The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

47 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

I have a feeling edler will be a stop gap captain for a year or two.

I would agree, but then ask: A stop gap for what? To wait until Horvat is ready? Despite his age, I'm not sure how anyone can argue he's not ready for leadership given he's already taken that role informally within the team. If we didn't have any leaders ready, I'd be down for Edler as a stop gap captain, but I think Horvat is very ready to step into that role.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I would agree, but then ask: A stop gap for what? To wait until Horvat is ready? Despite his age, I'm not sure how anyone can argue he's not ready for leadership given he's already taken that role informally within the team. If we didn't have any leaders ready, I'd be down for Edler as a stop gap captain, but I think Horvat is very ready to step into that role.

Green seems hesitant based on recent comments, and I'm starting to get it more and more. Bo leads on the ice but I could see how maybe he doesnt lead completely in the room. I can see him being the leader of the youth but is he ready to play leader to the vets? Bo's personality is slightly shy, reserved. I do think he will end up captain, but I think maybe he matures another year or two before he's the true leader of that room.

we dont see what happens off the ice most of the time. I'm speculating that green seems to be hesitant because he sees that horvat simply isnt the natural of the squad quite yet, at least when it comes to off-ice dynamics.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The team will go without a captain if it’s not Bo.  

I really don't think so. Theyre pushing for the playoffs this year. Last year it made sense because it was more of a development year and the coaching staff knew that going in. This year they need more solidity. I'd be surprised if they continued without a captain this year.

22 hours ago, Yung1 said:

Green seems hesitant based on recent comments, and I'm starting to get it more and more. Bo leads on the ice but I could see how maybe he doesnt lead completely in the room. I can see him being the leader of the youth but is he ready to play leader to the vets? Bo's personality is slightly shy, reserved. I do think he will end up captain, but I think maybe he matures another year or two before he's the true leader of that room.

we dont see what happens off the ice most of the time. I'm speculating that green seems to be hesitant because he sees that horvat simply isnt the natural of the squad quite yet, at least when it comes to off-ice dynamics.

Bo is a vet.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Bo is a vet.

He's also 24.

Put it this way. I'm 25 and a Sales Manager at the company I work for. I'm in the process of hiring someone. I'm getting resumes from people who are 30+ and I'm extremely hesitant to interview them because I know that ultimately it will be hard for them to take orders and direction from someone so much younger than them. It takes a extremely humble and ego-less person to be led by a younger person. yes, there have been younger captains in the past, but they're usually a borderline generational talent on a team that lacks veteran leadership. 

These are the dynamics that a coach has to consider when deciding on a captain. Ultimately it comes down to the individual and their ability to command respect. Maybe bo has that, but I understand green saying that he has to make sure whomever they pick is ready.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yung1 said:

He's also 24.

Put it this way. I'm 25 and a Sales Manager at the company I work for. I'm in the process of hiring someone. I'm getting resumes from people who are 30+ and I'm extremely hesitant to interview them because I know that ultimately it will be hard for them to take orders and direction from someone so much younger than them. It takes a extremely humble and ego-less person to be led by a younger person. yes, there have been younger captains in the past, but they're usually a borderline generational talent on a team that lacks veteran leadership. 

These are the dynamics that a coach has to consider when deciding on a captain. Ultimately it comes down to the individual and their ability to command respect. Maybe bo has that, but I understand green saying that he has to make sure whomever they pick is ready.

Hardest worker on the team. He leads by example like every great captain.

He will have no problem commanding respect. If anyone has a problem following the hardest worker on the team they shouldn’t be on the team.

Also a captain is nothing like a manager. Captains don’t give orders to players. There will be many leaders in the room that can speak up, Bo will be one of a leadership group.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He will have no problem commanding respect. If anyone has a problem following the hardest worker on the team they shouldn’t be on the team.

Also a captain is nothing like a manager. Captains don’t give orders to players. There will be many leaders in the room that can speak up, Bo will be one of a leadership group.

Yeah.  Your captain needs to lead by example and Bo does that night in an night out.  He has a hard complete game, doesn’t get intimidated and can physically handle himself with anyone but the absolute giants.  

A manager would be more analogous to a coach - which is why it’s rare to find younger guys in HC roles even though they can pick up the X’s and O’s easily enough.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/21/2019 at 1:44 PM, DeNiro said:

First off, let me just say that I could definitely be wrong about this.

Second, I agree that being a Captain isn't the same as being a Manager, but there's some cross-over. Captain's will sometimes need to get someone in line when theyre slacking off/ being diruptive/ not working towards the goals of the team, like a Manager. That's where I could see there being some trouble if the coaching staff feels Bo doesn't command that level of respect with the 30-40 crowd quite yet.

I'm not saying this to knock Bo at all. Love the guy. Full of heart and has very strong character, but he also doesn't strike me as your prototypical alpha-male, and maybe it takes his personality type a bit longer to command that respect from all players. And I'm not saying that captain have to be that prototypical alpha-male, but if you're going to captain a team at 24, having that as a natural trait helps.

Again, i could be wrong about this. It just seems that Green is hesitant to give him the C and this is my speculation as to why.

Edited by Yung1
words
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Yung1 said:

Second, I agree that being a Captain isn't the same as being a Manager, but there's some cross-over. Captain's will sometimes need to get some one in line when theyre slacking off/ being siruptive/ not working towards the goals of the team, like a Manager. That's where I could see there being some trouble if the coaching staff feels Bo doesn't command that level of respect with the 30-40 crowd quite yet.

I'm not saying this to knock Bo at all. Love the guy. Full of heart and has very strong character, but he also doesn't strike me as your prototypical alpha-male, and maybe it takes his personality type a bit longer to command that respect from all players. And I'm not saying that captain have to be that prototypical alpha-male, but if you're going to captain a team at 24, having that as a natural trait helps.

Again, i could be wrong about this. It just seems that Green is hesitant to give him the C and this is my speculation as to why.

A lot of good points. I would point out that Linden was the youngest captain in his era at 21(?). Some players lead by example and others motivate by being vocal. Older vets likely respect any player who plays the game in a honest way. Bo has the ability to make big plays on either side of the puck. I suspect his standing in the dressing room is known by not just the players but the coaches as well. Since I think the team will make playoffs this year I do think a Captain is needed. 

• Upvote 1

On August 22, 2019 at 3:48 PM, Boudrias said:

A lot of good points. I would point out that Linden was the youngest captain in his era at 21(?). Some players lead by example and others motivate by being vocal. Older vets likely respect any player who plays the game in a honest way. Bo has the ability to make big plays on either side of the puck. I suspect his standing in the dressing room is known by not just the players but the coaches as well. Since I think the team will make playoffs this year I do think a Captain is needed. 

Considering that at the top of JB's priority list for acquiring players has been captain-like character, and the team and prospect pipeline is loaded with character players, I don't agree that a captain is needed. Bo and the other character players will lead whether they wear A's or a C or no letter at all.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:09 PM, Yung1 said:

Second, I agree that being a Captain isn't the same as being a Manager, but there's some cross-over. Captain's will sometimes need to get someone in line when theyre slacking off/ being diruptive/ not working towards the goals of the team, like a Manager. That's where I could see there being some trouble if the coaching staff feels Bo doesn't command that level of respect with the 30-40 crowd quite yet.

Sutter, Edler, Eriksson, Biega & Benn?   Wouldn't worry about that 'crowd'.

Bo is the kind of player that loves having a challenge.  He steps up and improves his game every time he has one.  I think he would be a terrific captain; ala Trevor Linden.  A warrior, leading the way with determination, consistency and a never surrender mindset.  He will turn 25yrs this season and will be an NHL vet. 

If the team is to choose a C, Bo is the guy I would want.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...