev is better defensively but is a lesser player offensively and physically. Edler still a better overall player.

 

Hutton is basically the opposite of Tanev. Edler is again, a better overall player (so far anyway).

 

Never mind that none of those guys play the same role on D and aren't truly comparable (Edler, top 2, 2 way D with some offense and physicality, Tanev top 4 shutdown PMD, Hutton top 4 offensive D). You're apples and oranging.

 

I never said anything about Gudbranson, not sure why you'd bring him up? And for the record I was on board with Gudbranson before we even made the trade. Even made some trade proposals for him. Was thrilled when Benning got him for far less than I thought he'd cost. None of that has a thing to do with Edler.

 

His play really hasn't slipped much if at all. Sure there's probably a touch of age related decline but the only thing that's really changed is the team around him. The quality of his D partner, the rest of the top 4 (even 6) D and the quality and depth of forwards. It's very similar to the Sedins 'decline'. Give them a D core with a legit top pair, offensive PMD and secondary scoring/forward depth like we had from 2010-2012 and they'd likely be a lot closer to PPG players than they are now. Edler would likely be ~35+ point D again and our PP would not have looked so horrid the last few years.

 

People discount far too much just how good our team was those few years and how greatly the comparative lack of depth and quality has affected the remaining players performance. It's a TEAM sport. Our team has not been very good.

Edited by J.R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

 

Sure Tanev is better defensively but is a lesser player offensively and physically. Edler still a better overall player.

 

Hutton is basically the opposite of Tanev. Edler is again, a better overall player (so far anyway).

 

Never mind that none of those guys play the same role on D and aren't truly comparable (Edler, top 2, 2 way D with some offense and physicality, Tanev top 4 shutdown PMD, Hutton top 4 offensive D). You're apples and oranging.

 

I never said anything about Gudbranson, not sure why you'd bring him up? And for the record I was on board with Gudbranson before we even made the trade. Even made some trade proposals for him. Was thrilled when Benning got him for far less than I thought he'd cost. None of that has a thing to do with Edler.

 

His play really hasn't slipped much if at all. Sure there's probably a touch of age related decline but the only thing that's really changed is the team around him. The quality of his D partner, the rest of the top 4 (even 6) D and the quality and depth of forwards. It's very similar to the Sedins 'decline'. Give them a D core with a legit top pair, offensive PMD and secondary scoring/forward depth like we had from 2010-2012 and they'd likely be a lot closer to PPG players than they are now. Edler would likely be ~35+ point D again and our PP would not have looked so horrid the last few years.

 

People discount far too much just how good our team was those few years and how greatly the comparative lack of depth and quality has affected the remaining players performance. It's a TEAM sport. Our team has not been very good.

I know. It's because I raised him up in my original post :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edler is the only defenseman on the Canucks with the ability to play at the level of true #1 (Hutton may be able to in a couple of years or so).  We have all seen glimpses of it, so we do know it's there somewhere.  But a bit of a dichotomy, he can only play at an elite level when it's not expected to be the top guy.  

 

Times when Edler excelled:  

2007-09 - Salo was the main offensive guy, Ohlund/Mitchell as the main defensive guy

2010-11 - Salo/Ehrhoff the main offensive players, Hamhuis the main defensive guy

 

From 2012 on - Edler the main offensive defenseman -> start to see major cracks in his game, even a quiet 49 points season too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Edler is the only defenseman on the Canucks with the ability to play at the level of true #1 (Hutton may be able to in a couple of years or so).  We have all seen glimpses of it, so we do know it's there somewhere.  But a bit of a dichotomy, he can only play at an elite level when it's not expected to be the top guy.  

 

Times when Edler excelled:  

2007-09 - Salo was the main offensive guy, Ohlund/Mitchell as the main defensive guy

2010-11 - Salo/Ehrhoff the main offensive players, Hamhuis the main defensive guy

 

From 2012 on - Edler the main offensive defenseman -> start to see major cracks in his game, even a quiet 49 points season too.

Maybe its his turn now to be Ohlund/Mitchell or Salo /Erhoff or Hamuis to the young D coming in? Not hoping 1 of these guys can revitalize his play. His stats from 2012 to date surely don't suggest a true #1 by far overall the other Defence playing for the Canucks the same time frame.For the sake of the Canucks,  hopefully Guddy and Hutton GET a chance to prove to WD they have the skills to relieve him from playing so many #1D pairing minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.