The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Edler's current pace would put him on pace for 16 goals, 33 assists, and 49 points in 82 games. I never would have guessed in a million years he'd return to form like this again.

Wow.  Put that way it really shows what he is still capable of.  Good for him.

With that said, I find it hard to ignore this is a contract year and if he is signed more than a year I expect him to return to prior form, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Wow.  Put that way it really shows what he is still capable of.  Good for him.

With that said, I find it hard to ignore this is a contract year and if he is signed more than a year I expect him to return to prior form, unfortunately.

Fortunately, even last year was much better that the years prior. Obviously not as good as this year, but still quite solid. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Fortunately, even last year was much better that the years prior. Obviously not as good as this year, but still quite solid. 

Well yeah. He wasnt the darling of the minus club anymore.  That only proves to me that he started trying harder the closer the end of his contract got.

I would be happy to sign him for another couple of years with a ntc which I'm sure he will demand, and hope he can keep it up.

I do not, however, want to see a long contract.  Even if he triea as hard as he can, it wont be long before the years start catching up.

On 3/29/2019 at 1:13 PM, kloubek said:

Well yeah. He wasnt the darling of the minus club anymore.  That only proves to me that he started trying harder the closer the end of his contract got.

It tells me that as the team has improved around him, so has 'his' performance.

Do you guys not actually see the (OBVIOUS) pattern here? Back when we were a contending, president cup winning team, Edler = 'good:. When we were a thin, low talent team at the lowest points of the rebuild, Edler = 'bad'.

Now we're starting to trend up with a few young skilled players and increasing, quality depth around him and...

It's a team sport folks.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

It tells me that as the team has improved around him, so has 'his' performance.

Do you guys not actually see the (OBVIOUS) pattern here? Back when we were a contending, president cup winning team, Edler = 'good:. When we were a thin, low talent team at the lowest points of the rebuild, Edler = 'bad'.

Now we're starting to trend up with a few young skilled players and increasing, quality depth around him and...

It's a team sport folks.

I can see where there is an aspect of that, but please lets not fool ourselves into thinking we are THAT much better of a team.  I like how our young guys have stepped up and filled the void of leaving vets, but at the end of the day this season we have continued to be a bottom feeder in an easier West.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

I can see where there is an aspect of that, but please lets not fool ourselves into thinking we are THAT much better of a team.  I like how our young guys have stepped up and filled the void of leaving vets, but at the end of the day this season we have continued to be a bottom feeder in an easier West.

Did you see our team a few years ago? :wacko:

I'm mean, yeah, we still a ways off, but come on... This is worlds better.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Did you see our team a few years ago? :wacko:

I'm mean, yeah, we still a ways off, but come on... This is worlds better.

No doubt our team has lots more potential now than before.  This is faster, more exciting hockey to watch too.  However, our points say this team really isnt currently much better than the one we have iced in recent years past.

If it wasnt for Marky playing the way he has, we would be right at the very bottom of the league once again. Concidentily, I feel it is Marky's play that has helped mask our defensive deficiencies - including that of Edler.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, kloubek said:

No doubt our team has lots more potential now than before.  This is faster, more exciting hockey to watch too.  However, our points say this team really isnt currently much better than the one we have iced in recent years past.

If it wasnt for Marky playing the way he has, we would be right at the very bottom of the league once again. Concidentily, I feel it is Marky's play that has helped mask our defensive deficiencies - including that of Edler.

We're slightly ahead in points despite two future Hall of Fame players retiring and a huge amount of injuries. We're currently much better IMO.

And you never need apologize for having a good goal tender (which we also had when Edler was 'good'). Again, team sport.

Edited by aGENT

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

We're slightly ahead in points despite two future Hall of Fame players retiring and a huge amount of injuries. We're currently much better IMO.

And you never need apologize for having a good goal tender (which we also had when Edler was 'good'). Again, team sport.

Oh give me a break.

#1 - the 2 hall of famers you mention managed a grand total of 105 points last year. Together they managed 26 goals. So far....our rookie who never played a game in the NHL before this year got 27 goals with 3 games to go.  Sometimes your hyperbole makes me think Alflives has 2 accounts. 

Our rookie this year and sophmore got 120 points this year. Yes..yes...yea...I love the Sedins as much as anybody....but they were more than done last year. Their retirement was addition by subtraction at that point in their careers and everything stat wise agrees with that take.

#2 - injuries - we have HUGE injuries every year. EVERY YEAR. 

I am firmly with those who will be very disappointed if this team does not take a big step forward next year.

So NO...we are not MUCH better this year. Same number of points and still a bottom feeder. The team should get better each year for the next few years but many things could throw that trajectory off track. Hopefully, as another poster stated, we don't turn into deadmonton and keep spinning the wheels. This is year 5 of the rebuild. Time to take huge steps forward or even bigger changes are needed.

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Together they managed 26 goals. So far....our rookie who never played a game in the NHL before this year got 27 goals with 3 games to go. 

Our rookie this year and sophmore got 120 points this year. 

So you agree we're much better!:lol:

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So you agree we're much better!:lol:

No. The numbers show we are not. The lack of wins show we are not.

On a side note...where is Alflives? I wonder if he really did stroke out or something....it is not like him to not post 50 times a day.....concerning.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

7 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No. The numbers show we are not. The lack of wins show we are not.

On a side note...where is Alflives? I wonder if he really did stroke out or something....it is not like him to not post 50 times a day.....concerning.

We're on pace for a marginal bump in points despite handing the reigns over to green kids (and the aforementioned injuries). 

Better.

And I love how you go on about how much better the kids are than the decrepit Sedins... While stating how much better we aren't :lol:

Edited by aGENT

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Nope...no better. Same points. Same ole bottom feeder.

Results matter pal. ::D

No, context matters.

Green kids not vets, slight bump in points despite injuries = better and trending up.

• Upvote 2