The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

14 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Anybody else getting Erhoff Edler vibes???

Ehrhoff was a pretty different player from Myers IMO. Ehrhoff was more elite offensively and probably a fair bit better overall. I would be stunned if Myers hit 45-50 points this year. I still feel like Myers has been very good so far though.

16 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

The fact that he's sneaking up on burr with a similar number of games played goes to show how great a defenseman Edler has been for us. He had a few rocky years there after major back surgery, but man has he ever been good outside of those few years.

As what I've always said about Edler... he can play like a #1 defenseman... when he isn't expected to be the #1 guy.  

He played some of his best hockey when was the #2 shutdown guy, when players like Ohlund, Mitchell, and Hamhuis were the primary shutdown defenseman.

He also played some of his best hockey when was the #2 offensive guy, when Ehrhoff and Salo were the primary threats from the blueline.  

Since the current roster is significantly stronger than recent years, he seems to play a bit more relaxed and confident... like he doesn't have to struggle to carry the team on his shoulders.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

As what I've always said about Edler... he can play like a #1 defenseman... when he isn't expected to be the #1 guy.  

He played some of his best hockey when was the #2 shutdown guy, when players like Ohlund, Mitchell, and Hamhuis were the primary shutdown defenseman.

He also played some of his best hockey when was the #2 offensive guy, when Ehrhoff and Salo were the primary threats from the blueline.  

Since the current roster is significantly stronger than recent years, he seems to play a bit more relaxed and confident... like he doesn't have to struggle to carry the team on his shoulders.  

#team sport

It's almost like the quality of your team mates has an effect on your play...

;)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

This is a good take on it.

Plus this year Edler does not have to be the only physical D man we have.  Myers and Benn both help in that regard.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Playing Edler 25 minutes  a game won't work over a season. It is early yet and I can understand why Green is doing this but at some point he has to be eased back to 

20 - 22 TOI. At the 15 - 20 game mark we will see changes. 

Agreed, it's a long season and if they do make the playoffs it would be nice to have the Eagle rested a little through the year.

I'm glad he is getting love though, I quite often have to defend the guy while I wear my Edler jersey.

Sure he never quite became a top tier true number one, but the guy has been a stud for us for a very long time.

• Upvote 2

On 10/20/2019 at 11:01 AM, Kosmo Kramer said:

Agreed, it's a long season and if they do make the playoffs it would be nice to have the Eagle rested a little through the year.

I'm glad he is getting love though, I quite often have to defend the guy while I wear my Edler jersey.

Sure he never quite became a top tier true number one, but the guy has been a stud for us for a very long time.

In some hearts (including mine), he became a top tier true number one.

i love you GIF

Edited by Cocolocci

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 7:47 AM, Boudrias said:

Playing Edler 25 minutes  a game won't work over a season. It is early yet and I can understand why Green is doing this but at some point he has to be eased back to 

20 - 22 TOI. At the 15 - 20 game mark we will see changes. 

His ice time has actually gone up since then. :shock: