The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

You would think that, but they have no shame; saying stupid things and being wrong over and over again doesn't faze the JB haters.

I am surprised and pleased at the 2 year term. I figured they would need to give him at least 3 years.

Maybe they have a 'gentlemanly agreement' to give him on more year minimum post the expansion draft. As a UFA it circumvents it, doesn't risk Seattle takes him even for one year, and if he can still play, we re-sign. He's willing to take that risk though, which should keep him motivated, which is great for us. He left 9 mil on the table to stay here. how many fans would give up  9 mil dollars? Easily could have got 7 mil x 3 on the open market

• Upvote 2

Just now, 18W-40C-6W said:

Maybe they have a 'gentlemanly agreement' to give him on more year minimum post the expansion draft. As a UFA it circumvents it, doesn't risk Seattle takes him even for one year, and if he can still play, we re-sign. He's willing to take that risk though, which should keep him motivated, which is great for us. He left 9 mil on the table to stay here. how many fans would give up  9 mil dollars? Easily could have got 7 mil x 3 on the open market

I believe this is likely the case.   All the people slamming him need to exercise patience in the future during these talks.  They OFTEN are reported as being "far away" because no one's bending...until they do.

He wants to be here and I'd much rather have that than someone who wants the big bucks TO be here.  Which would have been the case in signing a free agent.

He would have generated much more out there.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I believe this is likely the case.   All the people slamming him need to exercise patience in the future during these talks.  They OFTEN are reported as being "far away" because no one's bending...until they do.

He wants to be here and I'd much rather have that than someone who wants the big bucks TO be here.  Which would have been the case in signing a free agent.

He would have generated much more out there.  

He is as much a True Canuck as Smyl, Linden, the Twins, Burr, Gradin, etc. I would be nice to see the fans start showing this man the respect he deserves. He could have easily got 7 mil x 3 as a UFA. That money would be guaranteed, so he passed up 9 mil to stay a Canuck for his career and was willing to put the risk on himself to try and squeeze out another year with nothing signed. I am amazed at how unselfish this guy is, really. He's a throwback.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What about the Green New Deal?   :ph34r:

leave that in the other threads - lets enjoy the moment :P

really can't see how this signing could be any better for the Canucks moving forward. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Jimmy, this signing showed both a player with an ability to take a hometown contract perspective (likely argued more with his agent than with Canucks) and a management team sticking to firm resolve but still showing player respect.    Nice fit/mix.   This sort of deal gets noticed around entire league and builds curiosity with other potential veteran signings as well as within the current room with both players and their agents.  This is the sort of sense you get from this - stability.    It bodes well and also indicates that FINALLY the Canuck management had enough (barely still) depth that they could be this firm and they were fortunate to have such a loyal soldier to deal with for the process.    

yeah i was thinking that too - his agent likely wasn't impressed

hopefully there are a few more folks that show Jim and Edler a little more respect, or at least just stay silent for a day or two 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

If Canucks are non playoff team next year.... do you see Edler being moved at the Trade deadline in 2020.

With another year on his contract he could a valuable trade asset to a playoff team next spring....

He has a NMC so no. He's not being traded next season. 99% certain. Over 99% certain. lol

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If Canucks are non playoff team next year.... do you see Edler being moved at the Trade deadline in 2020.

With another year on his contract he could a valuable trade asset to a playoff team next spring....

I think Eddie pretty much sunk that ship during the past 2yrs of TDs.  Might as well give up on that dream (although it's a lovely dream).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

He has a NMC so no. He's not being traded next season. 99% certain. Over 99% certain. lol

Thanks. I haven't been following the story.  Didn't realize he had a NMC.

Either way it is a good contract for the club.   Gives the younger D men 2 years to develop their NHL game.

• Wat 1

glad to see Edler stay for 2 more seasons. Hes still the best we got and hopefully hughes and others will develop into more solid D. 2 years is a long itme so team will change a bit of course. but with hughes and stecher Edler and a healthy (!) Tanev its not that bad. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Edler will not play for another team. After this latest contract that is clear and kinda seems set in stone. He will play out these two years and if he is still a good D man then he probably gets another 2 year contract from the Canucks. Depends on his play as he gets older I suppose.

• Upvote 1

Really excited about this deal. We needed Edler back if we're goong to try to push for the playoffs next year. The term is team-friendly, expires when Hughes and Pettersson's ELCs are up and we'll need the cap room. Assuming he'll be declining by the time this deal exprires, it always leaves the possibility of him re-signing a small contract to play in a reduced roll down the road too.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Alex Edler is going to cement himself as this franchises greatest dman in the next two years of this contract. 

Say what you want about Alex, but he took a huge discount on term and AAV to play in a city he loves. 

This guy loves this town. He exercised his NTC and I'll respect him for life for it... Especially considering the big discount he gave. He wants to win here. He will win here. 

My advice to people would be, draft Alex early. Especially if your league has hits and blocks. I could see him passing 45-55 points in the next year and after. 

• Cheers 2